Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 12:00 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,354,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Can you image a state [like in the South] still arresting & putting people in prison for simple possession of a small amount of weed when it is legal in California? Those states will become all the more the laughingstock of America.
Was this really necessary?

I usually enjoy your posts, but this kind of very divisive, overly broad remark is pretty ignorant, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 12:27 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,726,508 times
Who in their right mind would move to a place just because weed is legal? Every place Ive ever lived in the US, there was weed available without haveing to look hard. Most PD's dont seem to care that much about minor amounts. I know one of my sales people smokes every day on her front porch in Northeast Dallas. She has been approached by police and theyve just told her to put it out without confiscating it. Back in LA, it was no different. Those who wanted to smoke did and those who didnt, didnt.

California is the best state in the Union (except economically and fiscally), but moving somewhere its legal is stupid when you can do it anywhere with little worry.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:47 PM

698 posts, read 1,508,906 times
If it passes I doubt tons of stoner types will move to California. None of them will be able to afford to move to Cali.

A lot of people are overlooking the fact that this will bring in a lot more tourism money. People from all over the world go to Amsterdam to browse around the coffee shops. It is one of the most visited cities in Europe and I met people in the coffee shops that spent their whole vacations spending hundreds of dollars just on marijuana to try all the different types. Hell, I know people that travel over to San Francisco just to party and smoke weed. Tourism brings in a lot of new cash that is not produced in the state. Plus, if other states were to legalize, California could sell its marijuana products to people in other states.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:03 PM

924 posts, read 1,643,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
I'm packin up my stuff ASAP, and moving to California. Goodbye philly, hello california "green" rush. Alot of other people where I live will probably try the same thing. Whats your take on it.
I'm moving there either way, legalized marijuana would just be a plus.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:11 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,230 times
For all the poor stoners around America who want to move to California due to legalized marijuana, please don't. There are already plenty of 18-22 year olds from all over the US who 'want to make it big in Hollywood', and end up being homeless all over LA, or those who want to live a rehash of the 60s and end up around SF or Berkeley bothering students like myself with 'SPARE CHANGE!'. Enough is enough!

Anyways, due to the 'full faith and credit clause' (every state has to recognize the validity of every other state's laws) of the Constitution, legalization in California WITHOUT any federal interference will eventually mean that every single other state will have to legalize it, with the Federal Government being last to legalize it on the Federal level.

However, if you guys have ever read the case 'Gonzalez v. Raich' (2005), the Supreme Court ruled that drug policy is in the province of the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT because of the Commerce Clause.
FindLaw | Cases and Codes

I doubt that in 5 years, the Supreme Court has changed their mind very much.

However, I do support legalization because of the economic benefits it would provide my beleaguered state. There aren't any real studies or any real compelling arguments, in my opinion, on why its still illegal to begin with. Those who won't smoke still won't smoke, and those who do won't be hassled by the cops as much anymore. The sad thing is once weed becomes a mainstream thing, the weed culture will probably die. Remember when prohibition ended, how many speakeasy's stayed alive? The same thing will happen. However, I don't like the weed culture that much to begin with, so I'm all for it.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:23 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,381,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Was this really necessary?

I usually enjoy your posts, but this kind of very divisive, overly broad remark is pretty ignorant, imo.
Sorry john, didn't mean to offend you. But the fact that some states [mostly in the South] still prosecute people for smoking marijuana suggests they still believe it is a dangerous drug or they just want to arrest people for ridiculous reasons.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:23 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,544,700 times
Quote:
The fact that the state will be able to make money off of marijuana will likely be the deciding factor. Once marijuana becomes totally legal [like it is in Canada] the rest of the U.S. will eventually follow California's lead like they do on everything else.
Hm no we don't. A variety of things California does stay unique to California or are not replicated in much of the nation. California's Proposition 13 on property tax seems to have been replicated in just a few states. The citizen initiative system itself started in South Dakota, not California, but is not done in all states anyway.

State I&R

Contract cities seem unique to California from what I can tell. I'm sure there are many examples of things California did that most of the nation did not.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:26 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,192,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Who in their right mind would move to a place just because weed is legal? Every place Ive ever lived in the US, there was weed available without haveing to look hard. Most PD's dont seem to care that much about minor amounts. I know one of my sales people smokes every day on her front porch in Northeast Dallas. She has been approached by police and theyve just told her to put it out without confiscating it. Back in LA, it was no different. Those who wanted to smoke did and those who didnt, didnt.

California is the best state in the Union (except economically and fiscally), but moving somewhere its legal is stupid when you can do it anywhere with little worry.
I've always wanted to open up my own marijuana store on Rodeo Drive.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:28 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,192,720 times
Quote:
Sorry john, didn't mean to offend you. But the fact that some states [mostly in the South] still prosecute people for smoking marijuana suggests they still believe it is a dangerous drug or they just want to arrest people for ridiculous reasons.
Actually it depends because that isn't always the situation. If you have lots of it you; than you'll get arrested. However, most of the time if it's not that much; they'll just confiscate it, check you, and leave you alone.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:35 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,495,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Triple! Maybe if this was 40 years ago in the 1960s! It is pretty expensive to move to many parts of California now.

However, I think you are partially right and you may see a small influx. California already has a liberatarian reputation, this can only add to it.

Lol, at the same time I would not mind my state sending a few of our "potheads" to California. We have quite a surplus and we would like to share. But that would take some intelligence in Albany so don't hold your breath.
california has a liberal/social welfare/high tax reputation, not libertarian...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.