U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 11:26 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,439,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Besides Chicago, I've noticed that drivers in Illinois are among the slowest I've ever seen. THe speed limit on Illinois interstates in the country is 65 mph...some people will go faster than that....other people I've noticed just like to go 55 mph....I can't express my frustration on how many people have cut in front of me going 10 miles under the speed limit.

You couldnt be further from the truth if you tried. Not too long ago some guy got busted doing 150-some odd mph on Lake Shore Drive. Ive been doing 90 on the freeway and still have been passed, believe that!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 12:14 PM

7,826 posts, read 12,340,136 times
Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:31 PM

742 posts, read 2,661,228 times
I don't think I've ever experienced such frustratingly slow driving as I did going through rural Utah. I think most of the drivers I came across there actually measured their speed with a calendar.

Chap

Old 06-07-2007, 06:04 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,284,640 times
Why are you guys complaining about a bunch of farm people out in the West? The most annoying slow drivers are those in cities, where they should hit the accelerator, because they are in the way of the rest of the metropolis, and should get their butt to work or home, where they belong, as opposed to riding the left lane at 10 mph below the limit.

If people in Wyoming want to drive 15 mph or 115 mph, that's fine with me. Who cares?

This is why Ohio sucks. It's a large state (unlike, say, Connecticut) where you NEED to drive at a reasonable rate in order to get from A to B, and an urban state, yet the people drive like they are sitting in traffic on some east coast turnpike.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:07 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,910,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post

You couldnt be further from the truth if you tried. Not too long ago some guy got busted doing 150-some odd mph on Lake Shore Drive. Ive been doing 90 on the freeway and still have been passed, believe that!!!!!!!!!!!
Well that's Chicago for you Steve-O....I generally speak about Chicago and downstate Illinois in two different sentences hehehehehe. in the STL metro area in Illinois that's a different story altogether....Central and Southern Illinois tend to be slower-paced in driving...I dunno...maybe I dreamed they were going slow certainly felt like it....everytime I'm on the road, as Ricky Bobby says, "I wanna go fast" Although it's certainly not unheard of to see people do 80 mph in STL either. Drivers here are not stereotypically courteous either. On I-64 in St. Louis slow drivers "hug" the left lanes and drive me insane, and generally the only way to get around 'em from my experience is to shoot around them.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:11 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,910,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post

Notice I did say besides Chicago Steve-O

Old 06-08-2007, 02:26 PM

742 posts, read 2,661,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Why are you guys complaining about a bunch of farm people out in the West?
Who said anything about farm people?

Quote:
If people in Wyoming want to drive 15 mph or 115 mph, that's fine with me. Who cares?
I'm sure the fine folks in Wyoming/Utah/other Western states have an equal degree of sympathy for your daily commute in the Midwest. But seeing that most states out west are at least twice as large as OH and have a whole lotta nothin' between towns, traversing these areas at 45 mph can get old, real fast.

Quote:
This is why Ohio sucks. It's a large state (unlike, say, Connecticut)
Not so fast, my friend! Ohio is actually the 16th smallest state in the Union. This may or may not have any bearing on why Ohio sucks. That topic is still open for discussion.

Chap

Old 06-08-2007, 04:27 PM

134 posts, read 401,675 times
Quote:
Where in Illinois? You just described all of Ohio and parts of Indiana, not Illinois.

Outside of Atlanta, Chicago, Detroit, and Los Angeles, you'll find people all over who believe the on-ramp is a great place to mosey on down ... all the time in the world ... OKAY MOVE IT CLEVELAND, WE'VE GOT A MICHIGAN DRIVER HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 /75mph and rising on the ramp
I agree. When driving through Illinois, everyone was driving pretty fast. Several people (mostly with Wisconsin plates though) would flash their high beams at me WHILE I was passing a slower car to get back in the right lane. Guess I wasn't going fast enough.

Driving through Ohio was very annoying because people would just creep in all lanes, not budging at all. Also they are driving slow, but are not particularly good at it. But why do Ohio drivers drive so fast when they leave the state's borders? I always see someone with Ohio plates on I-77 through WV/VA/NC driving atleast 10 above the speed limit and usually in an aggressive manner.

I like to drive the speed limit or slightly above. So it's frustrating while driving on a road is everyone is driving below the speed limit. But it's equally bad when everyone is going 80+ because I don't feel comfortable driving that fast. But if I am driving in heavy, fast moving traffic, I will adjust my speed and go with the flow. On the other hand, if everyone is poking, I will poke too.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:49 PM

134 posts, read 401,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I'll agree on the NC one. Some of the people observe the laws,others just don't seem to care at all. It is the home of NASCAR afterall
I noticed that about North Carolina too. It's becoming like Florida where everyone is from another place, bringing their driving styles with them, so that is a common sight. In a place where the majority of the population is from the same region, driving habits are more uniform and predictable. When I drive on I-77 to I-79 in West Va to visit relatives in Pennsylvania, I see ALOT of NC plates with Steelers, Buckeye, and WVU stickers and plates heading toward that way. In southwestern PA, it seems like many people move to North Carolina.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:07 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,213,738 times
Quote:
WE'VE GOT A MICHIGAN DRIVER HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 /75mph and rising on the ramp
Do people in Michigan drive crazy? From what I've seen of them they seem to drive ok when they're here out east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.