U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Washington DC: Southern, Northern, or No Man's Land?
Northern City with Southern Overtones 13 33.33%
Southern city with Northern Overtones 4 10.26%
A hybrid of both 13 33.33%
No Man's Land- its neither duck nor pond. 9 23.08%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 01:03 PM

492 posts, read 862,711 times

Advertisements

huh? AA as in black people... blacks.... Lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 01:15 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,655,321 times
dc has a ton of african americans as in africans that have immigrated to america.
we're not talking about the black ppl in the u.s. that are here as a result of slavery. its two different things. dc is full of east africans.

african americans being southern culturally is not accurate when you talk about dc. you have a large number that have no ties to the south whatsoever because they have never stepped foot in the south. you're not thinking about east and west african immigrants.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:31 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,323,692 times
So the only Black people that have originated in the US (were born here), are the ones who had slave ancestors in the US? False.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:11 PM

4,953 posts, read 8,539,933 times
All AA's have southern influences of some sort. Just venture to the southside of Chicago or Oakland and you will see what I mean. This culture doesn't escape DC or Philly either.

Cterp! AA's in DC have a very distinctive accent. Listen to Martin Lawrence or Taraji P. Henson in Smoking Aces. They have a typical Mid Atlantic accent with DC influences. Iverson & Vick also have a Mid Atlantic accent with Tidewater influences. So does Carmelo Anthony. Each city has their own play on certain words. In Baltimore, you will hear the stretching of certain vowels. Avenue becomes aveneew! Too become Tew. Que becomes Quew!

In DC, Baltimore & Philly, you will hear brova for brother. DC plays on the letter R. Errbody for everybody; Ern for Aaron. Murland for Maryland.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
dc has a ton of african americans as in africans that have immigrated to america.
we're not talking about the black ppl in the u.s. that are here as a result of slavery. its two different things. dc is full of east africans.

african americans being southern culturally is not accurate when you talk about dc. you have a large number that have no ties to the south whatsoever because they have never stepped foot in the south. you're not thinking about east and west african immigrants.

When you think of DC aka chocolate city, you dont think of actual african immigrants though. You think of black people and the DC culture. <Dreads, New Balances, Air Jordans, Nike Boots, Go-Go music, Beatin your feet, North faces, Howard University (HBCU), etc.>

Old 02-24-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
All AA's have southern influences of some sort. Just venture to the southside of Chicago or Oakland and you will see what I mean. This culture doesn't escape DC or Philly either.

Cterp! AA's in DC have a very distinctive accent. Listen to Martin Lawrence or Taraji P. Henson in Smoking Aces. They have a typical Mid Atlantic accent with DC influences. Iverson & Vick also have a Mid Atlantic accent with Tidewater influences. So does Carmelo Anthony. Each city has their own play on certain words. In Baltimore, you will hear the stretching of certain vowels. Avenue becomes aveneew! Too become Tew. Que becomes Quew!

In DC, Baltimore & Philly, you will hear brova for brother. DC plays on the letter R. Errbody for everybody; Ern for Aaron. Murland for Maryland.
@ DC's Finest

Do you consider Tidewater/757 Where Iverson, Vick, Pharrell, Missy, Timberland, etc. are from to be southern or mid atlantic?

Old 02-24-2010, 03:33 PM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
So the only Black people that have originated in the US (were born here), are the ones who had slave ancestors in the US? False.
don't put words in my mouth. that is not what i said. go back and read what i said.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:35 PM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
i don't think a lot of black nyers would agree tho...at least as far as speech. the areas you named have ppl that are black that sound southern to me (a lot of black californians, ppl from chicago, etc. sound southern to me) but black ppl here do not sound southern.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:27 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,436,335 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i don't think a lot of black nyers would agree tho...at least as far as speech. the areas you named have ppl that are black that sound southern to me (a lot of black californians, ppl from chicago, etc. sound southern to me) but black ppl here do not sound southern.
thats bc alot of NY's take pride in the fact that they arent southern and not country .....theres 1 that works at my job in bmore and all the time states how he's in the dirty south and im not from bmore but pg county and this isnt anything close to the dirty south....maybe 95 south of NY but not the south....thats ignorance to me....

@VA7cities im not D.C's finest but yall are on the more southern tip but not all the way.....ppl from D.C seem to sound more southern than timberland missy and pharrell and the clipse but not compared to ppl from Richmond...I have family from GA so it aint southern compared to how they sound down there

Old 02-24-2010, 05:28 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
"Believe me, cats in the BK f&ck with Gucci Mane. You can get a Gucci Mane mixtape on Atlantic Ave, Smith Street or anywhere in DT BK. Do you think music just suddenly stops at the Hudson River?"

That wasn't my point nor my question. Yes, people up North like down south music. But the 8 o'clock hour on Power 99 is going to sound much different from the 8 o'clock hour on WPGC. We'll listen to Gucci Mane, but cats up North really vibe more off the Lox, Ruff Ryders, Jay, etc. You may think that's subjective, but it's a big difference between NY and Phila and then DC.

"Philly may be in a down economy and the cost of living is cheap but its still more expensive to live in Philly than Atlanta or Houston."

No it's not. And to say that Philly is in a down economy is an understatement.

"What you also fail to realize is that DC's ethnic group are AA's. So, I tend to laugh at people when they say that DC doesn't have any culture."

I realize this. In fact, I made this very point in another thread. But the question is not whether DC has a culture of its own. New Orleans has a very distinct culture of its own, but it's still a southern city. The relevant question is whether Washington, DC possesses a northern culture or a southern one. IMO, it has many features of a northern city, but culturally, it has little in common with northern cities.

I laid out very objective standards in my first post of what makes a city northern: heavy industry and unionization, machine politics (a product of unionization and industrialization), Catholicism, heavy Eastern european immigration, etc. Yes, Washington has Catholic churches, but so do Charleston, Savannah, Atlanta, and New Orleans. I'm willing to bet that most of the Catholic population in the region lives in Baltimore and the surrounding areas. That is not Washington, DC.

Washington, DC, honestly, has more in common with Atlanta than it does with Philadelphia. This comes from someone who has lived in all three cities. Both cities are majority black and have affluent black suburbs. Neither city has had a non-African American mayor in the past four decades. Both cities have largely service-based economies, and both lacked any real heavy industry during their existence. The whites in these cities, and the suburbs, are also largely middle class and protestant. Then you have a large influx of recent immigration from South America and Southeast Asia. Yes, Atlanta is pretty diverse. It has a boatload of West Indians and African immigrants. When I was living there, they called the suburb of Chamblee "Chambodia" due to the large Cambodian population that was living there at the time. Atlanta also has a very large and open homosexual population (and Jewish population too), and like DC, the city votes Democratic in every single election. And Atlanta, like DC, has only had a train system since the 1970s.

None of those things make Atlanta or DC northern. By any objective criteria, I don't think you could call DC a northern town, though many parts of the city look kinda northern. It's just the way it feels. Maybe it's because you don't have to pay any tolls to get there. All I know is that when I'm in Baltimore, I feel a bit more at home than I do in DC. It's really a cultural thing, and you can't base it off of income, public transportation and things like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or