Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which 2 most adhere to: Progressive, liberal, artsy, educated, cafes, bookstores, healthy, trees, ka
Burlington, VT 2 66.67%
Asheville, NC 1 33.33%
Boulder, CO 1 33.33%
Portland, OR 2 66.67%
Eugene, OR 2 66.67%
Chico, CA 1 33.33%
Corvallis, OR 0 0%
Bellingham, WA 0 0%
Beavertown, OR 0 0%
Ithaca, NY 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 12:03 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,846,135 times

Advertisements

I've been to many places, and Ithaca was one of the most liberal I've been to. I was living in Cortland and commuting to Ithaca 3 times a week for the first part of my student teaching, so I encountered many different people while working in the school. The finger lakes and the hills are pretty too. I recommend it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 05:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,274 times
I've lived in San Francisco, San Diego, Santa Fe, Denver, Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, Las Vegas, Hawaii, an island in the Pacific Northwest, and am from the St Louis area. Each has something unique about it that was an interesting experience for my artistic soul. As an artist, I think that looking at one's values and preferences are important for choosing a place to live.

Myself, I'm attracted to places like Burlington, VT, Madison, WI, Saugituck, MI or Traverse City ... places where "cultural pleasures" are in plenty. The arts are highly valued and so is the creative expression. They are liberal and more progressive. People enjoy learning, thinking, expanding, being healthy, expressing themselves in positive ways, etc. Water is near and boating is enjoyed along with many other outdoor pleasures ...

I moved back to the St. Louis area to care for my aging Mother. When the time does come that she leaves us (hoping no time soon), I look forward to settling into one of these delicious areas.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:47 AM

963 posts, read 2,400,056 times
Durham, Chapel Hill, Carrboro and Cary in NC.

They all are adjoining, all a bit left of center, but all in different ways.

Cary is very suburban, mostly upscale, sprawly, family-oriented. Big international communities though, and certain things - like the arthouse multiplex cinema, or the Little India area that has evolved - are very cool.

Chapel Hill is awesome in most ways. It's the most expensive town in the state, it's very academic and pretty seriously smug. Very LGBT friendly, and extremely well-kept however.

Carrboro & Durham are more artist meccas, funky old neighborhoods, freaky in places, more character to them.

Collectively, the arts community is very eclectic, and multi-ethnic. The entire metro is sprawly, and not very centered, with different cities as focuses for different things, but there's a LOT going on.

As for your day job - there are 4 research universities in the Triangle, plus several smaller schools = more graduates than there are easy-to-step-into jobs. So some DIY spirit will help you out a lot, and networking like hell, as there are A LOT of highly educated, very under-employed people here, and while living costs are generally low (it is the South), they are very notably higher than anywhere else in NC.

As for Asheville - just as left-leaning, but it's an earthier town than the (very cerebral) Triangle area. DO NOT move there without a job solidly lined up however.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:22 AM

304 posts, read 743,042 times
There is NO question that Portland OR is what you describe. I have lived in NYC, miami, LA, and some others and nothing comes close to the how progressive, liberal, charming, green, and just cutting edge this beautiful city is. the best part is that it is a city with everything you'd expect and want in a city yet surrounded by some of the most beautiful nature I have ever seen. Mountains at every view, a literaly forest in the middle of the city. It is arsty, intellectual, political, fun, funky. Has it ALL. Only downside is that it really does rain and really is grey 95% of the time. If you can get over that, it has a little of everything. I myself couldnt handle all the grey. Im still searching for my liberal paradise.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:00 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,790,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeyourthoughts View Post
There is NO question that Portland OR is what you describe. I have lived in NYC, miami, LA, and some others and nothing comes close to the how progressive, liberal, charming, green, and just cutting edge this beautiful city is. the best part is that it is a city with everything you'd expect and want in a city yet surrounded by some of the most beautiful nature I have ever seen. Mountains at every view, a literaly forest in the middle of the city. It is arsty, intellectual, political, fun, funky. Has it ALL. Only downside is that it really does rain and really is grey 95% of the time. If you can get over that, it has a little of everything. I myself couldnt handle all the grey. Im still searching for my liberal paradise.
Cutting edge? Oh my goodness. I wish it were as great as you make it out to be.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:40 PM

Location: Philadelphia, PA (Wanting to move) --Burlington, VT, Asheville, NC, Boulder, CO?
129 posts, read 402,621 times
Hi, I am writing because I am wondering if you can tell me a little about the culture of:

Boston, MA
Berkeley/Bay Area, CA
New York, NY
Portland, OR

and how they're similar different and possibly how they are similar and different to Philadelphia, PA?

Basically, I am in Philly right now (I've been here for a week) and am looking to permanently relocate to a place that shares my values an interests. --Values are #1 with interests coming in 2nd.

