U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Washington DC: Southern, Northern, or No Man's Land?
Northern City with Southern Overtones 13 33.33%
Southern city with Northern Overtones 4 10.26%
A hybrid of both 13 33.33%
No Man's Land- its neither duck nor pond. 9 23.08%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 05:09 PM

3,261 posts, read 7,810,354 times

Advertisements

In the 1800s DC was considered the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 08:30 PM

30 posts, read 49,614 times
D.C. is the true dividing line between North and South. It right in the middle but does not belong to either side. D.C. is a very unique city.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:43 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,975 posts, read 3,456,237 times
For the last time DC is not a part of the South... XO - Blah Blah on Vimeo

Old 03-09-2010, 10:33 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,326,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
For the last time DC is not a part of the South... XO - Blah Blah on Vimeo
Yeah, that video really settles it.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:56 AM

1,345 posts, read 3,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
I know some people find it hard to believe that things can change, but a lot of things have since the 1800s.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:09 AM

457 posts, read 941,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
I know some people find it hard to believe that things can change, but a lot of things have since the 1800s.
Yeah, definitions can change overtime. In the early-1800s, Buffalo, NY was considered western.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:50 PM

3,547 posts, read 7,586,086 times
No way, no how could DC today be considered a southern city. It's mid-Atlantic/eastern seaboard through and through.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:53 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,276,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Yeah, maybe the early 1800's. But what year is it now?

Old 03-11-2010, 11:17 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,276,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
1. I'd actually say that DC is less Southern than southern Virginia; I wouldn't say that it's more Northern. NW DC reminds me of San Francisco in many ways. What do you think?

2. Catholic is not just a reference to blue-collar whites, but blue-collar whites who retain a strong ethnic identity. That's a big thing in all northern cities, right? I'm not sure if DC ever had this. I'm sure DC's Finest or someone else will let me know if I'm wrong. I've just never heard anyone in this area say "Don't push me, I'm a Bethesda Italian!"

3. I agree that density has an effect on lifestyle, but I'm not so sure about culture. How does that change the actual culture of a city?

4. Didn't know B-more had a sub. Apparently, it's only one line. But a sub nonetheless.

5. You were comparing the District of Columbia to Atlanta, no? My point was that it was not an apples-to-apples comparison. You were really comparing D.C. proper to Fulton County, which is much larger (and conservative) than the city of Atlanta. The CNN map has stats for Fulton County, but not the city of Atlanta. The only fair comparison is Atlanta proper to the District of Columbia.

6. Why can't you prove how liberal a city is based on the size and presence of the gay population? There has to be a reason why gay people move there, no? I don't think same-sex laws are a good indicator of anything. If NYC could secede from New York State, I'm sure same-sex marriage would be legal there too.

7. Detroit is the most liberal city in America, really? More liberal than Cambridge, Berkley, Austin, Portland, New York City, and God forbid, San Francisco?!? No wonder why Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh and his army of conservative listeners have been calling for the downfall of the American auto industry.

The site you linked to actually says that the most liberal cities, coincidentally, have large African American populations. Detroit happens to be 90% African American. Hmm?

But yes, I would agree that Philly is more liberal than, say, Birmingham.
1. NW DC=San Fran=Boston imho

2. Yeah, DC doesn't have as much of the blue collar, Catholic, strong-ethnic identity type of residents that many other Northeastern cities have, but this is mainly because of its unique history. DC, unlike Baltimore, never fully industrialized, so it didn't receive the masses of European immigrants (mostly Catholic) that other NE cities did. However, Catholic is still Catholic, and the city still shares a Catholic history with the rest of the Northeast predating the European immigration during the 2nd Industrial Revolution.

Map of Religion (states where catholocism is the largest religion in blue):

3. lifestyle is probably the most important component of culture. Density affects the relationships with neighbors and friends, where you work and how you get there, recreational activities, cost of living etc. That's why city culture, no matter where in the country, is very different from rural culture, and even suburban culture.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier is that DC is part of the densely populated Northeast Corridor--a nearly contious string of densely populated areas in the Northeast, from DC to Boston (NoVa to Manchester, NH). This is an undeniable fact:

5. Yeah, and I'm sure if I could find the data for Atlanta itself, Democrats would still make up a smaller percentage of the pop than in DC.

2000 Presidential Election:

2004 Presidential Election:

2008 Presidential Election:

6. I see what your saying. DC only legalized it because it was a city, but I don't think that's entirely true. New York already recognizes same-sex marriages performed in other states. So does Maryland, and every other NE state (except PA and DE) has some kind of law friendly to same-sex couples. Checkt out this map (to simplify all pink means "bad," and all red means "really bad" if you're gay):

7. I understand about the black populations, but isn't Atlanta 55% black?

Old 11-03-2010, 08:11 AM

4 posts, read 9,082 times
DC is a southern city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or