Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 08:58 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Wawa is a Philly company. All Wawa's are company-owned - there are no individually owned franchises.

There are none in Southern CT or northern NJ or anywhere in NY - but there used to be some up in Northern NJ and southern CT in the 80's. They're all long gone now.

They come as far north as Monmouth county, NJ, so technically they are in the NYC metro area. My brother lives in Northern Monmouth county, so I get to visit Wawa quite often. I was just visiting him a couple days ago and brought back a couple hoagies, they are incredibly good! Plus, being a Philly company, you can count on finding Tastycakes in all Wawas.

I've been to Wawa's as far south as south of Richmond, VA.
yeah, the one in southern CT is a Krauser's now. man, what a dump!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 09:14 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Quote:
I don't need a stranger's weird, sudden, crossing-boundaries-type-intimacy to make me feel good about any part of my life. Here in NJ, people are plenty friendly enough. If someone told me about his or her Harry Potter fantasies, I'd tell that person to grow up - Harry Potter is pop culture for children, it is not good literature and certainly not for adults. If someone told me about his Tennessee Vols obsession, I'd inform him or her that I went to Rutgers which is a school with more history and tradition and better respect academically, and more than just a football team (even though we are the birthplace of College Football and have a good team).

But I suppose the type of person who needs a dealer to install some overpriced windshield wipers would also probably find fulfillment in life from "friendly strangers" (or, as I would call them in NJ, "creepy, over-friendly strangers".

And my experience in Tennessee is that there are many, many rough-looking characters who will NOT hold the door for people, much less women, much to the chagrin of my female co-workers there. What I also remember about Tennessee: any good-looking girls over 21 were married and/or had kids, and most women over 40 were divorced. Also an unusually high number of 40-something and 50-something grandparents.

You also have to remember the town they live in TN is probably small. On Long Island, how many customers do you think mechanics have in one day??? The popullation is very high. There's no way they can follow through with customers because of the amount they have. In small town TN, a mechanic may only get a few customers a day, so it is easier to follow up with them.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:16 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
I don't need a stranger's weird, sudden, crossing-boundaries-type-intimacy to make me feel good about any part of my life. Here in NJ, people are plenty friendly enough. If someone told me about his or her Harry Potter fantasies, I'd tell that person to grow up - Harry Potter is pop culture for children, it is not good literature and certainly not for adults. If someone told me about his Tennessee Vols obsession, I'd inform him or her that I went to Rutgers which is a school with more history and tradition and better respect academically, and more than just a football team (even though we are the birthplace of College Football and have a good team).

But I suppose the type of person who needs a dealer to install some overpriced windshield wipers would also probably find fulfillment in life from "friendly strangers" (or, as I would call them in NJ, "creepy, over-friendly strangers".

And my experience in Tennessee is that there are many, many rough-looking characters who will NOT hold the door for people, much less women, much to the chagrin of my female co-workers there. What I also remember about Tennessee: any good-looking girls over 21 were married and/or had kids, and most women over 40 were divorced. Also an unusually high number of 40-something and 50-something grandparents.

Why all the hostility? These are different people's perspective on culture shock. Some are interesting and even funny but the shock is that we all have a little different perspective, none are right or wrong

Old 06-18-2010, 09:50 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
Quote:
The Tennessee car dealer where I take my Subaru in for regular service (I bought it in MD) put new windshield wipers on my car, at my request, when I first arrived in Tennessee and then called me that same week, after it rained, and asked me how they worked out in the rain. Could you even conceive of that happening on Long Island?
wow, i can't see that happening anywhere in the northeast.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:55 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Why all the hostility? These are different people's perspective on culture shock. Some are interesting and even funny but the shock is that we all have a little different perspective, none are right or wrong
I didn't intend to be hostile, but I suppose it could have been interpreted that way. My point is that all too often I hear people compare "the people" from one place to another and I just think it's a lot of hooey. People are the same everywhere as far as being "nice" or being "jerks". The myth of Southerners being "friendlier" is just that - a myth. They don't walk around with pecan pie and pitchers of sweet tea, laying out a red carpet for newcomers. I've spent considerable time in the South and lived and worked amongst Southerners, and the bottom line is that they're no different than anyone else once you get past the superficial differences like the accent and their subculture. People may think of them as being "friendlier" but they're not.

And there are plenty of people in the NYC metro area - and anywhere else - who will strike up a conversation with you, if that's what you want. It just won't be most people. That has nothing to do with "friendliness", it has to do with different people's desires to talk or not talk to strangers. To say that people in Tennessee are "friendlier" because a cashier will have a conversation with you is really just absurd; I don't mind if a cashier is working hard and doesn't have time for a conversation, and I honestly don't want a superficial conversation with a cashier, anyway. If I had a conversation with every cashier it would take me forever to get things done.

