U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2007, 11:51 PM

7,828 posts, read 12,348,810 times

Advertisements

I would take a hot summer over a cold winter any day. Even when its 90 degrees and humid in Maryland, I still want to move someplace warmer the minute I think about our winters.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 07:04 AM

51 posts, read 224,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Sure there are some things to complain about the North East. But come on people? First off, some of the most educated, most powerful people in the world live and work in this part of the country. If I ever have children I want them exposed to that! Something you they won't get in Orlando.

Next, yes the North East is generally more expensive than the rest of the country, but you get what you pay for! There is a reason Mississippi is cheap! People in the North East are concerned with things like property appreciation and general attractiveness of their city and home. Ever drive through cities like Houston with big ugly billboards, giant fast food signs, and obnoxious inflatable animals within the city? Do you think that looks good?

People in the North East also care more about their communities. Unfortunately that means higher taxes. That is why the schools are generally better. New England consistently has the best public schools in the country. Compare that to the boom states of Arizona and Nevada. Their schools are garbage.

Finally, yes...the winters and the snow can get old. I am the first to agree with that point. But unless you are moving to So-Cal believe me people you are going to have a season to hate. They don't call it Hotlanta for nothing!
Exactly. That is what I've always thought made the NE stand out....many of the places are SO prim, proper, well kept, etc. Yes, it may be cheaper in Georgia but there are also trailer parks all over the place, bad schools, high crime, just many tacky places. Oh and the HEAT!!!! Yes, there are nice places by all means, but so many areas could use serious work. It's OK here, I guess it's home and I'm used to it. Many of the people don't care what the places looks like though and it's frusturating...

The grass isn't always greener on the other side... Of course the NE isn't perfect, but it has a lot of strong points. Each part of the country has its good and bad points I guess. I just hate seeing people moving here without REALLY looking in to it, regretting it and having to move back. Do your research!!

Old 06-13-2007, 07:14 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,794,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
I would take a hot summer over a cold winter any day. Even when its 90 degrees and humid in Maryland, I still want to move someplace warmer the minute I think about our winters.
you crack me up with the way you describe maryland winters - you'd think it's the north pole for cryin' out loud (i.e. - people don't leave their homes from november through april - exaggerate much?). even people in northern New England aren't holed up for months at a time.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:15 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,875,010 times
Hell even people in the Northern Midwest leave their house in the middle of winter. I've always thought it was funny how people assume just because it is cold that people don't leave there house.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:04 AM

531 posts, read 1,866,326 times
I left New England a few years ago for the NC. I loved my move and think it was a good move for my family and I. Some of the reasons we left were...in no particular order...

Taxes are high. It makes it hard for a young family to get by. When property taxes take such a large portion of your pay, you struggle to get by.

Winters can be tough. We did not enjoy the snow. We did not do the winter sports thing, so for us it was more of a pain than good.

Everyone is in a rush. It is hard to find northerners that would take the time to "smell the roses". We decided the slower pace of the south would be perfect for us. The people of the south are also much more friendly!

We did not have much luck with the local school systems in the north. Let me clarify by saying that there are some excellent schools in the north, but we were not fortunate enough to be in one. We found schools in our new area of the south were better equiped to handle our situation.

There are many beautiful places in the north. We just prefer to visit them and not live there. Some people enjoy the climate and lifestyle up there and that is ok, as long as I can enjoy my climate and lifestyle of the south.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:26 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,882,258 times
I find Boston and NYC to be relatively friendly. Sure some people aren't happy there, but there are many who are.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:11 PM

43 posts, read 200,538 times
I moved from Orange County NY to Atlanta area 2 years ago. If you see a cloud of smoke going up interstate 95, that will be me moving back when my house finally sells down here. I love NY, and can't wait to get back......

Old 06-14-2007, 06:14 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,891,455 times
Well I live in NH its "up north" and I love it here. The town I live in is amazingly clean, the people are friendly often sitting on the grass on main street on warm sunny days mingling and chatting. Its a typical new england town with a big white steeple church at the end of main street and beautiful old new england homes. What more can u ask for. I'll take the cold over hurricanes any day.. I lived in FLA for 23 years and I won't do that ever again

Old 06-14-2007, 09:09 PM

859 posts, read 3,066,950 times
I don't know why people hate living in NJ, I love it!

If you're smack in the middle of suburban NJ you can be at the beach in 30 minutes, Philly in 45 minutes, NYC in one hour, a farm in a half hour, in the woods in 45 minutes...not many states offer you so much atmosphere for so little driving.

We have a lot of ethnic diversity, culture and really good shopping and food!

Wouldn't trade it for the world.

Most people who make fun of NJ a) Have never been here or b) are bitter b/c of the home prices and moved to see if the grass is greener on the other side.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:08 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,794,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissSunshine View Post
I don't know why people hate living in NJ, I love it!

If you're smack in the middle of suburban NJ you can be at the beach in 30 minutes, Philly in 45 minutes, NYC in one hour, a farm in a half hour, in the woods in 45 minutes...not many states offer you so much atmosphere for so little driving.

We have a lot of ethnic diversity, culture and really good shopping and food!

Wouldn't trade it for the world.

Most people who make fun of NJ a) Have never been here or b) are bitter b/c of the home prices and moved to see if the grass is greener on the other side.
and c) never got off the turnpike to explore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or