U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2007, 05:38 AM

214 posts, read 182,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighSigh View Post
It all depends on what you mean by bland. But I think Denver would fit the criteria.
Agreed. Denver has five points, and Capitol Hill which are right out of downtown, and considered part of the center city. They have some city characteristics, five points more then Capitol Hill. However, once you walk out of the Cheesman park area, and go to Country Club, all of North Denver, most of South Denver, it feels like a suburbs. The City's neighborhoods don't change that much. They slowly change. Nothing compared to Northeast and Great Lake cities like Boston, Philly, Pittsburgh, Clevelands, etc.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 10:03 AM

5,716 posts, read 14,567,378 times
any place with tons of new development where character has yet to be molded

Old 09-24-2007, 10:06 AM

7,936 posts, read 13,859,513 times
Cary, NC sticks out in my head as bland, sprawling character-less cul-de-sacs of boring new subdivisions. Probably most newer suburbs of bigger cities fit this description.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:00 AM

1,573 posts, read 5,649,113 times
Default Ashburn, VA

Once upon a time, 25 years ago, Ashburn, VA was a pretty, green, rural/farm area, just beyond the outer limits of the DC suburbs. Today, it is a completely subdivided, sterile, virtually treeless place. I have a friend who describes it as "soul-less" and I think that is apt. There are lots of shiny new restaurants and big box retail stores to complement the shiny new housing and townhome developments. I guess every city seems to have suburbs like this, but the thing about Ashburn is that it will cost you twice what the same characterless suburban living will cost you in Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, etc, and it will feel NO different.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:04 AM

214 posts, read 182,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
Once upon a time, 25 years ago, Ashburn, VA was a pretty, green, rural/farm area, just beyond the outer limits of the DC suburbs. Today, it is a completely subdivided, sterile, virtually treeless place. I have a friend who describes it as "soul-less" and I think that is apt. There are lots of shiny new restaurants and big box retail stores to complement the shiny new housing and townhome developments. I guess every city seems to have suburbs like this, but the thing about Ashburn is that it will cost you twice what the same characterless suburban living will cost you in Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, etc, and it will feel NO different.
I always find it strange that most American's feel they don't make it until they own their two car garage house in everywhereville America. I want a house in an old neighborhood to fix up and make nicer for a family after me.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:26 PM

5,857 posts, read 14,043,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJimmy View Post
I always find it strange that most American's feel they don't make it until they own their two car garage house in everywhereville America. I want a house in an old neighborhood to fix up and make nicer for a family after me.
Two car garage? He//, 3-car is the standard in the burbs in my area.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:15 PM

12,284 posts, read 31,756,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJimmy View Post
a lot of times, most people are priced out of those old neighborhoods, and/or the schools aren't up to par.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:30 PM

180 posts, read 204,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
In some of Dallas and Atlanta's older neighborhoods I find them some of the most beautiful architecturally with lots of charm and character.
Good answer...suburban communities would have more bland, cookie-cutter type construction, but many people associate entire cities with that look. Sunbelt cities have old neighborhoods full of victorians, craftmans, queen annes, bungalows, colonials, tudors, etc. just like any other city founded prior to 1970.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:58 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,755,794 times
Every city in the country founded before 1950 has nice houses, somewhere. However, if you take a city with 100,000 people, and 40 years later it has four million, you tend not to notice the few houses that remain. It isn't their existance that matters, it is their numbers relative to what exists now.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:28 PM

180 posts, read 204,653 times
But keep in mind that most of the new construction is suburban and actually located in separate cities from the main metro city. I wouldn't really associate a new subdivision in a small-town suburb located 50 miles from Downtown with the style of homes in that particular city. I would think more about the houses within the actual city and link the in-town style with that city. In-town neighborhoods are much more representative of the true city than suburban ones...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or