U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-06-2007, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska (moving to Ohio)
673 posts, read 3,751,948 times
Reputation: 474

Advertisements

What cities have lots of bland, icky and characterless neighborhoods in your opinion?

-Omaha, Nebraska: newer areas are are very nicely planned, but the inner-portion itself a vast majority of it while getting better is just very old, characterless and boring. Lots of horrible cheap architecture

-Lincoln, Nebraska: This place really planned itself around the car, lots of cheap small old wooden homes with tons of old stuff all over their unmowed yards. Alot of people dont maintain their yards either or take pride in their homes.
Very little sense of community compared to other places and lots of vacant lots everywhere. Some neighborhoods are just look spooky. They have a few exceptions to the rule architecturally but not many.

-Sioux Falls, South Dakota: Most boring looking city other then the very hilly topography I have ever seen. The disctinctiveness of the neighborhoods compared to other cities is very, very low. Just very bland

-Indianapolis, Indiana: For a large city this is not a neighborhoody city at all.
How about trying to be original rather then most of the neighborhoods looking like rural towns?

-Davenport, Iowa: Didnt see much unique about this place either unlike its counterpart Dubuque.

-Dayton, Ohio: By Ohio standards for one of the larger cities in the state I found it to seem rather bland and it didnt seem like a place of diverse and interesting neighborhoods like Cincinnati or Columbus.

Last edited by MattDen; 06-06-2007 at 03:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-06-2007, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Wi for the summer--Vegas in the winter
653 posts, read 3,132,372 times
Reputation: 259
You want BLAND, CHARACTERLESS Neighborhoods?? You need look no further than LAS VEGAS NEVADA!!! Gated communities, Cinder Block walls, tacky strip mall upon tacky strip mall. That along with Urban Planning gone berserk!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2007, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
4,486 posts, read 15,278,657 times
Reputation: 3935
Quote:
Omaha, Nebraska: newer areas are are very nicely planned, but the inner-portion itself a vast majority of it while getting better is just very old, characterless and boring. Lots of horrible cheap architecture
Come now, have you been to Old Town? I mean cobblestone streets, great restaurants, parks, horse-driven carriages, etc; I wouldn't call that bland!

Quote:
-Sioux Falls, South Dakota: Most boring looking city other then the very hilly topography I have ever seen. The disctinctiveness of the neighborhoods compared to other cities is very, very low. Just very bland
Sioux Falls is a city based on suburbs, it really isn't a "city". I mean it's a nice place to live with some great amenities but it truly is bland.

Quote:
Davenport, Iowa: Didnt see much unique about this place either unlike its counterpart Dubuque.
Very true. Davenport is very crime-ridden and many of the older neighborhoods are in a state of disrepair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2007, 08:08 PM
 
Location: In exile, plotting my coup
2,408 posts, read 13,358,698 times
Reputation: 1792
I find much of the high-growth "newer" Sunbelt cities to be full of bland and characterless neighborhoods. They have their exceptions, but in general, places like Atlanta, Phoenix, Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh, and Dallas, their neighborhoods just leave me cold. They oftentimes mirror the exurbs of many older cities that tend to have more unique and traditionally structured neighborhoods, places like Chicago, New York, Boston, DC, Philadelphia, etc. in the sense that they tend to be geared towards the automobile, oftentimes are divided into subdivisions with a similar housing stock, isolate residential areas from commercial areas, and just in general have little to no street life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2007, 08:44 PM
 
6,552 posts, read 13,748,511 times
Reputation: 3025
In the Midwest, Indianapolis and Dayton seem to be bland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2007, 08:46 PM
 
15 posts, read 36,823 times
Reputation: 11
It all depends on what you mean by bland. But I think Denver would fit the criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2007, 12:11 AM
 
Location: Coachella Valley, California
15,564 posts, read 36,545,862 times
Reputation: 13180
To me, any brand new housing development looks bland and has no character. No large trees, everything dry and just as bland as can be. There are a couple of new housing developments in the Coachella Valley, where I live, that are not bland and have character, but they are both too far from the main part of town. That wouldn't bother me so much, but my husband doesn't like to live anywhere further than 10 minutes of a grocery store, video store or copy store. The two places I'm talking about are about 15-20 minutes from the stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2007, 07:19 AM
 
Location: The great state of New Hampshire
792 posts, read 2,903,026 times
Reputation: 430
By Indianapolis if you mean downtown, I would concur. But ever been in the Meridian Street vicinity in the north central side of town? Kessler Street? Broad Ripple vicinity? Much of north central Indy in fact has splendid homes and neighborhoods. Indy is no Boston for sure, but it isn't that bad and you could do much worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2007, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
5,367 posts, read 12,974,087 times
Reputation: 5348
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
I find much of the high-growth "newer" Sunbelt cities to be full of bland and characterless neighborhoods. They have their exceptions, but in general, places like Atlanta, Phoenix, Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh, and Dallas, their neighborhoods just leave me cold. They oftentimes mirror the exurbs of many older cities that tend to have more unique and traditionally structured neighborhoods, places like Chicago, New York, Boston, DC, Philadelphia, etc. in the sense that they tend to be geared towards the automobile, oftentimes are divided into subdivisions with a similar housing stock, isolate residential areas from commercial areas, and just in general have little to no street life.
In some of Dallas and Atlanta's older neighborhoods I find them some of the most beautiful architecturally with lots of charm and character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2007, 12:05 AM
 
2,248 posts, read 6,205,020 times
Reputation: 2078
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown stuntman View Post
By Indianapolis if you mean downtown, I would concur. But ever been in the Meridian Street vicinity in the north central side of town? Kessler Street? Broad Ripple vicinity? Much of north central Indy in fact has splendid homes and neighborhoods. Indy is no Boston for sure, but it isn't that bad and you could do much worse.
Agreed. I defy anyone here to show me a "bland and characterless" neighborhood in central city Indianapolis. (Mod cut). Much of inner-city Indianapolis housing stock is identical to Detroit and Cleveland.

Last edited by ontheroad; 09-24-2007 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: personal attacks are against TOS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top