Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Washington DC: Southern, Northern, or No Man's Land?
Northern City with Southern Overtones 13 33.33%
Southern city with Northern Overtones 4 10.26%
A hybrid of both 13 33.33%
No Man's Land- its neither duck nor pond. 9 23.08%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 04:42 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,775,340 times

Advertisements

Even as a dye-in-the-wool Southerner, I have a hard time accepting Washington as a true Northern City.

Having been there many times, it feels vastly different from say New York, Boston, or Philadelphia. Its long hot humid summers and mild winters, are certainly something too. And it is below the Mason Dixon line. The cherry Blossoms, and the fact that 50 years ago it was a Country and Western Music Capital (back when Country Music was distinctly Southern and not International as it is now), I would say Washington is a Southern city with Northern overtones.

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 06:18 PM

20,499 posts, read 33,299,328 times
It's a hybrid of both. You see the southern culture as well as the Northern Culture in DC. You also see it in Maryland as well as NOVA. Which is why the region is called Mid-Atlantic.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It's a hybrid of both. You see the southern culture as well as the Northern Culture in DC. You also see it in Maryland as well as NOVA. Which is why the region is called Mid-Atlantic.
I agree with that. I dont think I consider Richmond and further south Mid-Atlantic, though, would you?

South of Fredericksburg its really the Southeast.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:59 PM

20,499 posts, read 33,299,328 times
You know, I was struggling with that as soon as I made the post. I think when get south of Fredericksburg, there's no doubt you're in the South. But no, I don't consider Richmond to be Mid-Atlantic. But Fredericksburg has elements of the Mid-Atlantic. It's not that far from the DC area.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:05 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,334,257 times
Well, since Washington, D.C. is the capital of the United States, it doesn't make sense to call it Northern or Southern, but honestly if you want my two cents worth, Washington to me is the beginning of the Northeastern Seaboard...to me it starts at Washington, goes to Baltimore, Wilmington, Philadelphia, New York, ultimately to Boston. Nothing about Washington seemed Southern to me.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:28 PM

5,161 posts, read 11,397,315 times
The only southern thing was the hot humid yucky weather

Old 06-08-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Well, since Washington, D.C. is the capital of the United States, it doesn't make sense to call it Northern or Southern, but honestly if you want my two cents worth, Washington to me is the beginning of the Northeastern Seaboard...to me it starts at Washington, goes to Baltimore, Wilmington, Philadelphia, New York, ultimately to Boston. Nothing about Washington seemed Southern to me.
Compared to New York, Philly, and Boston, yes, D.C. has a totally different vibe to it.

Compared to Charleston South Carolina, or Richmond, DC is more Northern.

DC doesn't feel like a truly northern city to me.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:40 AM

33 posts, read 157,192 times
Default Dc

One of the reasons DC is located at were its at today is becasue many people in the revolution days wanted to make the south happy and feel more included. They called it a southern city. I think because it is sandwiched inbetween a northern state and a southern state we should think of it as a neutral city.

Old 06-09-2007, 06:03 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,334,257 times
Well, in terms of paced, D.C. certainly does not have the laid-back lifestyle of a Southern city....very busy and very active. I dunno. It's the capital...I think it behaves more like a Northern city than a Southern one personally. Compare D.C. to Richmond and you'll notice VAST differences.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:45 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,036,129 times
... what is the old saying describing DC, northern charm and southern efficiency?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.