U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 10:43 AM

1,524 posts, read 3,517,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
Poor slugs.
Not on purpose, it is #(&(*& gross to step on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 03:00 AM

30 posts, read 23,881 times
Charleston, SC

Old 11-18-2013, 09:52 PM

57 posts, read 82,757 times
The top of Pikes Peak in Colorado doesn't have much in the way of bugs. Unless tourists bug you. Then there are lots of bugs there.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:24 PM

605 posts, read 738,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Anchorage, like much of Alaska has mosquitoes, but the season is relatively short, and beyond those critters, there are few others. (Good question on the location of Anchorage, but it is a Gulf of Alaska coastal city located on Cook Inlet.)

ANchorage doesn't have many mosquitoes. Further you go inland, and face flat terrain where water sits on top of permafrost you'll have lots of mosquitoes.

Old 10-19-2019, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 260 times
I want to know if there are any cities in Arizona that may not have so many bugs, scorpions, etc.. Or do they all pretty much have them?

Old 10-19-2019, 02:39 PM

3,152 posts, read 1,455,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntress1969 View Post
I want to know if there are any cities in Arizona that may not have so many bugs, scorpions, etc.. Or do they all pretty much have them?
Generally the drier the city, the less insect life you will see. There are no places that are entirely devoid of insect life but Arizona has very little insect activity in comparison to the Deep South or even my area which is pretty mild much of the year. I have a friend who moved from Detroit to Phoenix and is freaked out by scorpions; she had the house sealed off and has it sprayed monthly. It has pretty much eliminated her scorpion issue.

I spent some time in Phoenix for company business and did not see a lot of insects. It was summer and outside of the incredible heat/sun, that was one of the other thing that struck me as odd was the lack of bugs all over the place. I didn't see a scorpion while I was there but did see a pretty tarantula while I was sitting outside in the evening. I wanted to take him/her home with me as a pet though I didn't because I wouldn't feel right removing the creature from the wild.

Everyone had told me to watch out for all of the rattlesnakes in Phoenix before I went there but I didn't see any. They apparently live out in the undeveloped desert areas and are not crawling all over the city. I saw a lot more rattlers in Kentucky than anywhere else I lived.

Old 10-23-2019, 05:04 AM

145 posts, read 96,976 times
What is the situation like in Salt Lake City? (concerning especially mosquitos)

Old 10-23-2019, 08:28 AM

1,681 posts, read 1,352,023 times
In Northern cities you can easily go 6 months of the year without seeing a single bug outdoors, except maybe the rare spider or millipede in the basement. This summer the only mosquitoes I encountered here were in a suburban backyard - I did not experience a single sighting or biting in the city.

I do remember camping in the woods near here one summer several years ago and was clobbered with mosquitos, so I know they are around.

I spent time in Portland OR in June, and the only bug I saw was a giant slug. Strangely (to me anyway) I saw almost no birds either.

Old 10-24-2019, 07:16 AM

47,920 posts, read 38,530,323 times
New Orleans.

Just kidding.

Old 10-24-2019, 08:15 AM

813 posts, read 275,807 times
The further up north you got the less frequent. Chicago, Minnesota, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Boston, NYC, Philly, hell even Baltimore or DC you'd be lucky to see bugs outside for a good 3-4 months once winter is in full swing.

That or someplace extremely dry. Vegas, LA, Phoenix, El Paso, Salt Lake City etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.