Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 01:59 PM

39 posts, read 89,828 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, we need your help!
My husband and I are a young couple with a 9 month old son. We currently live in Columbus, Ohio and are finding it a drag! I've grown up in NY, and my husband in Karachi. We both lived in Dubai as well and loved it, except from the obvious problems there, we decided to move to the US. We have some family in columbus and therefore decided to move here first and then pick a state. We really want a fun place, that has a good pakistani community. We need good schools, low cost of living, low housing costs, low crime rate, etc..you know a top city sort of place. We are considering Houston but don't know how bad the weather really is, and if we want to sacrifice good weather for everything else. What are some other good areas? Is North Carolina a good place for us? Please help us, all suggestions and information would be useful. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 02:13 PM

1,126 posts, read 4,561,398 times
i'm not pakistani but found some info

Pakistani American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

large Pakistani populations in New Jersey, Queens, Brooklyn, LA, Detroit, Chicago Houston seem like good fits

also found this http://ncpaa.org/
The Pakistani American Anjuman is a non-political, non-sectarian, cultural and social organization that strives to promote the presence of the people from Pakistan living in the Triangle area of North Carolina. Our mission is to provide cultural and social interaction for the families and individuals of the Pakistani community and to offer a variety of programs and services to its members.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:20 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
The Dallas/Fort Worth area has a very large Pakistani community, the one in Houston is a little larger.

We have more Indians than Houston, but less Pakistanis, but the margin on both is very small.

If you choose Houston, you should like it. Its a friendly city.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:56 PM

thanks guys for the info.. houston is topping my list these days, but i'm not sure if the weather will affect quality of life for us, is it a hinderance to outdoor activities, or daytime activities in general?

Old 03-16-2010, 09:45 AM

LAnative are you pakistani?

Old 03-16-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsyrax View Post
LAnative are you pakistani?
Haha, no. Im Middle Eastern. I have many friends here in Dallas that are Pakistani. My old roomate from college married a Pakistani woman from Richardson (a burb of Dallas) and he relocated here to be with her and her family 4 years ago. I have had a chance to hang out with her and her family and they are very warm people.

Our accountant for my office here is also Pakistani. He was in an arranged marriage back in Lahore and the woman he married entire family lives in Dallas. So when the time came to move to North America, they came here.

I cant speak for Houston, because I dont know as much about the South Asian community there (beyond the fact that Dallas has more Indians and Houston has more Pakistanis), but there are alot of South Asian ammenities here in DFW.

http://www.everestheights.com/

Home

KZMP-FM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We have a South Asian radio station, TV station, and several Bollywood type theaters. Everest Heights is supposed to be the first large South Asian mall in the US when its done (in Irving).

I dont know if any of this is of any help or appealing in any way to you, but I thought I would throw it out there.

Hope it helps a little.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:19 PM

Wow thanks LaNative, you are really kind to share all this information with me. It really does help me alot, deciding to move to an unknown area is very confusing and any info on the potential area can be of great help so we can decide. Dallas seems to be a very diverse area, and I'm glad to here that because its one of the main factors of why we want to move. How do you like the weather down there? i here its hot

Old 03-16-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsyrax View Post
Wow thanks LaNative, you are really kind to share all this information with me. It really does help me alot, deciding to move to an unknown area is very confusing and any info on the potential area can be of great help so we can decide. Dallas seems to be a very diverse area, and I'm glad to here that because its one of the main factors of why we want to move. How do you like the weather down there? i here its hot
One of the things you would have to get used to if you moved to Texas (anywhere in Texas) is the heat. Dallas and Houston are both hot cities. Its a slightly different kind of heat. Dallas is more of a furnace blast and Houston is more of a sauna. Considering I like heat, it works well for me.

I understand that moving to a new place is confusing. My wife and I are from LA. There were a few things to adjust to, but overall it wasnt that much of a culture shock.

What I can say is that the DFW area offers good schools, cheap housing, a very large South Asian community, and friendly people. I know Houston offers those things too. It really comes down to a matter of preference.

What I would suggest is to take a few days and visit both Dallas and Houston. Make sure to visit the suburbs of both (particularly Sugar Land and Katy in Houston and Richardson, Plano, and Irving in Dallas) since they are the best for what it sounds like you are looking for. Give them both a shot and I think you will have a better idea. You cant go wrong with either. Both have tons of ammenities for South Asian families.

If you do decide to visit Dallas, feel free to PM me if I can be of assistance.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:19 PM

64 posts, read 105,655 times
Hi everyone. I am not a Pakistani but a Brit with Pakistani heritage. Just wondering how is life in US as compared to UK? I was pondering moving to USA for the climate and space but after living in a country where there is always negative media coverage of immigrants I don't want to go somewhere with a similar outlook. I always thought America would be more welcoming since everyone there is immigrant anyway. Is it the case or not?

Old 03-16-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shokaro View Post
Hi everyone. I am not a Pakistani but a Brit with Pakistani heritage. Just wondering how is life in US as compared to UK? I was pondering moving to USA for the climate and space but after living in a country where there is always negative media coverage of immigrants I don't want to go somewhere with a similar outlook. I always thought America would be more welcoming since everyone there is immigrant anyway. Is it the case or not?
America has something for everyone. It all depends on what you like, but I bet you could find some place that would fit you in one of our 50 states if you would like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.