U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Washington DC: Southern, Northern, or No Man's Land?
Northern City with Southern Overtones 13 33.33%
Southern city with Northern Overtones 4 10.26%
A hybrid of both 13 33.33%
No Man's Land- its neither duck nor pond. 9 23.08%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 12:05 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,904,816 times

Advertisements

I guess I have to be reasonable. Since this is the nation's capital we're talking about and it was settled by Southerners below where the mason-dixon line once applied, but also since it today behaves more like a northeastern city than a southern one, I think it just makes sense to call it a compromised hybrid-type city. After all, it is the capital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 12:10 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,904,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
I said that Virginia is mid-Atlantic. Just like Texas is South Central. Only difference is that I feel that Texas is a transitional state. To me, North Carolina is the transitional state in a way. It has its southern qualities, but it's just not deep down, to the gut southern.

Still, what's annoying me is how Vasinger has the nerve to claim that Texas is not the South as if it's officially set in stone that Virginia is a southern state, when many people consider it to mid-Atlantic and northern. I don't know what world he is living in.
I dunno. Maybe I could call Virginia mid-Atlantic. As to Northern, no way. It's economy historically depended on slavery, it's climate is too warm, it's far too Southern in culture and its history. i might classify it as a border state given the fact that it essentially spawned other Northern states and also that it's centrally located latitude-wise, but certainly not a Northern state. I would without question put Virginia in with North Carolina and Kentucky before I'd ever consider grouping it in with Pennsylvania, Maryland, or Delaware. Texas and Virginia honestly are both kind of transitional states, as are Kentucky and West Virginia. The further south you go, the more southern it gets. The further north you go, the more northern it gets....for Texas the farther west you go, the less Southern and more Western it gets, the farther east, the more Southern. The lower Midwestern states (Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio) also have the same type of behavior...further north you go, the more Midwestern it gets, further south you go, the more southern it gets.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:20 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,124,053 times
Quote:
Vasinger, maybe you think the South is so wonderful that you're dying to be a part of it, but you should get over it. Put it anyway you want...you're not in the South. You might be country, but neither Virginia or D.C. are the South. You're welcome to visit this state anytime so I can show you what the South is.

Here is a map of the Sunbelt:

Shoot, that map doesn't even include Kentucky and Tennessee. Its in no way shape or form an accurate depiction of the South.

Virginia IS the South. Its the Upper South . D.C. may be ambigious, but Virginia is a Southern state.

By the same token, You can visit Richmond, so I can show you the REAL South.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I said that Virginia is mid-Atlantic. Just like Texas is South Central. Only difference is that I feel that Texas is a transitional state. To me, North Carolina is the transitional state in a way. It has its southern qualities, but it's just not deep down, to the gut southern.

Still, what's annoying me is how Vasinger has the nerve to claim that Texas is not the South as if it's officially set in stone that Virginia is a southern state, when many people consider it to mid-Atlantic and northern. On the other hand, not a single person who has truly been to East Texas can deny that it is the South. There's no way around it. I don't know what world he is living in.
Virginia is the farthest south of the Mid-Altantic states, and its really a South Atlantic State- along with the Carolinas, Georgia, and Florida, and it has more in common in every way with the Carolinas than it does New Jersey or New York. Everything from its climate and culture. And in no way shape or form is Virginia a Northern state. Not even Northern Virginia which is very transient and a state of its own.

Its obvious you know little about Virginia. I grew up in Virginia, and I know that I'm from the South.

We Virginians don't consider your Texas the Real South. Now, some Texans may be Southern- esp in East Texas, but its not part of the OLD SOUTH. The Real South is Virginia, the Carolinas, TN, KY, And as far south and west as Louisiana.

But again, we're getting off topic here. This topic is not whether or not Virginia is the South (it most definitely is)

This topic is about the ambiguity of Washington, D.C.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:55 AM

3,073 posts, read 10,768,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Shoot, that map doesn't even include Kentucky and Tennessee. Its in no way shape or form an accurate depiction of the South.

Virginia IS the South. Its the Upper South . D.C. may be ambigious, but Virginia is a Southern state.

By the same token, You can visit Richmond, so I can show you the REAL South.
I assure you that the map is accurate. Don't need to visit Richmond because I've been there plenty of times. I was born in Virginia.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:01 AM

Quote:

Its obvious you know little about Virginia. I grew up in Virginia, and I know that I'm from the South.
I've already asked you to not speak for all Virginians because they do not all feel the same way as you. And as you assume that I know little about Virginia, I will assume the same thing about you and Texas.

Quote:
We Virginians don't consider your Texas the Real South.
Not even half of Virginia or D.C.'s culture is comparable with a state such as Georgia. Your area is not the South.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:31 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,953,132 times
I posted this earlier on another thread from the US embassy:
About the USA > Travel > The Regions of the United States

scroll up and down to view the different regions.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:
I've already asked you to not speak for all Virginians because they do not all feel the same way as you. And as you assume that I know little about Virginia, I will assume the same thing about you and Texas.

Not even half of Virginia or D.C.'s culture is comparable with a state such as Georgia. Your area is not the South.
Mpope, that map is not accurate. According to the map California is part of the South! And TN and KY aren't??

Northern Virginia might be in question, but Richmond and nearby environs is most definitely the South.

In fact I know people from the Deeper South who come here and tell me its more Southern here than there. Richmond is much like Charleston and Savannah.

And BTW, I'm sure not all Texans feel the same way as you. Most Texans I meet tell me they are Westerners, not Southerners.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:

MPope,

I've been to Georgia. I went to Atlanta and toured Margaret Mitchell House. It doesnt feel at all like Richmond. It feels Northern. At least Atlanta does.

In fact - The tour guide (who was from Savannah) told me she liked my southern accent. She asked me where I was from and I told her Richmond, Virginia. And she said "Oh, you're a fellow Southerner".

If a lady from Savannah Georgia, considers Richmond the South, then it most certainly is !

Old 06-15-2007, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Mpope, that map is not accurate. According to the map California is part of the South! And TN and KY aren't??
That map does not depict the South. It's depicting the Sunbelt.

Quote:
Northern Virginia might be in question, but Richmond and nearby environs is most definitely the South.
Make up your mind. Is northern VA southern or not?

Quote:
In fact I know people from the Deeper South who come here and tell me its more Southern here than there.
And BTW, I'm sure not all Texans feel the same way as you. Most Texans I meet tell me they are Westerners, not Southerners.
You're lying, Vasinger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or