Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2010, 10:56 AM

3 posts, read 7,913 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are ready for a change of scenery. I'm 27, he's 36. We currently live in Orlando and are ready to get out of Florida and to a more liberal area (more than likely, out west). He has lived in Portland, OR and liked it for the most part - but not sure he wants to move back.

Here is what we are looking for:
- University nearby (I will be returning to school after gaining residency status)
- not too conservative (we are not pro-lifers but we own guns)
- Tax Friendly (both personal and corporate)
- Bike / pedestrian friendly
- artistic community
- community feel
- farmer's markets
- music scene
- a lot of community activities
- bars like cheers - everybody knows your name
- not into the cold weather / snow so much

We own our own business and run it from home, so commute isn't an issue, however, we would like it to be tax friendly for obvious reasons (I have heard that "tax friendly" means Cali is out of the question). While affordability is always a question, we aren't on a super tight budget.

I would appreciate some insight. We would love to move sooner than later, although I'm sure we need to allow time to visit the city first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 12:32 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
If you want to live "out west" it really gets no better than Seattle.
Visiting Seattle, the Official Site of the City of Seattle

Austin TX may also be a good option.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:11 PM

3 posts, read 7,913 times
I should clarify that by "out west" I just mean west of the Mississippi. I'm from Kentucky, he was born in West Virginia & grew up in Carolinas. We've done the Southeast thing and prefer to stay away from the Northeast. The west is the only place left since we're not ready to make the move abroad. We've looked at Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Washington, Oregon - just haven't found anything that is quite fitting the bill for us.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:14 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenndaisy82 View Post
I should clarify that by "out west" I just mean west of the Mississippi. I'm from Kentucky, he was born in West Virginia & grew up in Carolinas. We've done the Southeast thing and prefer to stay away from the Northeast. The west is the only place left since we're not ready to make the move abroad. We've looked at Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Washington, Oregon - just haven't found anything that is quite fitting the bill for us.
Man, I would have said Ithaca would have been perfect, minus the taxes and snow.
Visitor Info - Visit Ithaca
Ithaca
Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY
Cornell University
SUNY Cortland - Home Page (Is only 20 minutes away for Ithaca)
IthacaMusic.com - Plug in and Go
Castaways Music Schedule
The State Theatre of Ithaca, NY
Ithaca Farmers Market
Finger Lakes Cycling Club
Welcome to the Bike Rack of Collegetown!
Cayuga Ski and Cyclery Ithaca, NY Giant Scott Felt
Home > Downtown Ithaca Alliance
Where to Do What - locally
Home * Community Arts Partnership
Community School of Music and Arts in Ithaca, New York
Greater Ithaca Art Trail
Herbert F. Johnson Museum of Art
http://soag.org/
Welcome to the Ithaca Ballet
Oasis - danceclub - bar - restaurant (formerly Ithaca Common Ground)
Ithaca Night Life ( NightLife ), NY

Keep in mind that even if taxes are higher, home prices in the area might be lower than many states with lower taxes.

RealtyUSA | New York Real Estate |

ithaca apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Apartments for Rent in Ithaca & Vicinity | Apartment in Ithaca & Vicinity*New York

Old 03-22-2010, 11:08 AM

726 posts, read 2,147,974 times
Boulder, Colorado fits the bill.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:27 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Maybe Fort Collins, CO, Lawrence KS, Manhattan KS, Lincoln NE, Iowa City IA, Columbia MO and Tucson AZ(around Univ. of AZ).

Old 03-24-2010, 12:22 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
You could look into St. Louis. It is fairly liberal. There are Soulard Farmer's Market, Tower Grover Farmer's Market, Downtown Farmer's Market, Old North Farmer's Market. There may be a few more smaller ones. St. Louis built more bike paths around the city a few years ago. There are Saint Louis University and Washington University St. Louis. SLU is in the city. Washington Univ. is on the western border of the city I believe. There's also University of Missouri St. Louis north of the city. And I think there are a few community colleges dotted around the Metro. The MetroLink trains and MetroBus are okay, I think. However, you probably will need a car. You will get quite a bit of snow, though.

Not living in St. Louis, I don't know as much about community feel, activities, bars, music, or the arts. But if you asked on the St. Louis board I'm sure they could tell you all about it. And each neighborhood is unique as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.