Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 07:26 AM

51 posts, read 238,916 times

Advertisements

Seems like I encounter so many people that are unhappy living in the North (NJ, NY, CT, MA, PA, OH, etc) and have grown to dislike it, the people, weather, etc. Is there anyone here that actually likes it up there? Is it as horrible as some make it out to be? I have heard some absolute horror stories about them, especially New Jersey. It is the most beautiful part of the country, IMO - the falls are gorgeous! Can someome enlighten me???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 07:30 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,003 times
Well, I just moved up to MA, so not sure if that will count, but I love it here. Beautiful scenery, so many forests, lakes or "ponds" as they seem to call them here. Beautiful quaint towns and the people are no more or less unfriendly than the ones in MD. So I am happy here!

Old 06-08-2007, 07:33 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,420,077 times
I live in Connecticut and I am quite happy. I have no plans on leaving the area. I tested the waters in the west and in the south, but ultimately New England was where I wanted to settle down.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:42 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,086,496 times
I've got loads of family living in new england that are happy and quite a few friends in nyc that are happy as clams.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:01 AM

332 posts, read 1,625,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat2k View Post
Seems like I encounter so many people that are unhappy living in the North (NJ, NY, CT, MA, PA, OH, etc) and have grown to dislike it, the people, weather, etc. Is there anyone here that actually likes it up there?
No, nobody. There is not a single, solitary happy person in any of those states.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:30 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
I moved to NJ in 2004 and haven't looked back! I'm very happy in this region. The landscape is beautful (yes, NJ is beautiful. get off the Turnpike for once), it's fast paced even in rural areas it seems, and I've really come to feel at home here.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:41 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
That region has the most dense population of folks in the country, there has to be some good there or else people wouldnt live there. Sure some are vocal about their unhappiness, those are the ones youre going to hear from the most. The whiners seem to think a warmer state/cheaper cost of living/etc is going to be a cure, then they end up missing the east coast later.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:29 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,680,876 times
It's not that they're bad places to live -- they're actually wonderful states with some great cities/towns and great people mixed in.

I never realized we were so gloomy until I lived and worked in resort Florida in my 20s, though. Then worked on a tourist excursion trip/boat, so we got to mingle and ask where folks were from. It did get to the point that when people wouldn't return greetings/welcomes or smile no matter what, I'd ask "So where in the NE are you from?" without them even having to speak. Sorry to say that my own hometown neighbors (Phila) were among the most gloomy (with NJ & Conn. about tied), but the NYers from the Boroughs were the most fun. Heck, I found myself rooting for the Yankees & the Mets because the fans I encountered were usually great! (They do wear their "loyalty" in abundance when traveling, so are easily identifiable :>)

Kentucky, for some reason, was consistent for sad/hard to please folks who spoke with Southern accents, so it's not just the NE (this was consistent over the course of 14 years being down there.)

But I do I think that's just the way we are, and not so much hating our surroundings, because this applied to folks from towns that were much better off than others, as well. Heck, if you can't cheer up in perennial sunshine and while being entertained, it must be a joy at work!

But it's not your imagination. Anyone on vacation at a neutral resort can spot us a mile away. It's just the general collective attitude, I guess.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:51 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
because some people are not happy unless they are complaining.

i'm happy, i love it here. it's home. NJ is a beautiful state once, like lammius said, you get off the turnpike. whenever i have non-nj friends come to visit they are flabbergasted how beautiful this state is ("i can't believe this is NJ!"). only a small portion is that stereotypical "depressing, rude, industrial, ugly, sopranos" place. sure it has its problems, what place doesn't. it's got the highest median income in the nation (it bobbles back and forth with CT), i think 4 counties in NJ make the top 10 "richest" counties in the nation, 2nd or 3rd most educated population - it can't be all that bad!

i know people in all the other places you mention and they love their home state also. i've traveled enough to know that the grass isn't always greener when it's cheaper.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:57 AM

29 posts, read 103,321 times
I live in Long Island, NY and I like it here but am not entirely happy. Both my husband and I work and you can't ahead here. I would like to buy a bigger house, but can't afford the to, so I am stuck in my little house. I hate that we have the highest property taxes, insurance premiums, and cost of living. It seems that there is so many opportunities down south, I understand why people move there.
But yes the beaches and the city are nice for the once a year I utulize either one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.