U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 02:48 PM

154 posts, read 642,556 times

Advertisements

i currently live in MA, and i've had experience in CT, OH, NJ & PA, and for the most part, the people seem to really enjoy it there. whoever said that the population density is the highest in some of these states (MA, CT, NJ) has a good point. if people didn't like living there, they wouldn't. sure, some of them are moving, but you'll find that anywhere. i personally hate it here, but i'm originally from a different part of the country. everyone else here seems to really enjoy it though, so good for them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 03:14 PM

4,286 posts, read 13,406,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
Maryland's NOT friendly, at least not in teh Baltimore-DC area. Western Maryland and the Eastern Shore and Southern Maryland is different.

But its a lot friendlier in the South and the Midwest and even the SF Bay Area.
It's funny, I've been to MD a couple times and everyone was friendly to me.

Couple things come to mind here...I have never been anywhere that I didn't find the people to be friendly, maybe it's an attitude thing. Also, maybe friendly to one person is not friendly to another? In general I don't have a problem with people. What do you know, I'm from NJ, hmmm?

Old 06-09-2007, 06:44 PM

127 posts, read 690,828 times
We love Manhattan, but we hope to move somewhere in the near future that has a slower pace of life and a lower cost of living. Otherwise, Manhattan is an amazing place.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:47 PM

570 posts, read 1,911,868 times
I've lived in a few other places in the country but now reside in Connecticut. Let me tell you, there isn't a better state out there.

Connecticut is extremely well kept, has beautiful suburbs with a very sophisticated and well educated population, mostly due to the excellent public schools here (many are better than private schools in other parts of the country). In the SW area of Connecticut, you have the ridiculously wealthy suburban communities close to NYC (with the most concentrated wealth in the country). In the NW corner of CT, you have the artsy Litchfield Hills with many vineyards, horse farms and quaint, rustic towns. Hartford is the insurance capitol of the country and has much in the way of culture and things to do. Eastern CT "The Quiet Corner" as many NYers call it, offers a relaxing lifestyle with cheap housing (well, cheap for CT), excellent universities and friendly people who say "Havahhd" instead of "Harvard." This area has closer ties to Boston than NYC.

Politically, people in CT are generally in the middle (leaning somewhat left). I would never suggest people here are liberal, and I would never suggest that they are republican. They are progressive, but fiscally conservative and conservative in their dress and mannerisms. Reserved but not rude. Polite but don't go out of their way.

IMO, I would never choose another place to live. I thought about FL, CA and going back to NC, but I'm here to stay. This place offers the best of all worlds.

Oh yeah, and the Merritt Parkway is the most beautiful highway I've ever traveled on.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:52 PM

244 posts, read 960,849 times
I'm very happy and live in NJ. As mentioned by others, it's a beautiful state (so much more than the turnpike). I am moving south, but it's for the financial reasons.

Also, I believe that happiness is internal, and moving to another area, you'll just take your issues with you.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:54 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,286,310 times
As a research assistant, sometimes data collection and coding can become difficult. Is it an authentic case, or am I seeing things?

Let's make this simple: I once lived in OH, and I was unhappy about it.

You can resume your normally scheduled data analysis at this time.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:36 PM

93 posts, read 291,214 times
Yeah! The people are happy in Pennsylvania. At least, the one's I've met(a lot!) The weather? No big deal. Sure it snows in the winter, so what? Snow's okay. Let me tell you, the summer's are warm, the springs are beautiful, and the Fall's the best! I could NEVER live in Flordia, California, or Texas. Maybe to visit, but the four seasons are way to beautiful to not see everyday!

Old 06-11-2007, 07:28 PM

30,237 posts, read 67,405,932 times
Why I LOVE Scranton, PA:
-Historic Architecture
-Proximity to NYC, Philly, the beaches, the Poconos
-Revitalizing Downtown
-"The Office"
-Minimal Traffic Congestion
-Affordable Cost-of-Living
-Great Schools
-Gorgeous Mountain Scenery
-Growing "Hip Twenty-Something" Type of Scene (Coffeeshops, galleries, lofts, etc.)
-Minor-League Sports
-Average Taxes
-Four Distinct Seasons
-Friendly People
-Festivals

Why I HATE Scranton, PA:
-Conservative Political Atmosphere
-Homophobia
-Uneducated Population
-Too Much Negativity
-Air Pollution
-Urban Sprawl Encouraged and Praised
-Political Corruption, Nepotism, Cronyism
-Low Ethnic Diversity
-Too Much of a "Haves" vs. "Have-Nots" Environment/Class Envy
-Urban Blight
-Mine-Scarred Land
-Poor Economy
-Potholes

Old 06-11-2007, 08:00 PM

1,486 posts, read 4,030,541 times
Sure there are some things to complain about the North East. But come on people? First off, some of the most educated, most powerful people in the world live and work in this part of the country. If I ever have children I want them exposed to that! Something you they won't get in Orlando.

Next, yes the North East is generally more expensive than the rest of the country, but you get what you pay for! There is a reason Mississippi is cheap! People in the North East are concerned with things like property appreciation and general attractiveness of their city and home. Ever drive through cities like Houston with big ugly billboards, giant fast food signs, and obnoxious inflatable animals within the city? Do you think that looks good?

People in the North East also care more about their communities. Unfortunately that means higher taxes. That is why the schools are generally better. New England consistently has the best public schools in the country. Compare that to the boom states of Arizona and Nevada. Their schools are garbage.

Finally, yes...the winters and the snow can get old. I am the first to agree with that point. But unless you are moving to So-Cal believe me people you are going to have a season to hate. They don't call it Hotlanta for nothing!

Old 06-12-2007, 11:48 PM

7,828 posts, read 12,348,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
It's funny, I've been to MD a couple times and everyone was friendly to me.

Couple things come to mind here...I have never been anywhere that I didn't find the people to be friendly, maybe it's an attitude thing. Also, maybe friendly to one person is not friendly to another? In general I don't have a problem with people. What do you know, I'm from NJ, hmmm?
As in friendly, I mean strangers talking to each other on the train, people letting you change lanes whenever you signal, nobody cutting you off. Neighbors making an effort to welcome new people to the community. People getting up for an old woman on the bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or