U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

South Asian foreigner relocating from Southern California seeking suggestions on where to move, city with IT companies, short commute, 3 bedroom home under 400k, mild climate, possibly Charlotte

Old 06-08-2007, 02:36 PM

20 posts, read 54,653 times

Advertisements

Hello all
I a foreigner in this country (legal alien) from South Asia and am wondering on where to settle down.
I currently live in So.Cal and have absolutely no plans to continue living here although I'd like to.
The home prices here are ridiculuous. Even if I can afford it I dont want to spend that kind of money for a condo that has a 5 X 5 balcony which will be
all the place you can get outside your house. I am in IT and would like to move to identify a place with as many of the following as possible. Any insight is very appreciated.
1. A city with good number of IT companies - like banks, insurance companies etc.
2. I want to be able to drive to work (with max 30 mins drving time). I dont like places where I have to commute by train for 40 mins which means spending 2 hrs a day
travelling and spending less time at home.
3. I am married and dont yet have kids. So a place with good schools is good.
4. A decent house (3 bd) house prics < 400k.
5. I dont like hot places like Texas, Georgia etc. And I dont like very cold places like Boston where half of the year is frozen too.

One place that I think meets most of above criteria is Charlotte in North Calorina. Not sure how the IT job market is there in that area.

Is there a place(s) like this in the US?
Thanks to anyone that wants to contribute.

Don.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 03:24 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,359,561 times
Charlotte and the Raleigh/Durham area both fit most of your qualifications except perhaps weather-wise. It can get pretty brutally hot in North Carolina in the summer. Perhaps not quite AS hot and miserable as Georgia and Texas but pretty close. Climate-wise, if you move to the Eastern U.S., you're pretty much just going to have the cope with at times unpleasantly humid summers as they exist to varying degrees pretty much everywhere in the East.

Raleigh has a high concentration of IT companies and Charlotte is renowned as being a banking and finance mecca. As a warning however, both areas are extremely high-growth meaning that traffic and home prices are increasing quite rapidly, and of course, the areas with the best schools tend to have the priciest homes (places like Cary).

For another added tidbit, the Raleigh area (in particular the areas around Cary/Apex) has a large South Asian (mostly Indian) community as well, many of whom work in the IT industry. There's a growing community in Charlotte as well but not nearly as large as Raleigh.

I was going to suggest Denver as well although I'm not sure if it meets the climate criteria.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:04 PM

Hey thanks for the reply.
I thought Charlotte was a bigger city than Raleigh and so was looking only in Charlotte.

I love snow but only on mountains. Denver I hear is a great place but I also
read that there isnt a lot of economy there for IT majors.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:18 PM

In terms of the city itself, Charlotte is indeed larger than Raleigh. Charlotte has 600K residents compared to Raleigh's 315K (although neighboring Durham has nearly 200K in it's own right). However, in terms of the metropolitan areas, they're about even in population with Charlotte with roughly 1.5 million people and around 1.4 million in the Raleigh-Durham area.

As far as snow, both cities aren't so far South so as to be able to escape snowfall completely, but large snows are rare. Charlotte averages around 6 inches per year and Raleigh around 8 inches. Freak blizzards that dump 12 inches of snow in one day have occurred in the past but are not normal. On an average year, you'll get maybe two or three measurable snowfalls.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:30 PM

Allright..I will knock Charlotte down and up Raleigh.. thanks again..

Any other places on east coast..I am thinking of cincinatti?
Also, how is the area around Baltimore/Bethesda?

Old 06-08-2007, 05:54 PM

There's tons of IT jobs in the DC area, most in the Virginia suburbs (the Dulles Corridor especially) as opposed to the Maryland suburbs like Bethesda (it's more a DC suburb than a Baltimore one and a very ritzy one at that where old split-level homes routinely cost 750K). There's still quite a few in Maryland, but the majority are definitely across the Potomac in Virginia. The main problem however is housing. It's incredibly expensive. Not as bad as California but bad nonetheless. Single family homes in the area start at around 400K, and this is way out in the suburbs, probably 35-40 miles from DC. You COULD find a three bedroom, 2.5 bathroom townhouse in the suburbs for under 400K, but again, it would likely be one of the suburbs further out which might not be a bad thing since many of the IT jobs are concentrated IN these far out suburbs so it would minimize commute time (a BIG issue here).

The other issue would be the weather. Snowfall here is on average around 23 inches a year. Every few years we get a massive blizzard of 12 inches or more, but usually we get figure around eight snowstorms of at least an inch of snow.

Baltimore and it's suburbs are a bit cheaper; actually, significantly cheaper and you could probably find a decent single family home for under 400K, however, jobs in the IT industry aren't as plentiful. Schools are good (especially in Howard County) and the weather is the same as I detailed above.

I don't know much about Cincinnati. I know it's incredibly cheap. You'd have no problem finding housing there. However, I'm uncertain about the schools and the economy and the IT industry there. Weather-wise, it's about on par with DC/Baltimore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.