U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 12:23 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,889,510 times

Advertisements

HI.....

I lived in the Capitol Hill section of Seattle in a grand old victorian home in 1979-80. I met my wife there so I have fond memories of Seattle. I tremendously enjoyed the year I spent in Seattle. I left Seattle for LA a few days before Mt St Helens blew up. I haven't been back since 1980, so I might be shocked at the changes that have taken place since then. To this day I often think, "If God said, Franco, you must live in a big American city, but you can choose which one.".....I'd Pick Seattle.

Many Blessings.....Franco

PS: I prefer living in towns with a population of less than 100,000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 12:27 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,924,218 times
I like Seattle, but find Portland more manageable overall and perhaps more soulful--in the right way.

I don't see that the gentrification did Seattle in, but perhaps as soon as we find a city listed as the best of anything---it becomes the worst of itself and a shadow self. I saw it happen to Providence (RI) and Taos (NM) and I'm sure we could name others.

But if we had to pick cities, in the plural, I do think Seattle continues to rank highly.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:57 PM

5,373 posts, read 12,991,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown stuntman View Post
Seattle bashing seems to be en vogue these days: there is a plethora of websites chastising the Seattle of today. There are things I like about Seattle to this day and regionally speaking, it is a terrific place to visit, perhaps live. But what struck me the last time I spent there was how badly downtown has decayed and zero vibrancy after dark. It isn't safe, even right by Pike Place Market. And what has become of Pioneer Square dear god? The downtown area has become a morgue after dark with crackheads wandering the middle of the streets at every turn. This isn't the Seattle I recall ten years ago. On a side note, downtown Portland isn't anything noteworthy in itself either: I too love the surrounding region, but the heart of Portland is lacking vitality.
Just the other evening I was in downtown Seattle for a night of fun. I will be the first to say our dt needs more life after dark. But I must say that it has improved so much over the past 10 years imo. Along 1st Avenue from Belltown through Pioneer Square I was blown away by the throngs of people and traffic. Also when you take a look at most big city downtowns in North America you will find less than a handful with life after dark. You will find some with pockets of activity. With well over 20 residential projects underway including the 4Seasons Hotel & Residence at 1st and Union, 1521 Second, Escala at 4th & Stewart, 5th & Madison condos, plus the new lighrail coming in 09 things are only getting better. I think more dt residence is the key. Check out these two Seattle links.
Urban Condominiums Go to the top and check out Cityscape 2010
Here is another good link. Plymouth Housing Group (broken link)

Old 06-05-2007, 02:17 PM

792 posts, read 2,904,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Just the other evening I was in downtown Seattle for a night of fun. I will be the first to say our dt needs more life after dark. But I must say that it has improved so much over the past 10 years imo. Along 1st Avenue from Belltown through Pioneer Square I was blown away by the throngs of people and traffic. Also when you take a look at most big city downtowns in North America you will find less than a handful with life after dark. You will find some with pockets of activity. With well over 20 residential projects underway including the 4Seasons Hotel & Residence at 1st and Union, 1521 Second, Escala at 4th & Stewart, 5th & Madison condos, plus the new lighrail coming in 09 things are only getting better. I think more dt residence is the key. Check out these two Seattle links.
Urban Condominiums Go to the top and check out Cityscape 2010
Here is another good link. Plymouth Housing Group (broken link)

Maybe it was the time of year versus the last visit, but does downtown Seattle basically shut down in the winter months after dark? I know the air seemed mild for anyone who lives in the northeast, but maybe whatever your acclimated to is considered cold when it is the month of Feb. I explored Pioneer Square this past Feb. two nights, including a Friday evening and almost every thing was shut down and I felt I was in the hood. As I drove the streets, it was reminiscent of a scene from "Night of the Living Dead" and didn't even dare to park. We just shrugged our shoulders finally, booked it, and called it a night. We were miffed why Seattle even was trying to promote the square after dark in some of its tourism pamphlets. The only sign of downtown nightlife was more to the north end of the city center. Is it that Seattle only comes alive after May when it is warmer and less cloudy days?