There are plenty of good reasons for someone to prefer to live in Tennessee over the NYC metro area - much lower costs, more rural areas and countryside, better barbecue, etc. - but to say that the people are somehow better is ignorant as well as unfairly offensive to people elsewhere. Nobody should be made out to be a "less friendly" person for doing his or her job without engaging in superficial, unrelated conversations with people just to make sure to satisfy those people who want that.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:58 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
wow, i can't see that happening anywhere in the northeast.
Actually, my dealer calls me over any little thing I go in for. It is just an indication of a particular dealership's policies, not the people in that area. A month ago, I went to the dealer because I had a bulb out and couldn't change it. They did it for free for me (since I had the bulb) and I got coffee and a donut while they did it, and they called me a week later to make sure everything was fine, as they always do (and I let it go to voicemail and I didn't call them back, as I never do).

Old 06-18-2010, 10:10 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Wawa is a Philly company. All Wawa's are company-owned - there are no individually owned franchises.

There are none in Southern CT or northern NJ or anywhere in NY - but there used to be some up in Northern NJ and southern CT in the 80's. They're all long gone now.

They come as far north as Monmouth county, NJ, so technically they are in the NYC metro area. My brother lives in Northern Monmouth county, so I get to visit Wawa quite often. I was just visiting him a couple days ago and brought back a couple hoagies, they are incredibly good! Plus, being a Philly company, you can count on finding Tastycakes in all Wawas.

A Wawa is opening in Parsippany soon.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:40 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,885,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Stereotype much, LOL?

The North is also known for Wal-Marts (right on your beloved LI, in case you forgot), people marry young, Catholic churches everywhere and correct me if I'm wrong, but endless gridlock FROM CARS all day long.

Your little agenda is so full of holes it's laughable.
There are not Catholic Churches like there are protestant churches in the South. You will see two, sometimes more, protestant churches of the same denomination next to each other. You will NOT see that with Catholic Churches (unless they built a new church and decided to leave the old one standing) I remember being amazed at how many baptist churches I saw on one street while driving back from Virginia.

The only stereotype you got right was about the gridlock. Walmart is not that prevalent in the Northeast, partly due to the fact that it has much more competition. I think we now have two in my area, but they might be closing the one (at least that's what it sounded like when they built the new one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
i grew up on Wawa in southern CT in the 80's and thought it was national too lol. also had no idea it originated and was pretty much exclusive to the mid-atlantic
Ya, it's a shame they left, but they're moving north again. They're building one in Parisipanny now.

Quote:

Minor correction, Wawa is from Wawa, P.A. near Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
There is actually now a Wawa in NC right before you head onto the outer banks - keeps us folks happy on that long drive to OBX
MOFG that is AMAZING!!! I wouldn't not be half surprised if was brought about by displaced residents from Souther/Central NJ

Old 06-20-2010, 07:43 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,885,718 times
Quote:
I didn't intend to be hostile, but I suppose it could have been interpreted that way. My point is that all too often I hear people compare "the people" from one place to another and I just think it's a lot of hooey. People are the same everywhere as far as being "nice" or being "jerks". The myth of Southerners being "friendlier" is just that - a myth. They don't walk around with pecan pie and pitchers of sweet tea, laying out a red carpet for newcomers. I've spent considerable time in the South and lived and worked amongst Southerners, and the bottom line is that they're no different than anyone else once you get past the superficial differences like the accent and their subculture. People may think of them as being "friendlier" but they're not.

And there are plenty of people in the NYC metro area - and anywhere else - who will strike up a conversation with you, if that's what you want. It just won't be most people. That has nothing to do with "friendliness", it has to do with different people's desires to talk or not talk to strangers. To say that people in Tennessee are "friendlier" because a cashier will have a conversation with you is really just absurd; I don't mind if a cashier is working hard and doesn't have time for a conversation, and I honestly don't want a superficial conversation with a cashier, anyway. If I had a conversation with every cashier it would take me forever to get things done.

There are plenty of good reasons for someone to prefer to live in Tennessee over the NYC metro area - much lower costs, more rural areas and countryside, better barbecue, etc. - but to say that the people are somehow better is ignorant as well as unfairly offensive to people elsewhere. Nobody should be made out to be a "less friendly" person for doing his or her job without engaging in superficial, unrelated conversations with people just to make sure to satisfy those people who want that.

Very good post.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:50 PM

254 posts, read 414,963 times
moving from Sarasota, FL, to Albuquerque, NM - EVERYTHING!
- no water here...no beaches, no lakes, nothing!
- so barren and dry looking...where are the trees and grass?
- mosquitoes THREE times the size of the ones I'm used to
- alcoholism and readily available liquor...wow, they sell booze at WalMart?!
- completely different road systems and drivers to get used to
- and SNOW....what is snow? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.