U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 11:27 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,343,335 times

Advertisements

We've lived in LOTS of places around the world and we chose Ohio to retire. No regrets, whatsoever! (But it wasn't an easy decision because we've been SO many places we liked...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 12:20 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,906,244 times
Seems like a sweeping statement, and I forgot my broom!

I don't think people are more unhappy in any of the states you list; some may be more expensive (MA, NY); others may have some other challenge (OH, PA)--but generally I think more people are satisfied than dissatisfied with their home.

Now, if only I could find mine!

Old 06-08-2007, 03:13 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,358,698 times
I used to live in New Jersey for a few years and have since lived in California, Arizona, North Carolina, Georgia and Virginia (where I grew up and currently live). I was happiest in New Jersey, and I am moving to New York in a couple of weeks. I met plenty of people up there who were perfectly happy with where they live and had no plans to move. I also met a good number that are looking to relocate to areas with cheaper housing, less gridlock, lower taxes, etc. It never felt to me like there was a crush of people dying to get out.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:52 PM

4,286 posts, read 13,391,713 times
I moved from NJ to SC and loved where I lived but couldn't afford it. If the taxes were lower I would have stayed. That being said, I also love SC and yes you can be happy in more than one state. I know a lot of people in NJ and they all are happy living there, only complaint is taxes.

I've been posting on here for over a year and I hear the same thing over and over about people hating the north or people in the south not wanting people in the north to move down here. This is coming from such a small fraction of people that are bitter, ignorant and negative. NJ is a great state with so much to offer and so is NY. I can't speak for CT because I've only been there once, same for OH. I grew up in PA, outside Philly and don't love it there but that means nothing, just my personal taste.

If you interviewed most people that moved from NJ to the south I would bet the taxes would be their #1 reason.

DNB - good luck on your move and if you're moving to NYC, I'm jealous. That's the greatest city in the country and just chosen as the safest!

Old 06-08-2007, 05:23 PM

185 posts, read 900,538 times
we only hate it when it snows. laughs

I live in upstate ny. i like it. great parks, pretty, rural, but I want to move high sales tax, extremely high property tax, poor schools, snow snow snow,

i'm not unhappy, but I do plan to move

Old 06-08-2007, 06:30 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,358,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture
If you interviewed most people that moved from NJ to the south I would bet the taxes would be their #1 reason.
Yup. From people I've spoken with, taxes seem to be the number one reason (especially people coming from New Jersey), and for many people, taxes have increased so much that it's less an issue of choosing to move than it is being forced to move and many would have just as well stayed if they could have. I would say the second most common reason for relocating is for warmer winters and/or sunnier weather. I think pretty much everyone who grew up anywhere from DC and north mutters at least a dozen times every Winter about how the second their keyhole thaws out and they replace their car battery, they're getting in their car and heading to Florida or Arizona and never looking back . Usually though, those feelings subside with the onset of Spring. I'd say the third most common reason is space. The Northeast is higher-density and a lot of people want more; more house, more land, more room to breathe, etc.
Quote:
DNB - good luck on your move and if you're moving to NYC, I'm jealous. That's the greatest city in the country and just chosen as the safest!
Thanks! Yes indeed I will be moving to New York, Brooklyn to be exact. Things haven't been finalized so I'm a little wary about saying too much just yet as the last time I almost moved there everything fell apart at the last second. I'm going up for a few days next week for job interviews and apartment hunting, so fingers crossed, in one month I'll officially be a resident of the Big Apple!

Old 06-08-2007, 11:48 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,280,822 times
Ohio has plenty of happy, delirious BUCKEYES.

I like Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, and western Pennsylvania generally.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:08 PM

7,815 posts, read 12,319,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Well, I just moved up to MA, so not sure if that will count, but I love it here. Beautiful scenery, so many forests, lakes or "ponds" as they seem to call them here. Beautiful quaint towns and the people are no more or less unfriendly than the ones in MD. So I am happy here!
Maryland's NOT friendly, at least not in teh Baltimore-DC area. Western Maryland and the Eastern Shore and Southern Maryland is different.

But its a lot friendlier in the South and the Midwest and even the SF Bay Area.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:14 PM

7,815 posts, read 12,319,426 times
I've already said enough about the people from New York and NJ.

Now the weather, I live in Maryland and I'm cooped up indoors the entire winter from November until April. Nobody I know here can stand the weather except for those very few who like to ski and snowboard.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:10 PM

36 posts, read 148,473 times
I've lived in NJ all of my life and this state has its good and bad points. We are in the process of moving to another state because of job relocation, but I will absolutely miss my home state. There is nowhere like New Jersey, and for the most part it's a great place to live and raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or