Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 04:49 PM

673 posts, read 4,059,318 times

Advertisements

What cities have lots of very interesting, fun and exciting neighborhoods with lots of interesting retail, culture, people and festivals?

-Denver, Colorado: This city really has alot of very nice inner neighborhoods with lots of cultural character. Its known for very strong neighborhood groups, tends to have very close-knit neighborhood groups. Its very outdoorsy so the alot of the neighbors are usually walking or biking around, people seem to be out and about so much more in Denver then other cities its size it just has so much more energy in its inner-neighborhoods then alot of cities of similar size. As far as neighborhood retail scene's Denver doesnt have as many as some other cities but it has several good ones, but it makes up for it in the fact that people tend to be very outdoorsy with-in their neighborhoods enjoying their parks.

-Pittsburgh, PA: This seemed to be a very, very neighborhood oriented city with tons of distinctive neighborhoods. I really want to see Pittsburgh again I think its common knowledge amongst most people that it is very-very under-rated.

-Columbus, OH: The university population I think is alot of the reason for the high vibrancy of Columbus it has in amazing set of great neighborhoods running along High street and alot of up and coming neighborhoods also.

-Louisville, KY: Shares some similarities with Columbus but tends to on a smaller-scale, up and coming city would be nicer if the neighborhoods were friendlier though.
-Cincinnati, OH: Great architecture, Great city except the very high violent crime
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 04:53 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,051,695 times
Some other cities I've enjoyed exploring are:

San Francisco
Portland, OR
Seattle, WA
Philadelphia, PA
Boston, MA
New York, NY
Chicago, IL

All larger large or mid-sized cities; all with distinctive neighbourhoods; some with great festivals and festivities.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:38 PM

653 posts, read 3,399,536 times
Along with Madison Wisconsin, I have found Portland Oregon, Seattle Washington and Minneapolis Minnesota to be quite interesting. Dubuque Iowa and Duluth Minnesota (small cities) are quite appealing as well. As is Marquette Michigan.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:48 PM

15 posts, read 41,475 times
Denver is definitely NOT a city of unique and interesting neighborhoods. There's maybe, oh, three?

Sorry. Suburbia, Wal Mart, and the megachurch are in the drivers seat in Denver.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:52 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,358,783 times
I think that the older cities tend to have more of a monopoly on a high concentration of unique neighborhoods, places like New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Chicago, New Orleans, DC and Baltimore. I've never been there, but from pictures I've seen, I've also been really impressed by many of the quirky little neighborhoods in both Milwaukee and St. Louis as well.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:48 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,876,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighSigh View Post
Denver is definitely NOT a city of unique and interesting neighborhoods. There's maybe, oh, three?

Sorry. Suburbia, Wal Mart, and the megachurch are in the drivers seat in Denver.
Quiznos is from Denver! My favorite sandwich shop chain ... white bread, here I come. with Mozzarella cheese, of course ... or stuff that looks like it.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:10 AM

362 posts, read 1,848,665 times
St. Louis definitely has some very unique and and beautiful neighborhoods full of character, but then again it also has its fair share of sprawling bland suburbia.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:15 AM

15 posts, read 41,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Quiznos is from Denver! My favorite sandwich shop chain ... white bread, here I come. with Mozzarella cheese, of course ... or stuff that looks like it.
Yep!

I must say, though, that Quiznos was never my favorite growing up. When I was a teenager I worked at Subway and often you'd get a Quiznos employee coming in to eat because he found the whole 'oven-baked' business a little overdone.

A ways down the road now I think I've grown to prefer Quiznos to Subway, however.

Seriously, though, people deride the whole suburban white bread thing--but I don't think it's so bad. I mean, Denver is the stereotypical SUV, 3 or 4 kids, Jesus-fish on the back, big suburban home, vote Republican, etc. kind of city. For tons of people that may just be totally lame. But we've also got the accoutrements of suburban living. Quiznos, Noodles, Chipotle, nice homes, good schools, good roads, etc that you don't get by living in an uber-urban kind of place.

In Denver you miss out on a lot of the character and culture of urban cities like Boston or even Chicago, but you also get the benefits of the Jesus-fish suburban lifestyle.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:28 PM

10,118 posts, read 15,782,416 times
Washington, D.C.
San Francisco
Baltimore

Old 06-07-2007, 01:58 PM

332 posts, read 1,620,430 times
Basically, the bigger, older, and more immigrant-influenced the city, the more interesting areas you will find.

Personally, I'd say NY wins this one hands down, with maybe Chicago, Boston, Philly and SF as runners-up. New Orleans might be a contender too, but I've never been there so I can't comment first hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.