Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 04:03 PM

644 posts, read 3,314,448 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles is second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 04:13 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times
Scranton is third. Wal-Mart fashions all the way!

Old 06-06-2007, 07:42 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,544,226 times
What do we mean by well-dressed? Because I'm very picky in that department.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:44 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,544,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
New York and it isn't even close who is second.
...What???

Old 06-06-2007, 07:53 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,632,879 times
Quote:
New York and it isn't even close who is second.
I know many who'd beg to differ (including myself). It's impossible to rank an entire city as being the "best dressed" or "worst dressed". People in Scottsdale tend to dress very well as do many people in L.A., Dallas, New York, Washington D.C., etc. EVERY major city will have people who are very image-oriented but will also have an equal number of those that could care less. I personally try to dress well but I don't want to "over-impress". I usually wear a simple striped or solid collar shirt and tie with black or kahki pants for work in summer and usually a suit in the winter when it's chilly.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:36 PM

644 posts, read 3,314,448 times
What I mean by best dress is not dressed up to the nines. I mean, creative, interesting, take an interest in fashion. You can shop at thrift stores and still have an interesting look. I dated this guy once (off topic slightly) and he kept telling me he had great taste... "I have great taste!," he would say. Well, truth be told, he had horrible taste. Last time I saw him he was wearing these ghastly Frankenstine shoes--huge black things with thick black rubber soles and black laces...and he was so judgmental of me because I had this chemical peel on my face. Let me tell you, he could of used a chemical peel too and a little eyebrow shaping as well. Some of those buggers were sticking out past his nose!

Artie

Old 06-07-2007, 05:45 PM

422 posts, read 753,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artichoke63 View Post
I currently live in Los Angeles and people have a great sense of style here. Everyone is dressed well. Plenty of clothes shopping available too, and I've turned into a bit of a clothes wh(ore) whilst living here. When it came time to do taxes, I realized I'd spent all my income. Yet when I was packing up my apartment to put everything in storage, I was overcome by all the boxes of clothes -- and shoes! -- and purses! Sometimes I'll go to another town, and I'm shocked by how badly everyone dresses. You take it for granted living in Los Angeles.

I've just given you a very superficial example, but clothes and style also demonstrate a town's imagination, it's creativity, and art community. Just for fun, what are some of the best dressed towns you know of? Any surprises out there?
I guess you must be looking at a very selective group of LA's citizens, like maybe the ones shopping on Rodeo Drive or perhaps the rich Japanese tourists staying at the hotels downtown.

From my trips there, the average person in LA is dressed terribly. The typically LA male walks around in a wifebeater and low hanging jean shorts. Actually for every LA metrosexual like Brad Pitt whose styling for the paparazzi, there's probably ten thousand guys on the LA streets dressed as I've described above... perhaps even worse. You don't have to go to Compton to see them, just take a walk on Wilshire Blvd. sometime.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:25 AM

5,861 posts, read 15,182,390 times
New York
Dallas
Chicago

Old 06-08-2007, 05:54 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,341,309 times
People in Louisville I noticed were pretty well dressed, but then again it was a Sunday when I was there and everyone had just gotten out of church...many beautiful Southern belles Chicago and St. Louis are pretty well-dressed. Criminy, any city is well-dressed...it's the rural areas where you meet Jim Bob and Willy Mae in their torn-up trousers and overalls, everyone knows that COME ON!

Old 06-08-2007, 09:08 PM

26 posts, read 179,825 times
wow
dallas was on almost everyones list
its cause of me... : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.