I do not feel like Philly has what I am looking for. Granted, I have only been here 1 week, but I have not had a good experience so far. My favorite place I have ever visited (I have never visited the cities above) is Burlington, VT, so maybe a similar feel but larger city (one of the cities above).

My values:

-Meaningful, passionate work
-Healthy living (Sleep, Exercise, Nutrition)
-Spiritual Growth (Alanon)
-Aesthetics
-Leisure (Gym, Kayaking, Camping, Writing, Concerts, etc).
-Learning & Educational Opportunities
-Self Expression

Old 04-12-2010, 11:24 PM

Location: Philadelphia, PA (Wanting to move) --Burlington, VT, Asheville, NC, Boulder, CO?
129 posts, read 402,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I think you can safely put San Francisco up there as most expensive apartment rent. Wages are fairly high, but the unemployment rate in CA is also higher than in many other parts of the country. Public transportation is pretty expensive, but overall pretty decent. It is obviously very GLBT-friendly.

Northampton: don't know about cost of living (spent the summer near there, but didn't have to worry about rent), but it's known for its high number of lesbians in particular. Very GLBT-friendly. I assume it would be on the lower end of the list for rent, at least when stacked up against cities like those in the Bay Area and Cambridge/Boston. Public transportation is not anything like what you'd find in a bigger city, but it's also fairly small and compact and you could get around a lot on foot or by bike.

Philadelphia has a huge range of rents. As far as big cities go, though, rents are relatively affordable. Certainly far more so than SF or Boston. Northampton is a great place for a smaller town/city feel; it's a college town and has a lot going on, and isn't that far from Boston when you need a bigger city fix. Plus, it's a beautiful area of the country. I used to live near Philly and really liked it; it's historic, beautiful, has a very walkable center, and when compared against other big cities the rents are really good. There are some really bad areas, too, though, but that goes for any city.

I'm not a huge Portland fan (although I've enjoyed my time visiting) because I find it a little too smug for my tastes. It's a good option if you want a city but not a huge city, though. I also don't know if I could handle the weather.

My personal top choices would be the Bay Area (SF/Berkeley), Boston/Cambridge, or Philadelphia, but that's because I like bigger cities. It's also ignoring things like cost of living. If I was ready for a real change or was planning on working a minimum wage job (which maybe you are, since you ask about minimum wage?) then I think Northampton would be very high on the list; it's really a very nice big town, and having so many colleges right there really keeps things interesting. It's been out awhile now, but Tracy Kidder's book Home Town is about Northampton.
Yeah, what’s most important to me is to find work that is rewarding (that I can be passionate about), that will make use of my special skills (strengths), and pays well (competitive salary), in a community that is progressive, (#1 supportive of the arts, eco-friendly, active, political, conscious) thus supporting my personal values and interests, enhancing my well-being and personal fulfillment, in a place that is affordable, ie: shared living. Within that space, I will get adequate rest/sleep, eat healthy, exercise, go to alanon 2-3x a week (for spiritual growth & development), go to the gym 2-3x a week, and enjoy myself outside of work by engaging in personal hobbies and interests, ie: Kayaking, Camping, Hiking, Rafting, Rock Climbing, Concerts.

Town/City must support my values and interests:

-Career Satisfaction
-Healthy living (Sleep, Exercise, Nutrition)
-Spiritual Growth (Alanon)
-Leisure (Gym, Kayaking, Camping, Writing, Concerts, etc)
-Learning & Educational Opportunities
-Aesthetics

-Self Expression

Old 04-12-2010, 11:34 PM

5,004 posts, read 12,317,165 times
Do my eyes deceive me? No mention of Seattle?

Seattle is one of the most progressive cities in the USA. It has a thriving arts scene and music scene. It's expensive to live in though because it's been "discovered" by SoCalifornians, New Yorkers, and some people from Microsoft with lots of money. Sure it's rainy / cloudy for 6 months out of the year. But the other 6 (especially in summer) are glorious.

So does Portland, and is cheaper to live in Portland, so it's worth considering. I would consider Portland better than Seattle in a way ... it's like Seattle before it was "discovered".

Old 04-13-2010, 12:49 AM

10,629 posts, read 26,632,749 times
How about adding Minneapolis to the list? I think it's cheaper than Seattle (not sure how it compares, cost-wise, to Portland) but it definitely fits your wish list.

