U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 06:50 PM

117 posts, read 409,388 times

Advertisements

So many...unfortunately. Not too familiar with the Northeast or the upper midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 06:54 PM

1,928 posts, read 4,633,519 times
For me, the Northeast is pretty much a mystery. I was as far east as Boston once, but that was many years ago. Also, the Carolinas and much of the deep South I've never seen and of course Alaska and Hawaii.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:10 PM

72 posts, read 239,653 times
I'd have to say the Great Plains states, Pacific Northwest, along with Rhode Island and Delaware for how small they are. I've never been to true farm country like the Great Plains, just small towns surrounded by wilderness. But other than that, I've been to and lived everywhere else.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:12 PM

537 posts, read 1,760,376 times
The only areas I haven't been to are Hawaii and Alaska. I hope to go to Alaska in the next couple of years. Otherwise I have been to most areas of the US. We like to travel and I like seeing different places. There has not really been a place that I have hated. I love seeing a wide variety of climates, terrains etc.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:24 PM

2,851 posts, read 5,591,223 times
Out of all the States I know the least about the Dakotas, Idaho (except potatoes), and Wyoming. Hawaii seems confusing to me. I never can get straight which Island is which. All I know is Honolulu is the main city.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:31 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,217,065 times
everything in-between both coasts.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:59 PM

3,596 posts, read 7,708,562 times
This was an actual conversation had the other day, where I apparently just blanked and spouted the dumbest geographical error since "The Iraq":

Friend: "So we're thinking of going to Wyoming, and..."
Me: "Wait, that's in Ohio or something, right?"
Friend: "... No, that's a state on the other side of--"
Me: "Wyoming is a state? No it's not, I'm pretty sure that's a city in, um... you know, Wyoming, a city, it's in um..."
Friend stares at me.
Me: "... Oh my god, maybe Wyoming really is a state."

Later that day I actually googled it and, sure enough... Wyoming is a state. But doesn't it sound like a city? Am I really the only person to make this error? I mean, I'm a highly educated professional that provides intensely complex tax analysis and litigation for corporations, how the hell did I attain higher education without somewhere along the way learning about Wyoming?

I've lived in New York City, Chicago and Los Angeles. America outside of these cities is completely unknown to me.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:18 PM

18,696 posts, read 36,462,881 times
That is too funny. But, I can assure you that Wyoming is, in fact, a state. We got us a governor and everything.

Years ago, when I was a young tike growing up in South Dakota, somebody mentioned North Dakota. I said, you mean like up in Belle Forche? They said, no, that's Northern South Dakota. I thought about it a minute and said, "You mean there's another one? I think I was about 8 or 9 then.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:36 PM

1,455 posts, read 3,584,201 times
[QUOTE]North and South Dakota. I've never met anyone from there, so I don't believe they really exist. [/QUOTE]

This made me laugh!

Before we considered moving to Utah, I don't believe I had EVER said "Utah" outloud! There's an episode of Friends where one of them are making the US with torn paper, trying to get them all right, and Joey says "Utah? You can't just make up states you know!" Everyone we told who had never been out here said "U- what??"

Old 12-16-2007, 12:57 AM

8,193 posts, read 22,336,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
On a recent game of "fill in the states", I got lost in the New England ones. I knew New York and Maine, but that was it. The middle part of the country (Wyoming, N. Dakota, S. Dakota, Montana, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, etc.) seem almost unreal to me. I need to get out more, obviously.
Kudos just for knowing that Maine is not a part of Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or