U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 03:04 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,208,735 times

Advertisements

Btw,why we're on the subject...I notice women around the area I'm in all seem to walk around in these really loud,corporate marching,horse-hoof,tap-dance sounding heels.You can hear them coming down the street or down the halls from really far away. Is this some sort of domination thing and also do they have this in places other than the northeast or are they just loud and obnoxious here with everything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 04:30 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,768,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Btw,why we're on the subject...I notice women around the area I'm in all seem to walk around in these really loud,corporate marching,horse-hoof,tap-dance sounding heels.You can hear them coming down the street or down the halls from really far away. Is this some sort of domination thing and also do they have this in places other than the northeast or are they just loud and obnoxious here with everything?
They're called pumps, and they've been extremely in style for the past few years.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:45 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,867,251 times
High heeled shoes make noise when you walk, there isn't much you can do about that.

I wear them sometimes and so do a lot of women where I work, the noise they sometimes make is occasionally a source of a joke.

...Domination thing? That is just silly.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:02 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,208,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
High heeled shoes make noise when you walk, there isn't much you can do about that.

I wear them sometimes and so do a lot of women where I work, the noise they sometimes make is occasionally a source of a joke.

...Domination thing? That is just silly.

Is it really? When I look at the corporate types going by it seems that the women are either trying to conform or compete with the men and their 'marching boot' type shoes. The things make more noise than they look like they should,sometimes I call them 'loaded'. Maybe they're hollow wooded heels or something. And they're not necessarily always high heels,I look at them as they walk by and they vary in shape.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:20 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,867,251 times
I don't know what sort of women you work with, but I work with women who dress professionally, and none of us have any sort of 'male envy' in which we are trying to be men in order to achieve our personal and/or professional goals.

In fact, most professional women would be insulted by that assertion.

... I don't like men's shoes as a general rule, and my dress tends more toward the 'funky professional' (but then again, I do work more in the arts), but I have a few female friends in the financial industry, and believe me, they aren't thinking with men's shoes when they go shoe shopping.

However, it is true that some shoes are louder than others. I have a couple of pairs of shoes that are much louder than my other shoes, I have no idea why either.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:23 PM

8,273 posts, read 26,333,774 times
I live in San Diego and "dressed up" means a clean T-Shirt and your dressy flip-flops. Corporate is a joke, the men dress like slobs with their pants sagging off their butts and the women can't tell the difference between what to wear to the clubs and what to wear to work. Grown men dress like teenagers with baseball caps and sneakers, it is hilarious.

It drives me nuts because I am always overdressed, I have nice suits and italian silk ties, and all I want to do is wear them, but I would be a freak around here. I go to NYC once or twice a year and get to wear my clothes there.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:24 PM

8,273 posts, read 26,333,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
However, it is true that some shoes are louder than others. I have a couple of pairs of shoes that are much louder than my other shoes, I have no idea why either.
Expensive, Italian or English leather-soled shoes with wood heels don't have rubber soles so they make noise. Loud shoes is a sign of class ;-)

Old 12-11-2007, 08:17 AM

455 posts, read 1,879,901 times
Quote:
Our mother taught us that a lady should know how to walk without "clomping" in her shoes. It sometimes can't be avoided (hard, hollow floors, etc.) but well-mannered ladies will slow down and walk lightly.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:21 AM

3,073 posts, read 10,768,555 times
Quote:
Is it really? When I look at the corporate types going by it seems that the women are either trying to conform or compete with the men and their 'marching boot' type shoes. The things make more noise than they look like they should,sometimes I call them 'loaded'. Maybe they're hollow wooded heels or something. And they're not necessarily always high heels,I look at them as they walk by and they vary in shape.
I just wear them because they're cute, and in fact, I can't think of any woman who doesn't wear them nowadays. Even middle school girls are wearing them. That's just how commonplace high heels have become.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:34 AM

16,092 posts, read 36,576,539 times
Dallas, home of Neiman-Marcus. Mr. Stanley Marcus was a neighbor of mine here in the Lakewood section.

I have been dressed better than most in many situations in New York, London and even the Vienna Opera House!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or