U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 08:26 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,914,464 times

Advertisements

I always wonder how these reports get generated, or how data is evaluated.

I found Pittsburgh drivers to be among the least courteous after spending 6 weeks in town recently. They honk incessantly, crawl up your rear, and make sudden turns that could cause an accident in a matter of seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parasol View Post
Portland, Seattle, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, and Dallas have the most courteous drivers according to the yearly AutoVantage Road Rage survey.
https://www.autovantage.com/global/s...vAUTVANonlgs01
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 08:29 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,914,464 times
Most New England drivers are courteous; but yes, MA does stand out as more unruly and less apt to stay in a lane or keep to a speed limit. ME drivers do appear more patient overall.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:48 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,283,363 times
Ohio is the slowest, nearly anywhere in the state, but especially in the large cities (Cleveland/Columbus/Cincinnati).

Yes, the upper peninsula of Michigan has old folks that drive slow. It's not anywhere as irritating as driving in Ohio.

Illinois is a mix of fast and slow, as are North Carolina and Virginia.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:37 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,210,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I always wonder how these reports get generated, or how data is evaluated.
I found Pittsburgh drivers to be among the least courteous after spending 6 weeks in town recently. They honk incessantly, crawl up your rear, and make sudden turns that could cause an accident in a matter of seconds.
I was out near Pittsburgh years ago and didn't have that great an experience either,since it is still PA I would have expected that. Things didn't really slow down until I got to IN.
I think that report was generated by only the people that participated in that particular survey.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Illinois is a mix of fast and slow, as are North Carolina and Virginia.
I'll agree on the NC one. Some of the people observe the laws,others just don't seem to care at all. It is the home of NASCAR afterall

Old 06-06-2007, 09:57 AM

4,723 posts, read 13,925,160 times
FLORIDA!!!>all you often see behind the wheel is a pair of knuckles and white hair

Old 06-06-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
FLORIDA!!!>all you often see behind the wheel is a pair of knuckles and white hair
I dunno where that is,that seems be the stereotypical response. All I saw while down in Fla was flashes going by me...

Old 06-06-2007, 04:32 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,907,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionablecowboy View Post
Maine (except for Portland) and Missouri (except for around St Louis and KC) have very well-mannered drivers. Generally speaking though, the farther south you go, the slower they are in America.. but not in all cases.

Here's my most and least favorites:

Maine-(far from much civilization)
Missouri-(close to the best driving experience I've ever had)
Denver-(not too bad, but interstate 25 is a raceway and redlights that never change green)
San Diego-(really friendly drivers which tends to dissapear once you get on a freeway)
Phoenix-(well-planned, but you still got jerks who want to cut you off on the I-10)
West Virginia-(If I have to drive on that interstate once more--I swear I'll cut my wrists!)
New Hampshire-(bit hurried compare to Maine counterparts, but rarely tailgate or drive dumb like Massachusetts)
Las Vegas-(jerks galore and new housing daily)
L.A.-(traffic 24/7, so people don't plan on getting somewhere in 5 minutes anymore)
Providence(what a little zoo full of graffiti and vandalism. There's nothing of importance there-so why the rush? -Well, they want to leave and quickly get to places like NYC and Boston.)
Portland, OR(not too bad, very good plannning)
Chicago(Boston of the MidWest, manners don't exist..)
Florida -(horrible drivers, i hear it all the time many w/o insurance)
San Francisco-(not the traffic persay-but driving-wise their heads are up their butts!)
NYC-(the manhattan grid aka the zoo york-so horrible horrible driving,,)
(YES, I driven in all of these place.. I am a traveling nut)

Avoid anywhere from Massachusetts, CT, RI, downstate NY, or NJ)

Besides Chicago, I've noticed that drivers in Illinois are among the slowest I've ever seen. THe speed limit on Illinois interstates in the country is 65 mph...some people will go faster than that....other people I've noticed just like to go 55 mph....I can't express my frustration on how many people have cut in front of me going 10 miles under the speed limit.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:28 PM

148 posts, read 692,286 times
Seattle, hands down.

I have lived in several majors cities throughout the U.S. and have never seen anything quite like it. People in Seattle drive very passive and very, very slow. Try about 55/60mph on the open freeway and at least 5mph under the limit on side roads, which have a ridiculously low speed limit to begin with. It can be refreshing knowing that people are not going to try to run you off the road when you’re driving, but most of the time it becomes very frustrating being stuck behind four cars in each of the four lanes on the freeway, and they are all driving the same exact speed -- 55/60mph -- again, on the open freeway.

What’s more, people in Seattle drive so passive/inattentive that they become lackadaisical. In other words, be on your guard. It’s common for people to back up without looking behind him, or for people to merge onto the freeway at 30mph. It’s almost like people out here depend on others, rather than themselves, to make sure they are taken care of on the roads. In fact, people drive so slow out here that it almost becomes dangerous. They are really just not good at driving. And I don’t mean “not good” as in an aggressive New Jersey type way. I mean “not good” as in lacking skill -- not being good at it. If people pulled the same stuff on the road, say in, Chicago, as they do in Seattle, they would be in for a very big surprise and never do it again. It seems people in Seattle just accept, if not enable, this type of driving to go on. I think you would be shocked to see the way people drive out here. It’s truly mind boggling indeed. Just Google “Seattle drivers” and read the funny stuff that pops up.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:43 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,283,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Besides Chicago, I've noticed that drivers in Illinois are among the slowest I've ever seen. THe speed limit on Illinois interstates in the country is 65 mph...some people will go faster than that....other people I've noticed just like to go 55 mph....I can't express my frustration on how many people have cut in front of me going 10 miles under the speed limit.
Where in Illinois? You just described all of Ohio and parts of Indiana, not Illinois.

Outside of Atlanta, Chicago, Detroit, and Los Angeles, you'll find people all over who believe the on-ramp is a great place to mosey on down ... all the time in the world ... OKAY MOVE IT CLEVELAND, WE'VE GOT A MICHIGAN DRIVER HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 /75mph and rising on the ramp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.