I'd cross the Bay Area off completely due to cost of living. Salaries are higher, but in my experience, anyway, the nonprofit jobs don't pay that much more than they do in more affordable cities. Actually, I'm getting the sense that you're probably not really after a big city, so might as well cross Boston and New York off the list, too; you'll be paying a premium to there, and while I think they are all wonderful places, you could end up paying a fortune to live there and then spend most of your time trying to get away from them to enjoy your hobbies. I think of the four you listed above I'd definitely concentrate on Portland. (although do give both Seattle and Minneapolis some consideration, too)

Old 04-13-2010, 02:07 AM

181 posts, read 322,921 times
Alright, this is my perspective (from Portland, OR):

Portland is a very gloomy place most of the year (about 6-9 months), and each day the rain trickles down like someone in the sky is taking a shower with no water pressure. However, many people really enjoy this weather. This weather is conducive to creativity, because it gives you that time where you stay inside, read a book, write a book, do some art, program, or whatever your hobby may be. If you don't want to stay inside, head out to one of the myriads of bookstores (with free wifi), and spend some time with a cup of coffee and a good book. Of course, the rain does not keep Portlanders inside their homes. It's not unusual to see the streets of Sellwood lined with people antique shopping in the middle of January (the weather is rather mild).

Portland is incredibly walkable! It is divided into many distinct neighborhoods (e.g., Hawthorne, Belmont, Alberta, Mississippi, NW 23rd) and each neighborhood has it's own vibe / stores. For example, NW 23rd and Pearl are Portland's upscale neighborhoods. Pearl is full of luxury boutiques, and a plethora of incredible art galleries. Art in the Pearl is a really great festival where hundreds of artists come to showcase their work, and of course there is live music. Also, on the first Thursday of each month you can go down to the Pearl and do the Art Walk, where everyone gets together to view art and enjoy wines made in our Willamette Valley. Would you like art that is not so upscale, a little more obscure? Well, the last Thursday of each month Alberta Arts neighborhood throws a big party showcasing different artists, much of it funkier than that in the Pearl. Alberta is one of Portland's more diverse neighborhoods, and it's really nice. Still, each neighborhood has it's own amenities, and that is why so many people in Portland bike or walk. If you live in SE, you do not have to come into downtown to get great ethnic food, or go see live music. All this stuff is all over the city. One of my favorite things to do on a rainy day is head to one of the theaters around here where you can watch an older movie (e.g., Monty Python), and have a beer and pizza while doing so.

Portland is lined with trees, more trees, vines growing on trees, roses, flowers, gardens, and vegetation of all kinds. All that rain pays off big, because Portland happens to be an extremely beautiful city. In fact, a short drive out of the city (uhh, 3 minutes from downtown), you'll find the neighborhood known as Portland Heights (in the West Hills). Take a drive through this neighborhood for some inspiration. You get an amazing view of the city, but you're in the middle of huge old trees and amazing old Victorian homes. A lot of the homes in Portland are older, Victorian style homes.

Portland people are rather laid back. One of the first things you may notice when driving into Portland is that we drive slow. Our speed limits on the interstate are 55, and most people actually do the speed limit. Yeah, most of us are in no real hurry. It's a city with a smaller town type feel. Though, the downtown area is very urban and there's always a lot of people out there. You'll notice when you are downtown that you will see all types of people. Maybe you will catch the guy who wears a Mickey Mouse outfit and plays the trumpet? Or, you'll see street kids sitting at the same bus stop as a person wearing a suit and tie (or business dress). Everyone in Portland really blend together. The values of most people in the city are pretty liberal. Very environmentally aware. In fact, the problem I have in my apartment is that the recycle bins are always full. I believe they're starting a compost program here as well. It's all about buying local here as well. A lot of restaurants here use local ingredients, and it's a really big deal to people that they do. You'll see a lot of people in the city actually have chickens, and they barter their eggs with others for services (like bike repair).

The music scene here is really great too. You can catch the bigger acts like Camera Obscura, Horse Feathers, Devendra Banhart, and so on basically any night of the week; however, throughout the city every night of the week there is an innumerable number of local acts playing in small-medium sized pubs, bars, clubs and so on. A lot of these local acts are really great too. I am not a big fan of bands like Alice in Chains, but a few days back we went with some friends to go watch an Alice in Chains cover band and it was actually really fun, and the band was amazing. So yeah, even the little shows with 20 people are often really good, and later in time you may just see this band making it big (like The Thermals, or Modest Mouse).

Just up the I-5 from us is Seattle, another really great city, a lot like Portland actually, but a little more of the hustle and bustle. Still, it's nice to get out of Portland every once in a while, so it's nice to be near Seattle, Vancouver, BC, the Columbia River Gorge, and the Oregon Coast. Or, if you're into the snow you can head out to Mt. Hood for a winter day playing in the snow.

Honestly, Portland has it's downsides (job situation is terrible, gloom for some people, meth is pretty bad issue here, for some the homeless are an issue), but I have lived in a few places (Fresno, Phoenix, Atlanta, San Francisco), and from my experience Portland is by far the city I feel the most alive in every single day. Come out for a visit, you may fall in love, or you may not, but it's worth a trip anyway.

Any questions, feel free to ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.