U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 05:09 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,217,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming.
I would have thought that since it's so wide open out there that more people would just speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 11:56 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,286,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Do people in Michigan drive crazy? From what I've seen of them they seem to drive ok when they're here out east.
I've got my cool little theory on this too. Pull your Ford and GM workers too far away from HQ, and they get all nervous! "wow, real people with real jobs, not getting overpaid at corporations with ****ty products burning to the ground, and they have job stability!" ... so they drive real slow and all that, hoping that nobody notices them and blames them for Ford and GM.

I mean, there are so many Camrys outside of Michigan, it's pretty obvious that there are the 49 United States of Toyota or something.

... my parents drive slow outside of Michigan, because they don't trust roads outside of the Midwest, or cops in other states (especially Ohio). Roads in Georgia and Virginia go in all kinds of directions, not just east-west and north-south. Really freaky.

In Cleveland, I drive so fast (in relative terms) that I must be testing the sound barrier. In Chicago, I get shunted aside for going 20 over.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:02 AM

Yeah, so the previous poster claims that Wisconsin drivers get all pissy and flash you if you pass them and move back into their lane anything less than a mile ahead. Ohio drivers reach for the light switch if it looks like you are gonna pass them. It's the funniest thing ever. You don't even have to try to "cut off" an Ohio driver, because by their definition, any passing is 'disrespectful.'

My theory about this is that Ohio driver training is a joke, like sex education. (Canton, Ohio is the teenage pregnancy capital of the nation.)

Quote:
I would have thought that since it's so wide open out there that more people would just speed.
Yes, but they don't. Nearly all Michigan drivers clip along at a fast speed, although Detroit area people are aggressive whereas Grand Rapids drivers are just 'fast.' Chicago drivers are aggressive/nuts, but people in mid-state and southern Illinois don't resemble northern drivers much at all. (Illinois is split north/south socially and politically in other ways as well.) Mid-state Illinois drivers don't irritate me as much as Ohio or Iowa/Nebraska types.

Driving in western Pennsylvania is a real treat. The mountains are fun, and they scare Ohio drivers, so generally you don't see too many there, although there are families scattered on both sides of the stateline.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:42 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,915,658 times
Well having said all of this...people in Missouri drive perfectly. Have usually never been pissed off that often by other Missourian drivers. You want a perfect driving state? Missouri is it.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:56 AM

Location: Headed to the Shangri-La; The Orange County(Huntington Beach or Mission Viejo) this August!
78 posts, read 431,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Well having said all of this...people in Missouri drive perfectly. Have usually never been pissed off that often by other Missourian drivers. You want a perfect driving state? Missouri is it.
I AGREE READ MY POST ON PAGE 1.

Old 06-09-2007, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Yes but Missouri is boring isn't it?

Old 06-09-2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I've found Missourians in Illinois who only like to cruise in the left lane. Otherwise, no complaints. The problems in Missouri may likely be from other states.

I have had no problems driving in the St Louis area. It's not Cleveland.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Yes but Missouri is boring isn't it?
Ummm...no?

Old 06-09-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
I've found Missourians in Illinois who only like to cruise in the left lane. Otherwise, no complaints. The problems in Missouri may likely be from other states.

I have had no problems driving in the St Louis area. It's not Cleveland.
Hehehe I would be one of those Missourians. However I treat the left lane like it's the left lane and don't stall in it. Most Missourians I've seen go fast in the left lane and slower in the right lane. Just the way it should be

Old 06-09-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Ummm...no?
No offense but MO was never on my list of must see states. Now I'd go just to check out the drivers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.