U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

America: college, university, cross country travel, downtown, affordable.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 04:46 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,048,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
I recommend US-2, going west from Michigan. You probably won't be able to handle it any farther than Minneapolis. When my parents pulled that (going east from Montana back to Michigan), I made sure I had extra batteries for my Game Boy.
M TYPE-- I gotta quibble with you here. US 2 doesn't go through Minneapolis. From the UP of MI it goes west across northern WI, into Duluth MN, then westward to Grand Forks, ND and beyond. You must've been really deep into that gameboy!

Some trivia: Did you know there is also an eastern segment of US 2? It starts in Northern ME, runs thru NH and VT to the Canadian border at Rouses Point, NY. I guess the most direct way to get to the western segment is to drive thru Canada to Sault Ste. Marie! Bring your passport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 08:07 PM

7,820 posts, read 12,326,456 times
Thanks for the reply everyone! Route 6 especially sounds appealing especially with all those pictures from Pennsylvania

Its sad that the "reality" most people seem to experience is just strip malls and chain stores.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:39 PM

7,820 posts, read 12,326,456 times
Default Maryland border to Shanksville, PA on US 219

Hey, those of you from Pennsylvania (ScrantonWilkesBarre?? ) I think there's actually something I can do in the immediate future.

In September, I'm going with my family to Deep Creek Lake in Western Maryland and according to Mapquest its just an hour drive from there to the Flight 93 Memorial in Shanksville to pay our respects to the heroes and victims there. It's an excursion that we really think will be worthwhile.

How's U.S. Highway 219 from Interstate 68 up into Somerset County? Is it a pleasant, unharried drive through the countryside and idllyic small towns? I felt this could be one of those short but fitting all-American experiences I've been talking about. Going to visit a site commemorating one of the most tragic days in our nation's history, and on the way experiencing the America away from the Interstates and the suburbs. The town of Shanksville itself also seems like one of those cute places worth just strolling through for an afternoon, maybe grabbing lunch someplace local.

Any opinions? Would this be a nice trip to take?

Old 06-06-2007, 02:46 PM

30,196 posts, read 67,339,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
Hey, those of you from Pennsylvania (ScrantonWilkesBarre??
That's me! Yep, yep!

Quote:
In September, I'm going with my family to Deep Creek Lake in Western Maryland and according to Mapquest its just an hour drive from there to the Flight 93 Memorial in Shanksville to pay our respects to the heroes and victims there. It's an excursion that we really think will be worthwhile.
I'm envious. I've always wanted to visit the Western Maryland Panhandle. McHenry, Frostburg, and Cumberland all beckon to me for some reason. Perhaps that will be a destination for a scenic photo tour in the future?

Quote:
How's U.S. Highway 219 from Interstate 68 up into Somerset County? Is it a pleasant, unharried drive through the countryside and idllyic small towns? I felt this could be one of those short but fitting all-American experiences I've been talking about. Going to visit a site commemorating one of the most tragic days in our nation's history, and on the way experiencing the America away from the Interstates and the suburbs. The town of Shanksville itself also seems like one of those cute places worth just strolling through for an afternoon, maybe grabbing lunch someplace local.
It won't be as "interesting" as you seem to be getting your hopes up for. Somerset County is a relatively-impoverished, rural part of PA, and the small towns aren't quite as "well-kept" as some of the more vibrant ones in other parts of PA that I have photographed and have received mass praise for. Also, I don't quite know why you think Shanksville is large enough to spend an entire afternoon in; it's just a tiny little rural hamlet with some homes and perhaps a church. The county seat of Somerset County (also called "Somerset"), may prove to be more fulfilling as far as strolling around a small downtown area with shops, restaurants, etc.

Quote:
Any opinions? Would this be a nice trip to take?
Yes and no. It would be awe-inspiring to visit the Flight 93 Memorial and to feel so moved by the sights around you and to try to relive the courage and bravery expressed by the passengers on that flight back on
9/11, but the trek between MD and Shanksville is mostly just going to be trees, farmlands, strip mines, etc.---not bustling small downtowns with diners on the corner. I'd still recommend a visit to Somerset itself though, and the town of Meyersdale may be nice to drive through and feel like you're taking a "step back in time."

Old 06-06-2007, 02:49 PM

30,196 posts, read 67,339,144 times
Default Meyersdale, PA

In fact, here's a little more information on Meyersdale, PA, which isn't far from the MD border. I've been poking around this web site and am starting to fall in love with this town:

Meyersdale, Pennsylvania

Old 06-06-2007, 04:04 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,874,864 times
Default Highest Point In PA

Terrapin2212 & ScrantonWilkesBarre

While in the Meyersdale area, I highly recommend that both of you visit Mt Davis, the highest point in PA. I walked to the tower along an almost level trail many years ago. There is a good view from the tower. I seem to recall that you can see into Ohio, West Virginia, & Maryland. Every PA lover should make a committment to standing on the highest point in the state.

Mt. Davis -- Highest Point in PA (broken link)

Mt. Davis Pennsylvania

Hike for Health - Pa. DCNR

Also check out highpointers.org for information on the highest point in all 50 states.

Have fun....Franco

Old 06-07-2007, 12:40 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,282,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
M TYPE-- I gotta quibble with you here. US 2 doesn't go through Minneapolis. From the UP of MI it goes west across northern WI, into Duluth MN, then westward to Grand Forks, ND and beyond. You must've been really deep into that gameboy!
Nope, as the parents got tired of their stupid idea to stay on the road and they broke towards Minneapolis and good ole I-94!

... like I said, I was playing Gameboy in the back of a first-generation Mazda MPV, so I wasn't exactly navigating for them, but it was nice to stay in a real hotel for once.

The last time I was in Duluth or at Lutsen was in the late 1990s or so. It's a long trek from anywhere in Illinois or Michigan.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:39 PM

4,102 posts, read 7,364,245 times
So uneducated, redneck, country music-loving conservatives are the real America? Do you have any advice on where to go see the best laundromats and ricehat stores in the real Taiwan?

Old 06-07-2007, 02:44 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,866,572 times
I've always been a bit irked that so many people consider rural america the only 'real america'

Old 06-07-2007, 03:07 PM

5,641 posts, read 17,312,650 times
No one really thinks that rural america is the real one. But it is the "america" that is less accessible to most. Anyone can buy a ticket and fly to NYC.

I did a route 66 tour from Chicago to St. Louis and back and it was pretty cool. But we got lost a lot as there are several alignments. There are a lot of museums along the way, and there are several organized groups that do yearly tours you could maybe hook up with.

Someday we are going to take it farther west.

We have gone driving off the main drag and that is mostly when you find the coolest stuff. We have seen some pretty neat festivals and towns and good eats in our travels. Of course getting lost is in that equation! Make sure you have a good map or a gps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or