Old 06-05-2007, 02:30 PM

5,373 posts, read 12,991,955 times
^^^^Lol many times in the winter I have noticed Pioneer Square on the dead side. But in its defense it might look empty but lots of times you go into the nightclubs and they're packed. The same with other parts of downtown. You will definately see more people in the dt streets during the spring and summer months. Believe me, living here for 7 years I go out, especially downtown during ALL months. Also me coming from the northeast I find Seattle winter temps so nice.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:52 PM

373 posts, read 1,706,064 times
Don't a lot of Seattle people seem like they're trying to continue the college lifestyle way on into their 30s or even longer? It's just odd compared to most places in that respect.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:59 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,889,510 times
Default Maybe it's a good thing!

lorelei2873

Maybe it's a good thing that people are extending their college lifestyle. I really can't say for sue. Just because one generation did certain things at certain ages, doesn't mean that it has to be that way or that it is the right way. Maybe the younger people are just smarter and they realize that enjoying life is more important than being workaholics like myself and many others in the boomer generation. Hats off to the college lifestyle!

Many Blessings

Old 06-06-2007, 11:09 AM

373 posts, read 1,706,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by francowell View Post
lorelei2873

Maybe it's a good thing that people are extending their college lifestyle. I really can't say for sue. Just because one generation did certain things at certain ages, doesn't mean that it has to be that way or that it is the right way. Maybe the younger people are just smarter and they realize that enjoying life is more important than being workaholics like myself and many others in the boomer generation. Hats off to the college lifestyle!

Many Blessings
I would want to clarify that I am in the generation that I am talking about and think it's strange. I find the folks in Seattle to be much different in that respect than my friends from other areas of the country. Most of my sister's friends still have roommates, none of them are married or have kids, only a couple have a house, and they all work for non-profits and have theme parties like we did in college (like jungle juice or 80s parties). Many of them have colored hair and are actively involved in myspace. My sis is actually a designer in Everett, so it's not like she's hanging with a Capitol Hill crowd. Her neighbor came home and said he'd been out dancing all afternoon at a street function. He was wasted and was wearing funny glasses. Most of my other friends in different areas have kids and are busy working on their yards. Our social lives are the occasional concert or some sort of sports league. We're in our 30s!

Old 06-06-2007, 11:23 AM

561 posts, read 1,034,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acs.1979 View Post
...I live in Portland, but I have been to Seattle many times. As far as the 2 cities go, I actually like Portland much better than Seattle. In my humble opinion, we in PDX have more, and better pubs/bars, more independent microbreweries, a stronger music scene, a "greener" urban core, and a generally more relaxed pace. Though smaller, I think our downtown area is much nicer, more walk able, and has more interesting, more independent, stores/shops than Seattle's. While Seattle caters more to tourists as evident by all the crappy bootleg t-shirt shops, Portland caters more to its residents. We don't have a lot of "bling" to make out of towners awe struck, but those who live here know that there is always something fun & interesting going on, you just have to know where to look.

Who the hell would pay like $10.00 to take an elevator up to the top of the space needle anyway? Not me.

On the flip side, I would trade being located between the Willamette & the Columbia rivers for being located at the edge of the Puget Sound in a heartbeat. That is the one thing that I envy about Seattle.
That sums it up just about perfectly. I think the main reason I still live in Seattle is the gorgeous geography (water, mountains on both sides). But the more and more I think about it the more shallow that seems (and Portland's geography is nice, just not as striking as Seattle's).

I think if it this way: Seattle is like a beautiful woman with a bitchy personality, while Portland is like a plain-looking woman with a great personality. I'm getting tired of dealing with the shallow, neurotic wench, and want someone nicer even if they aren't quite as pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown stuntman View Post
... On a side note, downtown Portland isn't anything noteworthy in itself either: I too love the surrounding region, but the heart of Portland is lacking vitality.
I completely disagree. Downtown isn't hugely magnificent like most larger cities, but that's why I like it. Downtown Portland is designed on a more modest human paradigm, giving it a more homely small-town feel (but with all the cultural amenities and attractions of a city). Portland is about the only place left where the best elements of both larger cities (resources, cultural attractions) and smaller rural areas (relaxed, amicable atmosphere) coexist.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:21 PM

792 posts, read 2,904,780 times
Not sure what cultural amenities and attractions stand out about downtown Portland vs. any other place. I also heard so much about the parks system, recreation- well I believe it, but not downtown as some I read would want you to believe. And personally, while less livable, I believe downtown Indianapolis even has alot more vitality than does downtown Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or