Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 05:23 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,449,860 times

Advertisements

I've been living here for 3.5 years. I lived here before and didn't like it. I left after a year. God knows why I came back here, but it was a combo of ease, familiarity, cheapness, and the fact my former company had jobs here.

I live in the most desirable part of this metropolis. I have a lovely home that is paid for and money in the bank. I could cruise along and just get some simple job with benefits (if only we had socialized medicine I'd be set for life), I wouldn't bother to work at all. I'd probably get a job after awhile, but there wouldn't be the pressing need for one due to benefits.

Which is easier? Get married to someone with benefits or get a job?

At any rate, I am really struggling. I've tried here and gone to functions and I never feel quite right, unless I'm on the fringe in something most people find quite controversial. And this State, in general, is conservative, although getting bluer, thanks to Californians moving here. I should mention I came here from the San Francisco Bay Area, which is quite liberal, even if I felt too "normal" there. At least it was interesting. At least there was water. And there were more fun things to do than there was time for. And it was so expensive, which was the drawback.

So I guess my subject line is the question and I welcome input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 05:28 PM

644 posts, read 3,320,759 times
I'm confused. What metropolis are you living in? Where is "here"?

In answer to your second question, yes, you can sell your soul to a job just like to can to a marriage or anything that is not really you. The key is find who YOU really are....and then you can find where you belong.

Artie

Old 06-07-2007, 05:30 PM

675 posts, read 2,684,418 times
In a word - "yes". Although a place may be perfect for you, on paper, if it never feels right, then it maybe it isn't.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:37 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
Ditto!

Sometimes it just doesn't feel right! And when it doesn't it is best to think how to get out and where to go next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KidsforMe View Post
In a word - "yes". Although a place may be perfect for you, on paper, if it never feels right, then it maybe it isn't.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artichoke63 View Post
I'm confused. What metropolis are you living in? Where is "here"?

In answer to your second question, yes, you can sell your soul to a job just like to can to a marriage or anything that is not really you. The key is find who YOU really are....and then you can find where you belong.

Artie
I live in Scottsdale, AZ -- N. Scottsdale to be precise, which people on the AZ board seem to think is wonderful. I'm miserable. I cannot figure out what to do for fun in this place.

If I had my druthers, I'd go for a walk on Ocean Beach and then to Chinatown to either look for dishes or eat or buy some Asian jewelry.

Well, this isn't me. I just wish there were a way to plop my property into the Bay Area and everything would be fine. Therein lies my struggle. Cost of living is less here, for a reason. Cost of living is much higher there, for a reason. It's all about supply and demand.

But maybe I'm just picky. I thought I could be happy with a pool, but it just doesn't cut it (an understatement).

Oh, that is Phoenix area. I drove through a part of Phoenix last night and thought, you couldn't pay me to live here. I hate Phoenix.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KidsforMe View Post
So does one listen to one's heart, even if it's a huge risk and expensive and less secure, or does one go with the head? Yes, I've taken big risks before and been happier, with respect to California, but I am not a youngster and I'm single, btw. I've fallen into the trap of security, but I don't feel alive.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:58 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,899,154 times
So you moved back to Ohio to your old job?
That's like a nightmare!

... I assumed it was Ohio, per your thread title question.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
So you moved back to Ohio to your old job?
That's like a nightmare!

... I assumed it was Ohio, per your thread title question.
Ok, I am confused. I posted the thread title. I moved here from San Francisco Bay Area. Originally I am from Minnesota, and I imagine that is better than Ohio. I get depressed each time I land in Minneapolis. Hope that clears things up. Landing in the Bay Area is a sight to behold, if for no other reason it's beautiful.

To clarify further, I now live in Scottsdale, AZ.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:10 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,899,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Ok, I am confused. I posted the thread title. I moved here from San Francisco Bay Area. Originally I am from Minnesota, and I imagine that is better than Ohio. I get depressed each time I land in Minneapolis. Hope that clears things up. Landing in the Bay Area is a sight to behold, if for no other reason it's beautiful.

To clarify further, I now live in Scottsdale, AZ.
You asked "is it possible to just never be happy in a place" and I said yes, that place for me is Ohio. You said you moved back to place X where your former employer had jobs open, making it sound like you moved back to Crapville in order to retake your old job (old employer, same thing).

Wisconsin is better than Indiana and Ohio, so Minnesota has a chance. It's a long drive from mid-state Illinois. What's to see? Should I schedule a personal interview with Garrison Keillor?

I think it's odd that someone likes both the Bay Area and Greater Phoenix. One place has a lot of water and a temperate climate, and the other is the opposite.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
You asked "is it possible to just never be happy in a place" and I said yes, that place for me is Ohio. You said you moved back to place X where your former employer had jobs open, making it sound like you moved back to Crapville in order to retake your old job (old employer, same thing).

Wisconsin is better than Indiana and Ohio, so Minnesota has a chance. It's a long drive from mid-state Illinois. What's to see? Should I schedule a personal interview with Garrison Keillor?

I think it's odd that someone likes both the Bay Area and Greater Phoenix. One place has a lot of water and a temperate climate, and the other is the opposite.
I don't like the Bay Area and Phoenix area. I love the Bay Area and hate Phoenix area.

I guess I am just looking for some green light or affirmation to move on. Part of me fears that I am just looking for Nirvana, which doesn't exist. It's hard starting over anywhere. Yet maybe there are better places, for certain people, to start over. Know what I mean?

BTW, I should add, if I were to move back to the Bay Area, there are earthquakes. No place to own your house outright. Apart from that, there are mortgages, which I hate. Okay, I am slightly umm...whatever.

Everything is a risk and I am risk averse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.