U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Washington DC: Southern, Northern, or No Man's Land?
Northern City with Southern Overtones 13 33.33%
Southern city with Northern Overtones 4 10.26%
A hybrid of both 13 33.33%
No Man's Land- its neither duck nor pond. 9 23.08%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 09:01 AM

4,953 posts, read 8,546,599 times

Advertisements

Here we go again!

DC has more characteristics of cities in the NE corridor than the south.

Rowhomes for miles
Great Mass Transit
Walkable
Large CBD
Diversity
Density (9,000 people per square mile on par with Philly, Baltimore, Boston)

GetatMD,

Are you getting paid for these post? Have you ever been to Cleveland, Chicago or Detroit - You can hear southern accents from black people there to. News flash: All black people are originally from the south. Even if they don't want to acknowledge it. Black people from Philly, DC, Baltimore and NYC are originally from NC, SC, and VA. My mother grew up in Brooklyn but her mother has a southern accent becuase they are from the Carolinas. Black people from Chicago and Detroit and originally from Arkansas, Mississippi,....etc. This was covered in high school history - The migration patterns of blacks in the mid 1900's. DC's accent is a midatlantic accent not southern. You would never mistake someone from DC with someone from NC, SC, or even VA.

DC & Baltimore Midatlantic Accent: Murland for Maryland; Farva for Father;
Brova for Brother; Erk for Eric; Earn for Aaron; Curry for Carry. They don't speak like this in VA, NC, SC, GA.

DC Accent: Get-in for Getting;
Baltimore Accent: Tew for Too, Avenew for Avenue.

Philly's Accent has some hints of the Mid Atlantic accent with some NY/NJ traits.

As for climate, that's one of the dumbest criteria to distinguish if a city is northern or southern, especially with the crazy weather we have been having. When it's 90 in Philly, its 92 in Baltimore and 93 in DC. The difference in temperature between the cities in the NE corridor are less than 4 degrees each way.

Your knucklehead statement that DC is very slow and laid back is ridiculous at best. DC probably has more nightclubs than any other city on the East Coast except NY. Clubs in DC don't close at 2:00 am like most cities. Have you ever been to U Street? Adams Morgan? Mt. Pleasant? Columbia Heights? Chinatown? I won't mention Georgetown because its too easy.

Last edited by DC's Finest; 03-17-2008 at 09:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 12:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,903 times
Default i think is is quite simple

As a transplant from Northern NJ now living in DC for several years, I can tell you all that there are considerable differences between DC and the Northeast, and, whatever seemingly similar aspects DC and the NE may have to those raised in the deep South, those similarities don't amount to much in terms that really matter.

I honestly view it as such:

DC = Southern northern tip

NJ/NY = Pure northern

DE/MD = Mix: DE is 75% N, 25%S; MD is 25%N, 75%S

To me it all boils down to culture. Really, I think that things like popluation denisty, traffic, etc. don't matter, because many Southern cities have the same things: massive growth due in part to northerners in Nashville; crazy traffic in Atlanta; and major industry in the LA/TX oil belt. What makes it all Southern is culture and how people interact:

- When I'm trying to merge in traffic: down in DC it's mostly no problem. in NJ/NY you're lucky if you don't get run off the road and cursed at

- In NY you get shoved and pushed in crowds and nobody says "excuse me" or "sorry" In DC i and most others say that constantly as a matter of good manners

- There is a more down to earth feel here -- we, unlike NY/NJ, don't think the universe revolves around where we live

- People are more likely to say hi to strangers and be laid back down here. up there if you nod "hi" to someone you don't know you get dirty looks

- It may be expensive to live here, but up there it's 2x worse and you get what for it?

- Let's face it, we don't have all the mob and mob-wanna be's down here

- We have the whole civil war history

- The first time I ever had grits was down in DC

- NJ is the most heavily-taxed state, for example, and yet Gov. Corzine just announced that the state is in financial crisis. With 8 million citizens being taxed more than anyone else in the country, where does it all go, Mr. Corzine????

I could go on and on but I think I made my point.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:48 AM

4,953 posts, read 8,546,599 times
cutau1,

Your post is way off base. First of all what other southern cities have a population density of more than 9,000 ppsm? Answer: None! Extensive Public Transportation? Don't say Atlanta. I'm not knocking the Marta but DC's Redline has more riders than all of Marta and all of Houston and Dallas Systems combined! Large Central Business District? DC has more office space than every city except NYC and Chicago. Miles of Rowhomes? DC, Bmore, Philly and Boston. World Class Museums? NYC, DC, Philly. Cosmopolitan Feel? Walkability? No southern city even measures. Three Airports? My point being is that DC is online with cities like Bmore, Philly, NYC and Boston with its characteristics. I agree that people do make the place but the culture of DC is fast paced and energetic. It's transient nature defies the southern culture you speak about. DC is a mix of everything.

