U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-11-2007, 02:58 AM
 
6,351 posts, read 19,358,707 times
Reputation: 9919

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I've heard most people just avoid the toll road and take I-68 in Maryland assuming there are traveling on the path of I-70 because it is toll-free and the speed limits are higher than on the PA turnpike
Yeah, but if you're pulling a trailer loaded with 45,000 pounds of cargo, I-68 SUX in a major way...(LOTS of hills)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-11-2007, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Midwest
1,903 posts, read 7,284,640 times
Reputation: 464
It's my birthday, and I'll ignore Ohio drivers completely if I want to!
For the entire day!
(Ignore the dangling participle there.)

When in Iowa, do you really see that many Idiots Out Wandering Around? I need to know, as Iowa is my next weekend trip!
The adage does seem fitting, as there are Iowa minivans and Impalas lost in mid-state Illinois all the time, doing about, oh, the speed limit [65 mph here].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2007, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Midwest
1,903 posts, read 7,284,640 times
Reputation: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I've heard most people just avoid the toll road and take I-68 in Maryland assuming there are traveling on the path of I-70 because it is toll-free and the speed limits are higher than on the PA turnpike
So if it's more scenic and has less traffic .............. what's the catch?
I didn't even know it existed until my last trip out east.
Have I bought into the whole "toll roads are great" show?
Should I contact Michael Moore and we can make a documentary ... maybe I'll quit my day job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2007, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
1,712 posts, read 3,881,036 times
Reputation: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionablecowboy View Post
Maine (except for Portland) and Missouri (except for around St Louis and KC) have very well-mannered drivers. Generally speaking though, the farther south you go, the slower they are in America.. but not in all cases.

Here's my most and least favorites:

Maine-(far from much civilization)
Missouri-(close to the best driving experience I've ever had)
Denver-(not too bad, but interstate 25 is a raceway and redlights that never change green)
San Diego-(really friendly drivers which tends to dissapear once you get on a freeway)
Phoenix-(well-planned, but you still got jerks who want to cut you off on the I-10)
West Virginia-(If I have to drive on that interstate once more--I swear I'll cut my wrists!)
New Hampshire-(bit hurried compare to Maine counterparts, but rarely tailgate or drive dumb like Massachusetts)
Las Vegas-(jerks galore and new housing daily)
L.A.-(traffic 24/7, so people don't plan on getting somewhere in 5 minutes anymore)
Providence(what a little zoo full of graffiti and vandalism. There's nothing of importance there-so why the rush? -Well, they want to leave and quickly get to places like NYC and Boston.)
Portland, OR(not too bad, very good plannning)
Chicago(Boston of the MidWest, manners don't exist..)
Florida -(horrible drivers, i hear it all the time many w/o insurance)
San Francisco-(not the traffic persay-but driving-wise their heads are up their butts!)
NYC-(the manhattan grid aka the zoo york-so horrible horrible driving,,)
(YES, I driven in all of these place.. I am a traveling nut)


Avoid anywhere from Massachusetts, CT, RI, downstate NY, or NJ)
you left out Washington, DC -- fast drivers constantly weaving around slow drivers and cutting everyone else off. You should try the capitol beltway (I-495) sometime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2007, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Philaburbia
32,396 posts, read 59,890,532 times
Reputation: 54044
A lot of people in Pennsylvania still think the speed limit on the freeways is 55 mph. They must have been so traumatized by those big ol' signs at the state lines way back when, the ones with the silhouette of the state trooper holding a radar gun proclaiming "The speed limit in Pennsylvania is STILL 55 mph."

After driving around the old Ohio stomping grounds all last week, I remembered what I don't like about Ohio drivers: They tend to stack up in the left lane, even though the truck they want to pass is a) traveling only 5 mph slower than they are; and 2) is still two miles ahead on the road. Argh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Do people in Michigan drive crazy?
They do indeed. I've got a bit of a leadfoot myself, yet I can count on one hand the times I've passed a Michigan driver. They must be challenged by the Ontario motorists, who drive even faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Driving in western Pennsylvania is a real treat. The mountains are fun, and they scare Ohio drivers
I was never so happy to get out of Pennsylvania and onto the Ohio Turnpike! Flat and straight. I-80 in Pennsylvania makes me feel like me and my car are going to spiral right into the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2007, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
1,712 posts, read 3,881,036 times
Reputation: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
After driving around the old Ohio stomping grounds all last week, I remembered what I don't like about Ohio drivers: They tend to stack up in the left lane, even though the truck they want to pass is a) traveling only 5 mph slower than they are; and 2) is still two miles ahead on the road. Argh.
Ugh! I know exactly what you're talking about. I spent 20 min behind a truck on I-90 in OHIO because I couldn't pry my way into the left lane because it was so stacked!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2007, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Midwest
1,903 posts, read 7,284,640 times
Reputation: 464
It's true, Ontario motorists on the 401 have no patience... many of them are in a hurry to get back to Toronto and out of Detroit/Windsor.

As Ohiogirl remarked, Pennsylvania has a lot of OLD people drivers with OLD mentalities. It's very quaint. However, because so much of Pennsylvania is mountainous, it's not 'as' irritating as Ohio roads, where the idiots stack up miles ahead of any traffic in the opposite lane, making passing impossible, despite overall flat terrain and low overall traffic density. Buckeyes love to cluster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
Ugh! I know exactly what you're talking about. I spent 20 min behind a truck on I-90 in OHIO because I couldn't pry my way into the left lane because it was so stacked!
Shhhh! When you say it too loudly, it sounds like a four-letter word!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2007, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Philaburbia
32,396 posts, read 59,890,532 times
Reputation: 54044
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Buckeyes love to cluster.
Well, there is strength in numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2007, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Midwest
1,903 posts, read 7,284,640 times
Reputation: 464
I think I need to make it clear that I don't discriminate against an entire group of people merely by the way they drive.
Nevermind, of course, in Michigan that people discriminate you by what you drive (not that this never happens in
California, Illinois, Virginia, etc)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Well, there is strength in numbers.
Riddle of the day:
If you had 11 million lemmings, how would you govern them?

Answer:
Put the Tafts in office!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2007, 06:04 PM
 
Location: TwilightZone
5,296 posts, read 5,213,738 times
Reputation: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
A lot of people in Pennsylvania still think the speed limit on the freeways is 55 mph. They must have been so traumatized by those big ol' signs at the state lines way back when, the ones with the silhouette of the state trooper holding a radar gun proclaiming "The speed limit in Pennsylvania is STILL 55 mph."
I dunno,from what I've seen nothing seems to deter everyone from going however fast their vehicle can go on I-80 from eastern PA(!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top