Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 04:50 PM

609 posts, read 1,260,128 times

Advertisements

im in california, and im looking to relocate...not right this second, but within the next year or two. i want out of this state, but i dont wanna live in the snow. arizona wont work for me either, just for the record...but what are some suggestions of cities and states to look into that have mild winters? any suggestions that i can research would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 05:02 PM

726 posts, read 2,147,831 times
South Florida, South Gulf Coast States, South Texas, Southern Nevada, Southern New Mexico.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:10 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Maybe the Carolinas, Georgia and other parts of the Southeast.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:22 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Maybe the Carolinas, Georgia and other parts of the Southeast.
These areas get snow. It depends on what the OP considers to be "real" snow.

This year Atlanta has had two 3-4" snowfalls. Parts of the Carolinas have had up to 12" total or more I think in the mountain areas this year. So you need to migrate further South (Florida) to avoid most of it.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
These areas get snow. It depends on what the OP considers to be "real" snow.

This year Atlanta has had two 3-4" snowfalls. Parts of the Carolinas have had up to 12" total or more I think in the mountain areas this year. So you need to migrate further South (Florida) to avoid most of it.
i think i could handle a few 3-4" falls lol. i just dont want any blizzard like craziness...because honestly, ive been here all my life, and im a bit terrified of having to drive in it.

how does south carolina do with snow...if its just in higher elevations, it shouldnt be a big deal, thats how california is. im gonna check out those other suggestions though....thanks guys.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:48 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,388,557 times
Texas has mild winters but snow did occur this winter. Certainly Florida is safe from snow.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:36 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times
Hawaii doesn't get snow, and has really nice weather year-round.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:25 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklez_304 View Post
how does south carolina do with snow...if its just in higher elevations, it shouldnt be a big deal, thats how california is. im gonna check out those other suggestions though....thanks guys.
Here's something you need to keep in mind...

If you live in a "high snow" area now, chances are that many if not most of the people there have an idea of how to drive in it, unless it's a megacity that has frequent transplants moving there. However, if you come to cities like Atlanta or Charlotte for example, you have a constant flow of newcomers from all over the world moving into the area. So when that "once every 4 year" snow does hit, you'll be on the roads surrounded by drivers who are from NYC, L.A., Mexico, Africa, Japan, Europe, Central America.... literally from everywhere, with ALL types of driving experiences, all trying to figure out how to drive in the stuff. So it's a lot safer to just stay home in these areas when it snows, as opposed to "back home". But yeah, you'll have to deal with it a lot less than other areas, fortunately.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Here's something you need to keep in mind...

If you live in a "high snow" area now, chances are that many if not most of the people there have an idea of how to drive in it, unless it's a megacity that has frequent transplants moving there. However, if you come to cities like Atlanta or Charlotte for example, you have a constant flow of newcomers from all over the world moving into the area. So when that "once every 4 year" snow does hit, you'll be on the roads surrounded by drivers who are from NYC, L.A., Mexico, Africa, Japan, Europe, Central America.... literally from everywhere, with ALL types of driving experiences, all trying to figure out how to drive in the stuff. So it's a lot safer to just stay home in these areas when it snows, as opposed to "back home". But yeah, you'll have to deal with it a lot less than other areas, fortunately.

thank you

thank you to everyone that responded. i appreciate it

Old 03-16-2010, 01:18 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,019,987 times
One thing I want to point out as the "payoff" for not having snow or being in Cali... The South and Southeast can get EXTREMELY humid - not something Cali sees much of, and a lot of folks don't get used to overnight. If these areas are a serious consideration, you might want to visit during July/August time frame so you know what you're getting into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.