U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 12:14 PM

3,596 posts, read 7,709,405 times

Advertisements

I think Chicago is exceptionally well-dressed. I have a lot of local fashion designers I patronize who design with very little competition-- as a result, their styles are more unique, well-thought out and classy. That, and the city as a whole very, very conservative in its business sense. I think the combination of conservative business + 9months of winter really makes for a well-dressed populace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 02:35 PM

333 posts, read 351,489 times
I haven't gotten a chance to read the full thread, but I do have to say that when I moved to CT, I found people here to dress very well and clean. The North Face, Tommy Hilfiger, Eddie Bauer, Banana Republic and Gap are the favorites in western CT.

I've also noticed that the students here aren't into the shoddy and materialistic Abercrombie or Hollister. People dress very conservatively here.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:42 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,212,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Expensive, Italian or English leather-soled shoes with wood heels don't have rubber soles so they make noise. Loud shoes is a sign of class ;-)
Or pseudo-class
I don't know why one has to be annoying to have class. To me those shoes seem like the wearers are looking to draw extra attention to themselves...'look who's coming'...
Just seems kinda pretentious,of course I live in a pretty pretentious region to begin with so perhaps it may differ in places like Chicago where the one poster is.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:23 PM

103 posts, read 270,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
HEY!!! Midwesterners do not look more frumpy!
They do and I'm from the Midwest. In most blue collar cities you don't see a very upscale casual look. Its more flats and jeans. Its not real dressy. More like what you can get away with wearing casual on a job interview.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:59 PM

1,819 posts, read 3,439,088 times
D.C is one of the best dressed towns...im not talking about runway fashions and business suits like LA and NYC im talkin about the average joe you see walking down the street..9/10 they may be poor but will do whatever to be "fresh"

Old 10-06-2009, 08:32 AM

3,077 posts, read 5,453,777 times
It would be a bummer to live in a town where it is the cultural norm to be "well-dressed" or have "expensive taste."

Why? Because I can spend my money on things that are actually useful instead.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:30 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,633,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Expensive, Italian or English leather-soled shoes with wood heels don't have rubber soles so they make noise. Loud shoes is a sign of class ;-)
A persons actions are a sign of class. Dress has nothing to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or