U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 09:41 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,902,786 times

Advertisements

Just forget it, StuckPA. You don't like Missouri. Frankly, I'm not too fond of Pennsylvania. Now enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 10:49 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,207,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
If you just called me a southerner, last time I checked where I'm at the Mason-Dixon is 36 degrees latitude and the Ohio River. Most Missourians these days, FYI, especially St. Louisans, are Midwesterners, not Southerners (well, most of us are anyway, people from Cape Girardeau on down might have something else to say to that). This is 2007, not pre-1861. No wonder most of us are not nice
Ehh,no I wasn't calling you a southerner. What I was saying was that I prefer the south above all other areas.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Just forget it, StuckPA. You don't like Missouri. Frankly, I'm not too fond of Pennsylvania. Now enough.
Sheesh! I did not say that I did not like Missouri,I've never been there. And you can dislike Pennsylvania if you want,I don't like it either.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:53 AM

570 posts, read 1,910,650 times
Though they aren't slow paced, I think CT has some really bad drivers.

On a crowded 3 lane highway, they'll pitter patter in the left lane going 50mph chatting away on their cell phone with no regards to anyone else. They'll switch lanes without looking or signaling because they think everyone must yield to them.

If you're in the right lane and signal to the left lane, whoever is there will jam the gas and speed up so you can't get in.

They ride your a$$ like no other state I've been to (well, maybe except NY and NJ).

Everyone up here is in a hurry. I don't know it it's because of the NYC influence and the need for speed or that everyone is so selfish in thinking their time is more valuable than everyone else's.

(By the way - this Missouri/Pennsylvania fight is kinda like democrats and republicans accusing each other of the same exact thing!)

Old 06-10-2007, 12:48 PM

4,455 posts, read 7,520,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
People in Pennsylvania, as a general rule of thumb, do not like to utilize their directional signals when turning. I don't know if it stems from our state's overall lack of education, elderly population, rudeness, or what, but I'm tiring of having to blare the horn incessantly at all of these goobers in their Buicks who come to a sudden stop in front of me to turn left
Hmm. I'm inclined to believe this is quite a generalization. Granted, the area of PA in which I live has much more of the stereotypical East Coast culture than the rest of the state, but I know that I personally use my turn signal religiously. I'd say the issue around here is not necessarily a LACK of using turn signals -- but not using them soon enough, which essentially cuts someone off last minute just to get an extra car-length ahead.

Whatever the case may be, I think these topics about driving habits are a bit silly. All types of drivers -- be they slow, fast, or just plain inconsiderate -- do not discriminate about where they live.

Last edited by Duderino; 06-10-2007 at 12:58 PM..

Old 06-10-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Hmm. I'm inclined to believe this is quite a generalization. Granted, the area of PA in which I live has much more of the stereotypical East Coast culture than the rest of the state, but I know that I personally use my turn signal religiously. I'd say the issue around here is not necessarily a LACK of using turn signals -- but not using them soon enough, which essentially cuts someone off last minute just to get an extra car-length ahead.
Whatever the case may be, I think these topics about driving habits are a bit silly. All types of drivers -- be they slow, fast, or just plain inconsiderate -- do not discriminate about where they live.
I appreciate your general diplomacy,but the point of this thread was not to be petty but to collect general input about the MAJORITY of drivers in various states.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:43 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,281,789 times
Quote:
Question....I just feel the need to mention I-70 in Breezewood, Pennsylvania for some reason. What are drivers like there? are there any plans to ever just make I-70 a complete freeway through there...because I-70 currently has a gap at Breezewood and I've heard it turns to a regular road in Breezewood with traffic lights and everything...
Old plan of action: Pave Breezewood over; replace with a decent travel plaza.

New theory: Breezewood congestion keeps Eastern drivers from getting fancy ideas about taking short trips to the Midwest, so it's all good.

Old 06-10-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Old plan of action: Pave Breezewood over; replace with a decent travel plaza.

New theory: Breezewood congestion keeps Eastern drivers from getting fancy ideas about taking short trips to the Midwest, so it's all good.
Works for me

Old 06-10-2007, 06:06 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,281,789 times
Breezewood isn't really that bad if traffic is light (non holiday periods).
Considering that you usually need to stop to enter/exit a toll road, it's fairly benign ... unless it's a holiday weekend!

Old 06-10-2007, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Breezewood isn't really that bad if traffic is light (non holiday periods).
Considering that you usually need to stop to enter/exit a toll road, it's fairly benign ... unless it's a holiday weekend!
I've heard most people just avoid the toll road and take I-68 in Maryland assuming there are traveling on the path of I-70 because it is toll-free and the speed limits are higher than on the PA turnpike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.