U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 10:55 PM

653 posts, read 3,133,338 times

Advertisements

My pick would also be Phoenix Arizona. And my pick for Worst Urban Planning (currently) would be Las Vegas Nevada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 11:07 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,161,688 times
If this one counts as a big city, Virginia Beach (pop 440,000). A former county that incorporated into a city back in the 1960s. It's a suburban area outside Norfolk, and even has some rural fringes on one side of town. The 440,000 people in its limits share a land area of over 200 square miles! The city has no official downtown, though a recent "town center" cluster of highrises is becoming the unofficial downtown.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:11 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,283,363 times
For the Midwest, Columbus and Indianapolis are sprawltastic. They have no character compared to Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee, and St Louis.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:31 AM

81 posts, read 296,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
For the Midwest, Columbus and Indianapolis are sprawltastic. They have no character compared to Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee, and St Louis.
Columbus and Indy have no character? Jesus Christ, what an idiot.

Well then, I suppose if a city GAINS, not loses population every Census it has no "character". If it has less than 10,000 burnt out/decayed structures then it has no "character". If it has less than a handful of crackhouses it has no "character". And if it lacks miles and miles of urban prairie like your beloved Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee, and St. Louis then it has no "character", right?

For as much sprawl that Indy and Columbus has, their central cities are still typical for mid-sized Northern cities. I defy you to prove otherwise. Oh, that's right: you can't.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:17 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,907,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
It does not feel like a large city because the population density of the KC metro is very spread out. The population growth in the city of Kansas City, Missouri has been stagnant as the suburban sprawl has developed in all directions outside of the city limits. An example would be Overland Park and Olathe on the Kansas side of the KC metro has 1.5 times as many people compared with Kansas City, KS which is located in the urban core. KC put the international airport out in the middle of nowhere in the 1970s and now the suburban sprawl has caught up with the airport as the city continues to annex more land to the city limits. The area north of Kansas City, MO is known as the "northland." The county with the strongest economy in the KC metro is Johnson County Kansas. This county had very strong economic growth in the 1990s with a little slower growth in the 21st century. However, it is one of the wealthiest counties in the country with an average median income approaching $70,000 as of 2004 in a county with over 510,000 people. The total population for the metro is over 1.5 million which is slightly smaller than the St. Louis metro.

Slightly smaller? ROFL!!! That's no comparison to the STL metro. The STL metro is 2.8 million people, nearly twice as much as KC's metro population.

Last edited by ajf131; 06-09-2007 at 03:28 AM..

Old 06-09-2007, 08:59 AM

20,852 posts, read 35,964,992 times
Post Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Slightly smaller? ROFL!!! That's no comparison to the STL metro. The STL metro is 2.8 million people, nearly twice as much as KC's metro population.
The KC metro has even more of a sprawl problem because the city consumes greater amounts of land (hundreds of square miles) even though the size of the metro is smaller overall than St. Louis.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:26 AM

2,703 posts, read 2,607,878 times
Phoenix wins. They barely have a downtown (if one at all).

Old 06-09-2007, 10:35 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,283,363 times
I would presume that Kansas City and Omaha would outrank Columbus and Indianapolis. Did anyone mention Minneapolis yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefaultAlias View Post
Columbus and Indy have no character? Jesus Christ, what an idiot.

Well then, I suppose if a city GAINS, not loses population every Census it has no "character". If it has less than 10,000 burnt out/decayed structures then it has no "character". If it has less than a handful of crackhouses it has no "character". And if it lacks miles and miles of urban prairie like your beloved Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee, and St. Louis then it has no "character", right?

For as much sprawl that Indy and Columbus has, their central cities are still typical for mid-sized Northern cities. I defy you to prove otherwise. Oh, that's right: you can't.
You've got the unemployed, crack houses, and population loss. You forgot 'corrupt police forces' and 'high taxes.' Think harder next time!

Chicago's got it all, a real city with endless suburbs. It's got something for everyone, unless you dislike BOTH Hillary Clinton AND Dennis Hastert.

Swearing at your fellow man is very ungodlike!

Old 06-09-2007, 11:05 AM

81 posts, read 296,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
I would presume that Kansas City and Omaha would outrank Columbus and Indianapolis. Did anyone mention Minneapolis yet?

You've got the unemployed, crack houses, and population loss. You forgot 'corrupt police forces' and 'high taxes.' Think harder next time!

Chicago's got it all, a real city with endless suburbs. It's got something for everyone, unless you dislike BOTH Hillary Clinton AND Dennis Hastert.

Swearing at your fellow man is very ungodlike!
Well, maybe if you didn't run off at the mouth with inaccurate statements.

Come on man. I'm from Chicago's south side and I've lived in Indy as well. The only thing that makes Chicago a "real" city is the fact that it's much bigger. Other than the scale I really don't see much of a difference. You've never been to Indy or Columbus, have you?

I suppose you make Chicago out to be an urban paradise. And maybe it is one: one that Angelenos and New Yorkers would laugh at.

You haven't been around the block yet so I'll excuse your completely ignorant statements. It's one thing to have an opinion of a city but it's certainly another to base it off of inaccurate or illogical reasoning. Grow up.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:02 PM

7,824 posts, read 12,333,377 times
Las Vegas
Orlando
Boise, Idaho
Salt Lake City
Norfolk-Virginia Beach-Hampton Roads
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or