U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-09-2007, 01:52 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,742 posts, read 6,908,197 times
Reputation: 660

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
The KC metro has even more of a sprawl problem because the city consumes greater amounts of land (hundreds of square miles) even though the size of the metro is smaller overall than St. Louis.
Point taken. Land area-wise yes I would agree KC is rather large and quite comparable to St. Louis. The difference between these two I'd say is that KC is rather very spread out from north to south, whereas St. Louis is very spread out east to west. (This is including both the Kansas and Missouri sides for Kansas City and the Missouri and Illinois sides for St. Louis)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-09-2007, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Thumb of Michigan
4,489 posts, read 6,788,162 times
Reputation: 2533
Phoenix.

You really can't tell where the city limit ends and the suburbs start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2007, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Southern California
30,336 posts, read 16,831,951 times
Reputation: 53459
Default Sacramento

I would have to say Sacramento. Not very much of a downtown area, and it sprawls in every direction, most notably going east from the State Capitol area and Old Town.



Here's a picture of one side of downtown (from Wikipedia).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b3/Sacramento1-big.JPG/250px-Sacramento1-big.JPG (broken link)

A view of the State Capitol building (from Wikipedia).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2007, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Midwest
1,903 posts, read 7,283,783 times
Reputation: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
I would have to say Sacramento. Not very much of a downtown area, and it sprawls in every direction, most notably going east from the State Capitol area and Old Town.



Here's a picture of one side of downtown (from Wikipedia).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b3/Sacramento1-big.JPG/250px-Sacramento1-big.JPG (broken link)

A view of the State Capitol building (from Wikipedia).
Sacramento looks good in those photos. It feels like a dry desert on the freeway. I heard that the old town is very respectable; everything else is just sprawl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2007, 08:08 PM
 
5,859 posts, read 14,055,227 times
Reputation: 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Kansas City is extremely suburban. In fact, the city sprawls so much that it consumes hundreds of square miles of land. The KC metro stretches on both sides of the state line and the suburban sprawl is crazy for a city of its size.
Last time I was there (many years ago, admittedly), KC had a large downtown with a traditional "city" feel to it, sprawl notwithstanding,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2007, 09:19 PM
 
Location: BOULDER, COLORADO
48 posts, read 282,110 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefaultAlias View Post
Well, maybe if you didn't run off at the mouth with inaccurate statements.

Come on man. I'm from Chicago's south side and I've lived in Indy as well. The only thing that makes Chicago a "real" city is the fact that it's much bigger. Other than the scale I really don't see much of a difference. You've never been to Indy or Columbus, have you?

I suppose you make Chicago out to be an urban paradise. And maybe it is one: one that Angelenos and New Yorkers would laugh at.

You haven't been around the block yet so I'll excuse your completely ignorant statements. It's one thing to have an opinion of a city but it's certainly another to base it off of inaccurate or illogical reasoning. Grow up.
LOL!! I have family in Chicago which we visit almost every year. I swear, there was an entire suburban town that the houses all looked the same. I know that we all seem to have our own ideas on the term McMansion, but this was almost staggering. It was like the builders got bored or just lack overall creativity. Just driving in felt like we were on the set for the Twilight Zone. I think the only thing that was different about each house was which side the HUGE garage went on, nasty plasitic color of the siding, and what the style of the fake, unusable window shutters were. That was it!! I have a picture that I will have to post somtime. This crew must have done work for several high priced areas because this was a trend throughout the area. But to top it all off, these places were listed as luxury lots. I think I have seen more diversity in a cornfield than I saw in that suburb.

By the way. Indy is a great town. Too midwest for my liking, but seemed clean, and have always enjoyed my time there. I get nervous anytime I can't see that moutains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2007, 09:24 PM
 
Location: northern big wonderfull (Wyoming)
150 posts, read 480,933 times
Reputation: 53
Reno (bigest little city)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2007, 09:29 PM
 
Location: Midwest
1,903 posts, read 7,283,783 times
Reputation: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldercol View Post
LOL!! I have family in Chicago which we visit almost every year. I swear, there was an entire suburban town that the houses all looked the same. I know that we all seem to have our own ideas on the term McMansion, but this was almost staggering. It was like the builders got bored or just lack overall creativity. Just driving in felt like we were on the set for the Twilight Zone. I think the only thing that was different about each house was which side the HUGE garage went on, nasty plasitic color of the siding, and what the style of the fake, unusable window shutters were. That was it!! I have a picture that I will have to post somtime. This crew must have done work for several high priced areas because this was a trend throughout the area. But to top it all off, these places were listed as luxury lots. I think I have seen more diversity in a cornfield than I saw in that suburb.
American Dream for everybody! Only x dollars per month! Live just like your neighbor.
"Hi, I'm So and So. I have a great cookie cutter house and a great cookie cutter family. Like my car? It's another boring yet tacky SUV. I even belong to the local golf club, just like everyone else. How do I do it?! I'm debt up to my eyeballz!"

Quote:
By the way. Indy is a great town. Too midwest for my liking, but seemed clean, and have always enjoyed my time there. I get nervous anytime I can't see that moutains.
Mid-Illinois chiming in here ... no HILLS for miles around. Uh yea, no mountains either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2007, 07:04 AM
 
Location: Arlington, VA and Washington, DC
23,650 posts, read 33,451,681 times
Reputation: 32369
Virginia Beach. you'd never know the population was 400k if u drove through it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2007, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Nashville
81 posts, read 296,990 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldercol View Post
LOL!! I have family in Chicago which we visit almost every year. I swear, there was an entire suburban town that the houses all looked the same. I know that we all seem to have our own ideas on the term McMansion, but this was almost staggering. It was like the builders got bored or just lack overall creativity. Just driving in felt like we were on the set for the Twilight Zone. I think the only thing that was different about each house was which side the HUGE garage went on, nasty plasitic color of the siding, and what the style of the fake, unusable window shutters were. That was it!! I have a picture that I will have to post somtime. This crew must have done work for several high priced areas because this was a trend throughout the area. But to top it all off, these places were listed as luxury lots. I think I have seen more diversity in a cornfield than I saw in that suburb.

By the way. Indy is a great town. Too midwest for my liking, but seemed clean, and have always enjoyed my time there. I get nervous anytime I can't see that moutains.
Luxury lots? Lol.

Yessir, Indy definitely gets a bad rap around here. And for the most ignorant reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top