Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 09:36 AM

Location: Olde English District, SC (look it up on Wikipedia)
243 posts, read 366,696 times

Advertisements

I agree on the Research Triangle area of NC and Tidewater (Norfolk) area of Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 12:34 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
I would suggest Jackson, MS. I am an gay atheist and while I was there, I had a great time and the people were wicked friendly. Honestly, I wouldn't care what other people think about your personal beliefs and personal life.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:22 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamosakid View Post
As a libertarian and atheist dating a black guy originally from Africa, I'm the furthest thing from a social conservative. That said, with fond memories of traveling city to city all across the U.S. during my early teens, I love the south (except Atlanta). "Have legs. Will travel for work" will be my post-graduation motto as I graduate from college in 2012; I'm willing to go ANYWHERE in the continental U.S. south of St. Louis so long as I'm confident I'd be happy living there for at least 10 years and so long as I'd be going to a city (or metro area thereof) with a population >300k.

Any recommendations on southern cities I should research outside of NOLA and Florida? Or should I just follow the stereotypes, ignore my memories as a teen, and tell myself that looking to the south for tolerance is like looking to Detroit for a job?
I have no idea what you are looking for!!!

Why do you hate Atlanta?? I found Atlanta very cosmopolitan. Do you have any idea about Atlanta as having one of the larger and faster growing populations of white collared successful african americans??

All cities in the south that have a metro population of over 1 million, you can find your niche. Southern metro areas have transplants from everywhere due to their growth.

I don't get it, if you "love the south", but hate Atlanta, but are looking for someplace liberal, what are you looking for??

And BTW, FYI: Detroit, although still has a LONG way to go, has been recovering better than many places around the country over the past year. Detroit and Michigan gets hit harder and earlier by national recessions, but now as in the past makes early recoveries.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:02 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill

Old 09-26-2011, 09:50 PM

81 posts, read 152,848 times
Nashville TN

Big arts communit. High immigrant population (lots of Kurds and Laotians for some reason). Pretty politically liberal. Very tolerant of gays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.