U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Washington DC: Southern, Northern, or No Man's Land?
Northern City with Southern Overtones 13 33.33%
Southern city with Northern Overtones 4 10.26%
A hybrid of both 13 33.33%
No Man's Land- its neither duck nor pond. 9 23.08%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 02:42 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,324,812 times

Advertisements

I've never seen a map that says va is NE - MD is sometimes considered southern and sometimes northern. But looking at a map, MD looks Northern, not southern. VA looks like the middle, and North Carolina is without a doubt southern, and not midatlantic at all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 03:06 PM

791 posts, read 2,017,306 times
Before the ball park, aside from hospitable, it wasn't so 'southern' down around N 1/2 St's, SE

? Quorum Senator ?

Old 08-30-2007, 03:20 PM

217 posts, read 813,848 times
Washington, DC is referenced as a southern city when it comes to crime, education, and poverty stats, but a northern city when it's referenced to more favorable things, like culture and wealth.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:19 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,954,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys View Post
Before the ball park, aside from hospitable, it wasn't so 'southern' down around N 1/2 St's, SE

? Quorum Senator ?
Ummm.... huh?

Old 08-30-2007, 09:19 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,124,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_r2z0 View Post
I've never seen a map that says va is NE - MD is sometimes considered southern and sometimes northern. But looking at a map, MD looks Northern, not southern. VA looks like the middle, and North Carolina is without a doubt southern, and not midatlantic at all
Well, I have. Ive seen maps that include Virginia with the Northeast when they split up regions. They don't do it often.

At Barnes and Noble they group VA in as "Mid-Atlantic" when it comes to travel

And yes, I have seen North Carolina lumped with with Mid-Atlantic as well........

Sometimes they do it this way:

Mid-Atlantic: MD, WV, DE, VA, DC, AND NC

or this way:

Mid-Atlantic: NY, PA, NJ, MD, WV, DE, AND VA

Lumping VA with NJ and NY is just pure blasphemy in my book. Our climate is not Mid-Alantic, nor is our culture or anything else. We have a humid subtropical climate in most all of the state (outside the mountains)

However,at Books-A-Million, Virginia is the South region in the travel section (as it should be). Maryland and Deleware are occasionally included as the South region.

So i guess people don't know what to do with Virginia, Maryland, and West Virginia.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:44 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,954,392 times
I have said this before but will say it again. My son just learned regions in school last week. He brought home the worksheet. First of all, there was No Mid-atlantic region at all. It was NE,PNW, S, Midwest, SW and I think that was it. That being said...... all the census bureau south was taught with the exception of Missouri which includes DC.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:27 AM

2,248 posts, read 6,207,553 times
I always considered DC to be Southern. Not fully southern like say Jackson MS or Memphis but the Southern influences seem to outweigh the Northern influences in terms of culture

Old 08-31-2007, 01:43 PM

^ no, no imo

do you live in the Bal/Wash region?

Old 08-31-2007, 02:56 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,124,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_r2z0 View Post
^ no, no imo

do you live in the Bal/Wash region?
I grew up in Northern Virginia so I can speak from experience.

I was born in 1979 so it was a little different then. It seems like NOVA was still trying to hold on to its Old South roots, while Maryland was turning yankee.

Going across the rivah to DC was like crossing the Mason Dixon line

In Loudoun my teachers were all Southern.etc The "Civil War" was still a very sensitive topic, and country music was very big. I don't know what NOVA is like now since I haven't lived there in 10 years.

Many of the original settlers and farmers were still in the region.

We even had some camp meetings up in Purcellville and large church suppers. People didn't have northern accents. Southern Gospel Musicians and Bluegrass was big. They would have Bluegrass shows in Leesburg and Warrenton.

But growing up I always considered myself a Southerner (not to mention my family was from Richmond and points South), and I never thought I was living in a Northeast or "Mid-Atlantic" area

I guess people would argue that Northern Virginia is no longer the South. I really don't care. I am a Southerner.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:10 PM

it probly seemed that way back them, but NOVA is completely changed.
And DC is more northern than it used to be too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or