Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which 2 most adhere to: Progressive, liberal, artsy, educated, cafes, bookstores, healthy, trees, ka
Burlington, VT 2 66.67%
Asheville, NC 1 33.33%
Boulder, CO 1 33.33%
Portland, OR 2 66.67%
Eugene, OR 2 66.67%
Chico, CA 1 33.33%
Corvallis, OR 0 0%
Bellingham, WA 0 0%
Beavertown, OR 0 0%
Ithaca, NY 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 08:38 AM

Location: Philadelphia, PA (Wanting to move) --Burlington, VT, Asheville, NC, Boulder, CO?
129 posts, read 404,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Produce is fairly affordable in San Francisco; practically nothing else is. Public transportation costs keep going up; specifics will depend on where you live and what you take, if you have a monthly pass, etc. I think the monthly Muni pass for within city of SF is $70, and a single ride is $2. Not sure about organic eggs; maybe about $4/dozen, depending on where you're shopping. I've lived in SF and outside of Philly, and SF is FAR, FAR more expensive. Expect major sticker shock. If you live in the city parking is often tight, so you'll save both money and hassle if you get rid of the car. Not sure about gym, but the YMCAs aren't too expensive. You could try the SF forum to get some more specific answers on current prices. If you find Philadelphia overwhelming you will probably find San Francisco to be even more so. On the plus side, the abundance of national park land makes it easier to get "away" from the city than in Philadelphia. I think much will depend on where specifically you'll be living. Many neighborhoods in SF lack much in the way of trees and greenery on the streets, so be aware of that if that's important to you. (there are, of course, plenty of trees in places like the Presidio or Golden Gate Park, just not necessarily on the streets of the neighborhoods adjacent to them.)
So the public transportation is about $70/mo? How much is it here in Philly? I think it's between $70-$100.00. As far as overwhelming... why would SF be more overwhelming than million-size population Philly?!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 09:34 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,729,919 times
It will run you more than $70 a month if you use BART or leave city limits. I'm not sure what a pass costs in Philadelphia these days.

I suppose "overwhelming" depends on personal definition as much as anything; to me, I guess, Philadelphia feels pretty relaxed. It's greener, has a very walkable human scale in much of the center city, and in the the center city neighborhoods, at least, it's easier to sit down on a bench or in a park without being hit up constantly by often aggressive panhandlers. But comparisons all depend on neighborhood. I love both cities (probably about equally), but if you're not really a "city" kind of person you could easily find yourself unhappy in SF.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:29 PM

Location: Philadelphia, PA (Wanting to move) --Burlington, VT, Asheville, NC, Boulder, CO?
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
It will run you more than $70 a month if you use BART or leave city limits. I'm not sure what a pass costs in Philadelphia these days.

I suppose "overwhelming" depends on personal definition as much as anything; to me, I guess, Philadelphia feels pretty relaxed. It's greener, has a very walkable human scale in much of the center city, and in the the center city neighborhoods, at least, it's easier to sit down on a bench or in a park without being hit up constantly by often aggressive panhandlers. But comparisons all depend on neighborhood. I love both cities (probably about equally), but if you're not really a "city" kind of person you could easily find yourself unhappy in SF.
Greener, huh? Hmm, that's a big factor... and I'm quite surprised. Philly is actually greener than SF?

And no, I will not be using the BART if it means going to the east or west bay. West bay is Oakland, right? (Sorry, I'm not familiar)

I will just being staying in SF.

I'm wondering if you can get, or know of any sites online that have reliable organic grocery prices? I am wanting to do a basic comparison of the basic staples between Philly, Burlington, VT, and SF.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:11 PM

596 posts, read 1,706,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
You don't find that in these liberal bastions because some people are willing to pay a LOT of money to be insulated from folks who don't think like themselves.
It is so worth it though..

Old 05-03-2010, 12:21 AM

5 posts, read 6,484 times
Default Portland: Nothing else compares.

If green and lush are important, San Francisco should be out of the running. Too many areas in SF have a "burned out" feel and there is too much migraine-inducing sun beating down on one's head.

As others have listed the virtues of Portland, I won't repeat them again. However, if you click with Portland, nothing else will do. If you visit Portland for a couple of weeks, and you explore the area (the Columbia River Gorge, the Coast, the variety of interesting neighborhoods, the views from Washington Park, the largest and most historic roller skating rink on the West Coast, the beautifully restored architecture and commercial signage throughout the area, Forest Park, Mt. Hood, Powell's Bookstore, the Train Station, the environmentally aware and activist locals, etc., etc.) you will never want to leave.

Yes, there are the homeless, but is that surprising? If I were homeless, I would want to live in a beautiful area with a moderate climate too! In most cases, the homeless are harmless.

