U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-07-2007, 10:25 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
644 posts, read 3,111,221 times
Reputation: 334

Advertisements

What is your idea of fun? If you know what fun is and Phoenix doesn't offer it, maybe it's time to move. The Bay area and Phoenix are totally different.

Artie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2007, 10:33 PM
 
Location: Debary, Florida
2,267 posts, read 2,535,906 times
Reputation: 685
I used to worry that was what was wrong with me.

I grew up both near Boston and near Dallas, after high school I returned to living near Boston thinking I would be happy there which I wasn't, I later went back to Texas.

I wasn't really happy with where I lived until I moved to Florida. I went for a walk earlier tonight and just felt such peaceful happiness at where I live now. For the first time, I feel this is MY home.

The other places were home also but only because my family lived there.

Florida is MY home.
Maybe you just haven't found the right place yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2007, 11:16 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
644 posts, read 3,111,221 times
Reputation: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I used to worry that was what was wrong with me.

I grew up both near Boston and near Dallas, after high school I returned to living near Boston thinking I would be happy there which I wasn't, I later went back to Texas.

I wasn't really happy with where I lived until I moved to Florida. I went for a walk earlier tonight and just felt such peaceful happiness at where I live now. For the first time, I feel this is MY home.

The other places were home also but only because my family lived there.

Florida is MY home.
Maybe you just haven't found the right place yet.
Lisa,

I love your post. what made you pick Florida? Why is it special there?

Artie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2007, 09:54 AM
 
Location: Debary, Florida
2,267 posts, read 2,535,906 times
Reputation: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by artichoke63 View Post
Lisa,

I love your post. what made you pick Florida? Why is it special there?

Artie

At the time I was offered a job here. I had just returned from spending vacation here so I had an idea what its like.

I love the weather, I can't take cold at all. I love being near the beach, I love how its green most of the time here, I live in a nice neighborhood.

Florida is about where I want to live, not an accident because thats where my family lives.

My daughter and I always have something to do, we can go to the pool in our neighborhood or something big like Disney.

I live in a small town but I can drive an hour and be to either Daytona or Orlando in the center of all the fun.

I have stepped outside to watch the Shuttle take off...
I can hear the sonic booms when it re-enters.

In January we drove three hours over to Sanibel Island and stayed there with friends for a week. It was idyllic. Most people have to get on a plane to get to somewhere like that.

Part of my love for the place is that I left my toxic family in Texas. When I lived there, people in town knew who I was and thought of me as part of that family and not always in a good way...here I am just my daughters Mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2007, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
644 posts, read 3,111,221 times
Reputation: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
At the time I was offered a job here. I had just returned from spending vacation here so I had an idea what its like.

I love the weather, I can't take cold at all. I love being near the beach, I love how its green most of the time here, I live in a nice neighborhood.

Florida is about where I want to live, not an accident because thats where my family lives.

My daughter and I always have something to do, we can go to the pool in our neighborhood or something big like Disney.

I live in a small town but I can drive an hour and be to either Daytona or Orlando in the center of all the fun.

I have stepped outside to watch the Shuttle take off...
I can hear the sonic booms when it re-enters.

In January we drove three hours over to Sanibel Island and stayed there with friends for a week. It was idyllic. Most people have to get on a plane to get to somewhere like that.

Part of my love for the place is that I left my toxic family in Texas. When I lived there, people in town knew who I was and thought of me as part of that family and not always in a good way...here I am just my daughters Mother.
Great story. I'm glad you found a place to make you happy.

Artie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2007, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA
6,239 posts, read 15,460,214 times
Reputation: 8110
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Everything is a risk and I am risk averse.
You are not risk averse. People who are risk averse don't make any changes at all! At least you moved, at least you had to courage to try something new. I'm envious since I've never lived outside of Los Angeles County!

If you're depressed by being so far away from the ocean then you need to move back to it. You may have to compromise what you want (a house) with what will make you happy overall (living in the Bay Area, right?). There's nothing wrong with renting forever, and I'd rather rent in an area I like than own a house in an area I hate. Owning a home in an area you hate would only work if you're a hermit, and have no interest whatsoever in your surroundings!

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2007, 11:09 AM
 
15,254 posts, read 16,856,487 times
Reputation: 25438
There are other places to live besides the Bay Area and Scottsdale, Arizona. Sounds like the only reason you left was because it was expensive, so why don't you look at other coastal cities with more affordable housing and less of an earthquake risk? Your house is paid for and you have plenty of money, so why don't you start taking some trips to other places and see if anything clicks for you? You're not married and you don't seem to love your job, so why not do some exploring? The world is full of places to live--there's no reason to be stuck somewhere you're unhappy.

It's possible that you could move somewhere else and still be unhappy, because you're depressed rather than just don't like where you live, but because you were happier in the Bay Area I say you oughta look around some. Sounds like a great adventure to me.

BTW, I'm from Corpus Christi (Texas Gulf Coast) and was living inland about 4 hours. One day I heard a Toni Price song about having to get back to the sea, and that was it. That night I started thinking about moving back and about a year later I was here. I'm always happier "on the edge" than "in the middle."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2007, 11:48 AM
 
4,247 posts, read 9,377,326 times
Reputation: 1461
Well, thanks everyone. One good thing is that my house is being painted and fixed up. I found a good handyman who can do just about everything.

Once it's done, I'll feel like it's good enough to show.

Then maybe I'll find my way back to some part of the coast.

I hate being landlocked in a place with no water.

It's interesting, but in other forums I've found people say they can be happy anywhere, and I just don't understand that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2007, 11:57 AM
 
Location: IN
20,864 posts, read 36,004,584 times
Reputation: 13310
I never did like the area of NW Indiana when I lived there. The whole atmosphere was rather depressing and jobs were dissapearing as the region became a rust-belt. Also, the area is extremely cloudy during many parts of the year, and is downwind from many coal power plants that exist near the lakeshore around Gary. You could just tell that the air quality was not great when the wind switched to the northwest and brought all that bad air to areas southeast of the Lake Michigan industrial areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2007, 12:17 PM
 
1,965 posts, read 5,792,516 times
Reputation: 1273
I hear you. Personally I could live in Arizona, but there are places (Midwest, Texas) where I would not like to live. I like to be near mountains. I agree with the person from Florida who stated that there is a place that just feels like home. For me the "place" is San Diego and I am planning on moving back there as soon as I land a similarly paying job there. Movin' On- do you have kids? If not, move back to the bay area and live in a small place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top