U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 10:33 AM

2 posts, read 6,569 times

Advertisements

We are having to relocate from MI becuase of the job market and would love to find a college / university town that was alot like East Lansing (MSU). Progressive, diverse and has alot to offer educationally. Any help would be greatly appreciated we're starting to feel like we'll never find the right place for our family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 11:32 AM

7,823 posts, read 12,330,814 times
Charlottesville, Virginia
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Madison, Wisconsin
Urbana-Champaign, Illinois
State College, Pennsylvania
Morgantown, West Virginia

Berkeley, California and Austin, Texas if you can take the extreme politcs

Old 06-05-2007, 11:59 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,282,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
Charlottesville, Virginia
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Madison, Wisconsin
Urbana-Champaign, Illinois
State College, Pennsylvania
Morgantown, West Virginia

Berkeley, California and Austin, Texas if you can take the extreme politcs
I would add Ann Arbor to the list, but subtract East Lansing.
East Lansing feels more like the university district around Columbus, Ohio than it does the other university towns, one reason that I moved from Ann Arbor to Champaign-Urbana, rather than East Lansing.

Chapel Hill, Charlottesville, and State College are great to visit, and I would not mind tenure track there. As a grad student, I think I would go crazy. I'm used to Ann Arbor and its proximity to Detroit; these are all small cities relatively far from larger ones. Raleigh-Durham does not substitute so well for Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh, etc

Madison is really, really nice, much nicer than Champaign-Urbana or East Lansing. It rivals Ann Arbor. Visit!
You can combine the trip with a visit to Milwaukee as well.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:34 PM

6 posts, read 18,480 times
Red face Why Madison over Ann Arbor?

I've been to both Madison and Ann Arbor and prefer AA. Wondering if I missed something in Madison. Also would like to know a little more about Milwaukee.
Thanks

Old 06-05-2007, 06:46 PM

508 posts, read 1,317,041 times
Davis, California --- home of UC-Davis and one I don't see mentioned too often. Also close to some good sized urban job markets.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:48 PM

19 posts, read 109,926 times
Milwaukee, believe it or not, has a burgeoning arts scene that's pretty incredible--and cost of living is relatively cheap, outside of their ritzier suburbs.

Madison is nice; university, state capital, something of an arts scene, literary, lakes are nice, Olbrich Gardens, the Arboretum, State St from capitol to UW campus. Cost of living is kind of high, and...well, hell. I lived there for two years and would move back, but it's the kind of place that grows on you, maybe. If you like hippie co-op grocery stores (Willy St), non-starbucks coffee (mother fools, michaelangelos are two of my favorites), winter, lake-related recreation, gay and lesbian and feminist issues, farmers market (it's a tradition), manageable traffic and downtown core, and pretty much as progressive as politics get in the midwest (not sure how it would compare to AA that way) then you might like Madison. If I were moving back, I'd probably look at the north side, which is a lot less "madisony" and a lot more like the rest of wisconsin. madison has horribly ugly sprawl, especially on the east side, so maybe if you stayed out there you couldn't fully appreciate what makes Madison cool.
It's not a big city by any means (though per wikipedia the metro area "had a 2006 estimated census population of 543,022" which is a little surprising), and things get kind of dead and insular in the winter. Luckily Milwaukee and Chicago are so close. I hear the economy is picking up, though you have the usual overeducated people working service jobs phenomenon.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:49 PM

832 posts, read 3,557,208 times
Davis is great. The worlds best farmers market. Close to SF and Sac. However, $$$

Old 06-05-2007, 07:36 PM

508 posts, read 1,317,041 times
True BB. Love the bike scene there too. OP didn't mention cost so I figured it was wide open.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:54 PM

286 posts, read 1,479,230 times
Default My sister suggests Austin, Tx

Apparently, it is among the greatest places for young adults for social scene. It is well known for having the greatest population of waitresses with PhDs because they don't want to leave because it is such a great area.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:51 AM

2 posts, read 6,569 times
Thank you for your help I can't wait to check into those towns!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or