Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 07:54 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,426,428 times

Advertisements

In your experience, is there any truth in the stereotype that people are more formal in their style in the South? To what extent has it remained more old-fashioned and less casual? Do you think people are more dressed up at the office, church or going out of the house in general? Have you noticed differences within the South?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 08:18 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
I've never noticed the south being more formal in anything (not that it's a bad thing), but I know historically it had that sterotype as the "old south".

Old 10-05-2009, 08:26 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
In your experience, is there any truth in the stereotype that people are more formal in their style in the South? To what extent has it remained more old-fashioned and less casual? Do you think people are more dressed up at the office, church or going out of the house in general? Have you noticed differences within the South?
Wading through all the stereotypes, I'd say the only one that holds true is that the south is more old-fashioned in terms of style, across all age groups.

If you want to peg us as "more formal" or "more casual", you really have to accept that it is situational. There are certain nuances that make it hard to stereotype one way or another.

For example, if someone wears a coat & tie to a football game, but is inclined to wear fishing clothes or full camo in public, then is this a proclivity towards formal or casual?

Last edited by le roi; 10-05-2009 at 08:38 AM..

Old 10-05-2009, 08:28 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Go to any Wal-Mart in the South for your answer, at least as it relates to style. As for interpersonal relationships, it's arguable that southerners have a more genteel way of telling one to go f themselves.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:39 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Go to any Wal-Mart in the South for your answer, at least as it relates to style.
I figured someone would say this.

Why is Wal-Mart the authority on southern style? Do Wal Marts in Indiana look like a fashion show, or something?

Why not suggest that someone should go visit downtown Charleston on a sunny spring afternoon, for their answer? I guess middle and upper-middle class people wearing pastel colors and sperry topsiders don't jibe well with your stereotype.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:41 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Yes. We all go to the supermarket in dresses and petticoats and carry a parasol to shade us from the sun.

But seriously, no.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:47 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
It depended on class and where you are in the South. The South is a bit like old England in that it did have something of a class-system. If you were "white trash" or "hillbilly" you were likely going to stay that way and your manners would be more "low." Lower-class Southerners could therefore be blunt to the point of rudeness as I imagine was true of lower-class English in the nineteenth c. The more aristocratic Southerners were to be more genteel. (Poor-white Southerners remain a class perpetually "low" in most popular estimation)

Still I think respect for age tends to matter more in the South. Even among my relatively low-class Southern relatives you respect your elders and call them "sir" or "ma'am" or an equivalent. They didn't get dressed up though, except for formal occasions where people everywhere get dressed, and in some respects I'd say they were more informal than Northerners I know. Even moreso than poor Northerners.

Although some of this may no longer be as true as much of the South has "assimilated" to varying degrees.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post

Do Wal Marts in Indiana look like a fashion show, or something?
Absolutely not, but we like to think that's where all of the Kentucky transplants hang.

Relax, man, it was just a joke. I did spend 8 formative years in Arkansas, however, so you'll find that I love to challenge southerners' sense of manners.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:58 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
Quote:

The answer is no......we're just like the north we just live in the south.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Even among my relatively low-class Southern relatives you respect your elders and call them "sir" or "ma'am" or an equivalent.
Sure, but inside you know they're still thinking, "*********, you old fart."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.