U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 03:07 AM

126 posts, read 573,430 times

Advertisements

Which cities and areas are best for the whole Fall experience -- pumpkins, apple orchard picking, lots of gorgeous leaves turning, crisp weather, etc. I know New England is FABULOUS for this but it's not an area we're looking at--more Midwest/Southeast. And are any of these areas fairly diverse politically and socially? I lived in New England for a fall/winter and just fell in love with the Fall experience there. Being from Denver, where the only REALLY gorgeous Fall leaves are hours away in the mountains (Aspens!), I really miss it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 03:21 AM

5,373 posts, read 12,991,955 times
Many don't know but Seattle is a great city for fall. I thought when I moved out here from D.C. I would miss the fall season. Its great.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:03 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,914,308 times
St. Louis is beautiful in the fall. No comment necessary...you have to be here to watch all the trees lose their foliage. You have your typical Midwestern farms selling pumpkins plus you can go apple-picking across the river in Illinois...fall in the Midwest is beautiful...Jimmany Crickets, I just loves it here

Old 06-08-2007, 05:48 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,964,144 times
Southern Indiana is great too. I love taking my kids over to Huber's Orchard to pick pumpkins and go through the corn maze and the "knobs" are beautiful with the changing leaves. bernheim Forest in Bullitt county KY is also beautiful.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:53 AM

87,030 posts, read 102,707,476 times
It seems like there is a lot of stuff like that all over Indiana, also Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:21 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,042,709 times
SW Missouri and the Ozarks region are absolutely gorgeous. Many small towns hold festivals this time of year-Apple Butter Making Days at Mount Vernon, Pumpkin Days at Republic, Marionville has some great orchards, there are several corn mazes around and the Carthage Maple Leaf Festival has the largest parade in the 4-states, with a marching band competition,pancake feeds,car show and activities around the beautiful courthouse after the parade. It is always held the 3rd Saturday in October. Carthage is known for it's many maple trees and has several bed and breakfasts in historic homes. It makes a great place to stay and venture out on a driving tour of the foliage.

A1.Ozark Mountains Fall Foliage Report, Photos, Foliage Driving Tours in the Ozarks

Old 06-08-2007, 08:06 AM

331 posts, read 1,484,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Many don't know but Seattle is a great city for fall. I thought when I moved out here from D.C. I would miss the fall season. Its great.
LOL!!!
My very first reaction when I read the original post was "Well, wherever it is, it sure isn't the northwest -- with all those pine trees!"

Looks like you very nicely made a liar of me. Beautiful pics -- I don't remember ever seeing anything like that while I was living out there -- coming from the northeast, I had serious leaf-peeping withdrawal every fall. Guess I was just in the wrong part of town!

Old 06-08-2007, 08:50 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,455,711 times
Anywhere in the midwest is gorgeous in fall. Especially southern IL, IN and Michigans UP (probably the best). WI has some beautiful areas too as does NW IL (Galena area). Nothing better than a crisp fall morning, skies bluer than you can imagine, the contrasting yellow/orange/red leaves against the blue skies, the apple cider, the smell of burning leaves, the haunted hayrides, carmel apples, etc, etc, etc.... I pity those in states who dont get to witness this yearly spectacle.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:05 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,889,510 times
Default Blue Ridge Parkway

The Blue Ridge Parkway thru Virginia & North Carolina is fabulous...but the traffic can be like driving thru a big city when the colors reach their peak.

Franco

Old 06-08-2007, 09:37 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,791,580 times
Berkshires in MA.

oops - reread the OP, it's still a great place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or