U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 04:33 PM

421 posts, read 603,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I'm looking to move out of zombie Michigan in near future. Want to move to a sunny state where there is low crime rate, and I can rent an apartment and get a job asap, as in carpenter/laborer, manufacturing, anything. (Maybe go to college at nights.)
In the Midwest (and especially in Michigan), those trades are controlled by the unions. This makes the costs high for the builders and the buyers, but for the folks working in those industry it keeps the wages high. You can make a decent living in those trades.

In the warm parts of the country, especially the parts that are flooded with illegals, almost all those kinds of blue collar jobs are done by migrant laborers from Mexico who stand around at street corners and get picked up by contractors in trucks. The unions have no power. Good luck competing with them for chump wages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 06:07 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,282,184 times
That's right, go sell out to the sunbelt and enjoy your illegal migrants and bible-thumping Falwells. Cleveland (that is, the Rust Belt generally) won't miss you ... until EVERYONE wakes up and realizes what has happened.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:29 PM

1,418 posts, read 6,383,648 times
Generally speaking, NC, TX, and AZ seem to be exceptionally strong in economic growth.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:49 PM

5 posts, read 11,672 times
heh, mexican illegals... u think its different in Michigan?

Funny story actually

I went to apply for a PART-TIME Landscape person at a Popular Golf Course (They had an AD in the paper) I called them, left a message, and next day they told me to come fill out an application in the "Blue building"...

Anyway, I leave to go there and get lost in the Golf Course, can't find that building, so I get out of my car and ask a "worker" where it is, well well, his a Mexican and can't speak English (no coprehendo?) so I 'm wondering WTF? I look around and all I see are MexCAN'ts!

Anyway, I finally found the BLUE building, went inside, the MANAGER told me to sit and fill out an app, while sitting and starring at the app I heard in the other room where the Manager was his answering machine playing message after msg of hundreds of people (with experience/college degrees) wanting this job, etc etc...

(I actually brought my resume with me....)Anyway, I told the manager why doesn't he hire American who live here! Who have accomplished schools, speak English and make them all write and bring Resumes, and bs like that, While at Hiring some illegal mexicans with no-english. He just stood still.

I took my resume and app with me, giving him a finger.

I didn't get the job and I think none of the other guys also.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:09 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,407,118 times
Bout time someone stood up! I dont know about flippin the bird, but what you did was right and I applaud you for speaking your mind.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,802 times
i am preparing to move back home to the usa from south korea.

i have heard online that hawaii is the place to go for jobs, but i am in i.t. and i.t. jobs arent growing there.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:26 PM

676 posts, read 2,542,790 times
I don't know how i know this but I am pretty sure that Wyoming is in dire need of employees for everything. Just search for the state workforce website and it is full of fairly decent jobs the only down side is.... well its wyoming...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or