As for traffic, anytime you are voted one of the worst places in the country to drive, the temperment will go down. Road rage is a huge problem here. There are no nice drivers in DC. And have you ever been on the DC metro? Stand on the left side of the escalator and see what happens. You will get cut down. There is a big resentment of tourist in the summer who block doors and ask STUPID questions on the metro. There are no southern manners in DC. Try walking down the street and speaking to someone in DC and see what happens. They will blow you off or look at you like you are crazy. That doesn't happen down south.

I'm not saying DC is NYC but it's definitely not southern. BTW - Black people eat grits all over the world. My grandma in BK used to make them every Sunday. Plus they sell them in soul food (Sylvia's in Harlem) restaurants in every city in the country. The whole grits and sweet tea debate is ridiculous.

And what's with all these Jersey people associating their state with NYC. Jersey is a big suburb with bad manners. People in the city laugh at Jersey! Stop trying to make it this utopia when its not. I know - I am from Brooklyn!

Last edited by DC's Finest; 06-23-2008 at 10:11 AM..

Old 06-23-2008, 11:36 AM

Location: San Francisco/East Bay and Los Angeles, formerly DC and Boston
2,146 posts, read 3,435,706 times
I've lived in the DC area for over a decade, and came down from New England.

Like the North :

-Many urban neighborhoods with extensive rail transit, denser than any city in the south outside of Florida

-people don't say y'all

-snows in winter

-In Richmond, while just two hours to the south, they get less snow, they say y'all, and are as densely populated as most southern cities

Like the South :

-no white Catholic enclaves, don't have large Italian/Irish presence like most Northern Cities

-municipalities don't know how to plow snow when it comes, can go an entire winter and never have to shovel your driveway (like this past one)

-nearly half the metro population lives in the Confederacy, whose legacy lives on in right-to-work labor laws, pro-business state government, etc

-In Philly, just two hours to the North, they get more snow, they say "youse", and sell out hockey games even when the team is terrible

Old 06-23-2008, 11:40 AM

4,382 posts, read 15,329,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutau1 View Post
MD is 25%N, 75%S
Ahahaha now that's a laugh. haha nice joke there

Old 07-29-2008, 07:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,820 times
I appreciate that comment in which the accent of dc was broken down. kudos to you, because there have been some people from further up north that say that dc is southern. grant it is more to the south if u r coming from say new hampshire, NY etc. However, we washingtonians (non of us ) consider ourselves southern. not to say something is wrong with the south, i think that like the north it has its good and its bad, but has anyone ever heard of a place where (non!) of the people say they are not southern and they are. Don't you normally have at least one person from that place say it, at least one?. Well I don't know of any who was born and raised here say they are southern. I have had some haters from up further north try to call us southern, but they weren't coming from a good place, they were trying to be funny, and they were not. I apperciate some of the comments on here, because i see that people are stating some facts rather then just speaking out their behinds.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:19 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,222,470 times
i always saw DC as a northen city (well at least 80%), but considered everything directly south of it, the south.

however, nowadays when i head down to Fairfax, VA to visit friends (who moved there from NYC). i see a sprawling suburb. no different from Jersey imo.........well a lot newer and cleaner version

Old 08-01-2008, 08:59 AM

578 posts, read 1,878,236 times
DC and BAL are mid atlantic cities.

They might be more economically tied to northern cities...but they do not have that northern mentality.
The surrounding area is southern.

I would say it is Mid Atlantic, not north or south.

As someone from the north...DO NOT INSULT the north by calling DC/BAL northern cities!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-01-2008, 09:11 AM

110 posts, read 349,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecountry View Post
DC and BAL are mid atlantic cities.

They might be more economically tied to northern cities...but they do not have that northern mentality.
The surrounding area is southern.

I would say it is Mid Atlantic, not north or south.

As someone from the north...DO NOT INSULT the north by calling DC/BAL northern cities!!!!!!!!!!
The South is the New North. DC/B-more trapped in the middle.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:36 PM

2,449 posts, read 4,815,907 times
No no no , the north is the new west, but the midwest in the old middle-east. The far east is even farther east, except when its not.
Hope that clears it up for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or