U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 12:32 PM

164 posts, read 513,288 times

Advertisements

I want to study in the US and have narrowed down my university choices in the areas: SF bay area, Tampa and Houston. I like nature and beaches where I can walk my dogs, but be somewhere near an urban area as I like going out too. I like a moderate to warm climate. As I am from Amsterdam I wouldn't feel comfortable in an area that is too conservative. Could you give your opinion about the places I want to choose from? THX!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 01:03 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,240,132 times
San Francisco...the other 2 are too conservative for you. SF is one of the most liberal areas of the country. It's beautiful and right on the coast too.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:07 PM

2,317 posts, read 6,887,325 times
I agree. You would feel out of place in Tampa, especially. Florida is, in my humble opinion, a little backwards and very conservative. Houston is not a bad place, but it is a bit conservative too.

But the SF Bay Area will give you the moderately warm Mediterranean climate, a truly urban experience, good public transit, and excellent proximity to beaches and nature. San Francisco is (like Amsterdam) often considered one of the great cities of the world. You can't say that about Houston or Tampa. Also, SF is very liberal.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:18 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,416,959 times
What school do you like best? Is cost an issue?

SF is definitely the most liberal of the three, but you will find plenty of fellow non-conservatives (including the very liberal) in all three cities, especially if you're going to school.

I'd go with the school that fits your interests and needs best. You'll probably have a great time in all three cities, and you're not locked in forever, anyway; it's a chance to explore places where you might never otherwise experience.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:02 AM

598 posts, read 1,521,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Florida is, in my humble opinion, a little backwards and very conservative. Houston is not a bad place, but it is a bit conservative too.
Florida is very conservative and Houston is a bit conservative?

Apparently you missed out on the results from the past presidential election.
Florida went Democratic, Texas wasn't even close. The Tampa Bay area is second only to the Miami-Ft Lauderdale area in terms of density of liberal/democratic voters. Hillsborough County(Tampa) went for Obama at 51%, neighboring Pinellas County (St Petersburg) went 54% for Obama. Much of Florida can be conservative, and a bit backwards, but that is not the case for the entire state.

The Tampa Bay area fulfills all of the OPs criteria, like most anywhere in the US, one can find an area or neighborhood that matches ones lifestyle choices.

Your take on Florida would be similar to this stereotypical view:

Portland, OR (your place of residence) is a city where it does nothing but rain, is full of grungy flannel wearing/weed smoking/vegan hippies and tree-hugging/bleeding-heart/ultra-politically-correct liberals, lots of homeless people because their aren't enough decent paying jobs, and its citizens have an aversion to shaving (men/faces, women/legs & underarms).

Old 04-13-2010, 07:46 AM

18,633 posts, read 27,060,365 times
^^ Houston does not equal Texas as Obama and the Democrats won the city of Houston and Harris County in 2008.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
^^ Houston does not equal Texas as Obama and the Democrats won the city of Houston and Harris County in 2008.
But the point is that it's the least liberal of the three.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:05 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,152,690 times
Conservative cities tend to not elect lesbian Mayors.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:09 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,359,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie73 View Post
I want to study in the US and have narrowed down my university choices in the areas: SF bay area, Tampa and Houston. I like nature and beaches where I can walk my dogs, but be somewhere near an urban area as I like going out too. I like a moderate to warm climate. As I am from Amsterdam I wouldn't feel comfortable in an area that is too conservative. Could you give your opinion about the places I want to choose from? THX!

Well, before this thread devolves into another "North vs. South' thread, what universities are you looking at?

In the Bay Area, at least, there are plenty of schools with widely different feels. Berkeley is a college town with all the hippies and bums on the street, but is in a dense urban area with students who are pretty apathetic and conservatively Asian for the most part. Stanford, on the other hand, is surrounded by the richest suburban parts of the Bay Area with a relatively nice well kept campus (albeit kinda boring and out there). SF State is right next to a mall, so there's always shopping.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:10 AM

The point is that the Bay area is by far the most liberal area, end of story. No use arguing it. Everyone knows this. Well, every educated person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or