U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 11:25 PM

1,920 posts, read 1,991,499 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the Victor Valley area of CA since I was four and got into bicycle commuting up here in '05.

I've been well aware of the wind speeds in this area, but dealing with them on an everyday basis is getting old and I just wanted to see if there was an area of the country that had little-to-none of it.

10 mph breezes are okay, but these consistent 30+mph speeds make life more miserable than a damp day in the Pacific NW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 11:28 PM

3,010 posts, read 3,017,826 times
Im in Michigan, and I can say count the entire midwest out. The wind blows non stop here. From the north in winter, and from the southwest in the summer. Lots of wind

Old 04-11-2010, 11:48 PM

Sort of already figured that.
Having been born out there and trucked through there briefly, it's like Jekyll n'Hyde.

What I've come to despise about my given area is the fact that whenever anything below the San Gabriel and San Gorgonio mountains get rained on, all we get is high winds and a 20-30 degree temperature difference.

However, it tends to stick to blowing between noon and simmers down by 9 or 10pm, but not always.
Some of these weather systems are literally on crack and will sustain 20-30+mph for days.

I usually deal with it by planning trips during doldrum hours, or keeping bicycle trips east-to-west as opposed to the typical, southern blowing headwinds.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:00 AM

7,413 posts, read 3,481,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I've lived in the Victor Valley area of CA since I was four and got into bicycle commuting up here in '05.

I've been well aware of the wind speeds in this area, but dealing with them on an everyday basis is getting old and I just wanted to see if there was an area of the country that had little-to-none of it.

10 mph breezes are okay, but these consistent 30+mph speeds make life more miserable than a damp day in the Pacific NW.
The desert can get pretty windy but at least that tends to lessen the effects of the summer heat, right? Just over the mountains in the Inland Empire or LA it doesn't get windy enough so smog forms. Which is worse? too much wind or smog? I think I would chose wind.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
The desert can get pretty windy but at least that tends to lessen the effects of the summer heat, right? Just over the mountains in the Inland Empire or LA it doesn't get windy enough so smog forms. Which is worse? too much wind or smog? I think I would chose wind.
I like the heat, it makes the wind a bit more bearable.The cold coupled with high wind literally drains me
But the Victor Valley seemed abnormally milder than the rest of SoCal last Summer.
85-90 here, 100 near DTLA.

Weird thing about the smog in the LA basin is that doesn't effect me when I go down there to bike ride.
I even seem to breathe easier down there when doing so, compared to the elevation I'm at currently.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:41 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,285,287 times
Chicago

Old 04-12-2010, 10:47 PM

BUMP.

Serious question, tired of high speed sand particles.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:02 AM

6 posts, read 6,310 times
the best place to live is Lake Tahoe.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanya View Post
the best place to live is Lake Tahoe.
The CA side or NV side?
Cold's okay as long as I'm not in for a wind-induced flash-freeze.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:54 PM

11,661 posts, read 9,947,678 times
Weatherunderground.com is a good place to do your research on expected wind speeds, occurrences in any area of the world.

Yes, the winds cools you off in summer in the desert, but it's totally unwelcomed in the winter. Windchill is windchill!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.