Yes, the job situation is tight, but the job situation and economy is tight in most cities right now. If you are good at what you do and are tenacious in your job search, you will find a good job in Portland.

As long as you relish rain in its many forms (and the resulting lushness), no other city on your list can compare to Portland, Oregon!

Seattle, is also very nice, as is Vancouver BC, however in these two cities your day-to-day life will be filled with more frustration and wasted hours in travel time and general congestion, than in Portland. With few exceptions, Portland is very drivable, bikeable, and walkable. And by living in Portland, certainly the natural beauty of Puget Sound, Mt. Ranier, and Stanley Park, and the fun of places like the San Juan Islands, Pike Place Market, Victoria BC, are well within weekend excursions.

Good luck!

Old 05-05-2010, 06:13 AM

62 posts, read 395,200 times
If you have to worry about how much organic food costs before you even get to a place, you probably won't have enough money to live comfortably in San Francisco. Sorry.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:43 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,104,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photog88 View Post
If green and lush are important, San Francisco should be out of the running. Too many areas in SF have a "burned out" feel and there is too much migraine-inducing sun beating down on one's head.

As others have listed the virtues of Portland, I won't repeat them again. However, if you click with Portland, nothing else will do. If you visit Portland for a couple of weeks, and you explore the area (the Columbia River Gorge, the Coast, the variety of interesting neighborhoods, the views from Washington Park, the largest and most historic roller skating rink on the West Coast, the beautifully restored architecture and commercial signage throughout the area, Forest Park, Mt. Hood, Powell's Bookstore, the Train Station, the environmentally aware and activist locals, etc., etc.) you will never want to leave.

Yes, there are the homeless, but is that surprising? If I were homeless, I would want to live in a beautiful area with a moderate climate too! In most cases, the homeless are harmless.

Yes, the job situation is tight, but the job situation and economy is tight in most cities right now. If you are good at what you do and are tenacious in your job search, you will find a good job in Portland.

As long as you relish rain in its many forms (and the resulting lushness), no other city on your list can compare to Portland, Oregon!

Seattle, is also very nice, as is Vancouver BC, however in these two cities your day-to-day life will be filled with more frustration and wasted hours in travel time and general congestion, than in Portland. With few exceptions, Portland is very drivable, bikeable, and walkable. And by living in Portland, certainly the natural beauty of Puget Sound, Mt. Ranier, and Stanley Park, and the fun of places like the San Juan Islands, Pike Place Market, Victoria BC, are well within weekend excursions.

Good luck!
I lol'd.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:31 PM

Lightbulb Back... at the Crossroads, help!

I am back

I have reached a critical juncture in my life where I must decide where it is I am going to go from here (I am currently in Philadelphia in a city that I dislike and a stagnant situation). I had this vivid dream a year ago with a clearly painted sign that read: "You are at the crossroads." I have reached that point.

I am a bit nervous about this new change in my life, ie: trying to decide whereI am going to move, but I am trying to get clarity. I want to find a home that will suit my needs. I have considered the following places:

Asheville, NC
Boulder, CO
Burlington, VT
Eugene, OR
Portland, OR

The only place I have visited is Burlington, VT, and I actually lived there for 4 years and absolutely loved it. I am looking to expand and grow now...

What matters to me is:

-Progressive
-Health conscious (a wealth of bicyclists, runners, walkers)
-Liberal (good community or social programs and a sense of shared future or shared community)
-Scenic (Available hiking, camping, kayaking, and state parks within city limits)
-A good number of trees and parks and trails within city limits
-Large organic health food selection
-Cultured (Theater, libraries, operas, public liberal radio)
-Low crime rate… safe!
-Not hotter than 90 degrees (I would prefer temperatures between 65-85 on average)
-Nice people, more friendly. Not fake.
-Mostly Democratic representation (few or no Republicans into the office)
-A good transportation system + pedestrian friendly
-Low pollution (good air and water quality standards)

That's basically all of the cities above! At any rate, I cannot make up my mind about where I should be/move. I am wondering if anyone else has ever been at the "crossroads" and identified a major life change and had to meet it face on? How did you overcome your obstacle?

I am looking for people who are familiar with these places to offer me support during this scary time... I am not 100% comfortable with change and just need guidance right now.

Thanks.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:53 PM

9,526 posts, read 16,510,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
You would probably also like Minneapolis... HUGE arts scene, and one of the healthiest cities in America.

Minneapolis is a wonderful city. Its a shame there is not a Minneapolis South. In fact why can't the warmer climate cities duplicate some of infrastructure and liveability of cities like MSP?

Old 07-30-2010, 09:14 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
rich white areas quarantined from the real u.s., very progressive, enjoy your organic hemp granola, but please give back your tax break. Those places are incredibly "fake" just in a different way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.