U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2007, 04:51 AM

23,651 posts, read 33,457,399 times

Advertisements

I am getting sicker and sicker of all the problems of the DC area and now even my mother is starting to agree a little bit. I know a lot of folks from the Northeast are moving to NC. Any idea where a lot of folks from DC area are moving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 01:13 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,364,986 times
My general impression is that people in the DC area are heading to the same places everyone else is for the same reasons (cheaper homes, less frenetic, warmer winters, etc.). The main places I hear about from people here in terms of where they're planning to move or where they have family or friends moving, are Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, Atlanta and Nashville. I remember when I was younger hearing about Dallas, Phoenix, Denver, Los Angeles and Seattle, but there doesn't seem to me to be as many people from here heading West nowadays. There's also a lot who are moving from the inner suburbs to the extreme fringes of the area, places like the West Virginia panhandle, the Eastern Shore of Maryland or St. Mary's, Calvert and Charles counties, and rural-ish areas out towards Winchester, Front Royal and Warrenton. That's my own unscientific observation.

My family however is bucking the trend towards Southern migration in this country. When my mother moved out of the area two years ago, she moved to the Harrisburg, Pennsylvania area where she's originally from. She loves it. Winters are colder, snower and drearier, the economy not as diverse and jobs pay way less and there's less to do as far as recreational activities, but still, she was able to buy a nice home for half the price that she sold her townhouse for in Virginia, the traffic is non-existent, and she finds the people much friendlier (albeit extremely provincial and more conservative than she's become accustomed to in the DC area). My younger brother is likely to follow within the next two years, either to Harrisburg or the Philadelphia area. Myself, I'm heading to New York, at least for the time being.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:14 PM

5,129 posts, read 10,263,279 times
We just moved from Greenbelt to central MA, don't know if that counts, since we did not live in DC, but we were on the "green line", LOL. Better air, beautiful hills, lakes etc. I don't miss the Beltway, the code orange/red days, the craziness.....

Old 06-08-2007, 12:07 PM

23,651 posts, read 33,457,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
We just moved from Greenbelt to central MA, don't know if that counts, since we did not live in DC, but we were on the "green line", LOL. Better air, beautiful hills, lakes etc. I don't miss the Beltway, the code orange/red days, the craziness.....
is it more expensive in MA? b/c standard of living is one of the bigger problems with the DC area.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:20 PM

5,129 posts, read 10,263,279 times
No.... for the price we sold our brick townhouse in Greenbelt, we bought a small single family home here, my husband gets the same wages. Electricity is cheaper, gas about the same, food slightly higher, but I shop at a health food store, I think "regular" food prices are about the same. Our car insurance is a few $ more, but only $20 or so/year. Property taxes are about the same, too.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:29 AM

5,370 posts, read 12,985,769 times
We left D.C. and moved to Seattle. We absolutely love it.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:21 AM

570 posts, read 1,911,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I am getting sicker and sicker of all the problems of the DC area and now even my mother is starting to agree a little bit. I know a lot of folks from the Northeast are moving to NC. Any idea where a lot of folks from DC area are moving?
I know when I visited Richmond, there were many, many DC transplants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or