Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2010, 06:00 PM

10 posts, read 19,792 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone

I've just taken a job in Portland, OR and will be moving over in a few months from New Zealand. We're sorting out visas at the moment but I'm getting worried about all the other issues with migrating to the US, in particular credit, living costs, finding accommodation, transportation, culture shock (lol)... Plus there's probably a whole raft of things that I haven't even thought about yet.

I've been over a few times for conferences and things but haven't been to the NW, so am not sure what it's like although everyone tells me that Portland is a great place to live.

Any help/advice/suggestions for someone making the big leap would be muchly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 07:58 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,730,225 times
Speaking in terms of geography and climate, the Northwest is probably more like NZ than any other part of the U.S. so at least you have that going for you. Portland's a decent town; clean and relatively low crime rate.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:18 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,865,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Speaking in terms of geography and climate, the Northwest is probably more like NZ than any other part of the U.S. so at least you have that going for you. Portland's a decent town; clean and relatively low crime rate.
Yeah, I really have to agree. The Pacific NW climate wise and culturally is probably the closest to NZ you'd find in America. Portland's a really fun city.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:04 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,790,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinia View Post
Hi everyone

I've just taken a job in Portland, OR and will be moving over in a few months from New Zealand. We're sorting out visas at the moment but I'm getting worried about all the other issues with migrating to the US, in particular credit, living costs, finding accommodation, transportation, culture shock (lol)... Plus there's probably a whole raft of things that I haven't even thought about yet.

I've been over a few times for conferences and things but haven't been to the NW, so am not sure what it's like although everyone tells me that Portland is a great place to live.

Any help/advice/suggestions for someone making the big leap would be muchly appreciated!!
Questions about transportation, cost of living, accommodation, and even, to a degree, culture shock might be better answered in the Portland forum.

Honestly, I don't even know where to start! I can't imagine how you must feel!

Old 03-28-2010, 03:18 AM

10 posts, read 19,792 times
Thanks everyone, it's nice to know Portland won't be (relatively) too much of a change, as I am quite attached to NZ .

I will head over to the Portland forum and ask more specific questions there, Though any general advice about living in/moving to the US would be great too.

At the moment the whole move is still all a bit surreal.. I only got the official offer at the beginning of the month and will be moving by July at the latest and end of May at the earliest. I'm sure it'll start to sink in and get a whole lot more frightening very soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.