Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Washington DC: Southern, Northern, or No Man's Land?
Northern City with Southern Overtones 13 33.33%
Southern city with Northern Overtones 4 10.26%
A hybrid of both 13 33.33%
No Man's Land- its neither duck nor pond. 9 23.08%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 01:31 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,765,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUEMINI331 View Post
As far as I'm concerned, the Mason-Dixon line is at the VA-NC border, not D.C.

The Mason Dixon Line isn't in DC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 01:41 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,797,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
The Mason Dixon Line isn't in DC
I think he/she might be a troll trying to start something....

Notice how they posted the exact same reponse on another DC thread.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:08 PM

539 posts, read 1,924,021 times
Not trying to start anything, I"m a student working full time. I hardly have the time. I know historically the Mason Dixon line is b/w Maryland and Pennsylvania. I know that really means nothing anymore, because Maryland is not the South. Just offering an opinion. I already said ahead of time that I posted the exact same thing on the other thread because I didn't see this thread at first. I just have a different take on this and wanted to hear what other people have to say. As someone who lived in Alabama for over 20 years, I have to say that I don't consider any part of Virginia southern. I don't see it. I really don't.

Hell, VA doesn't even have any SEC schools. That alone IMO is good criteria as to what is southern and what is not. We all know how much southerners love college football. If your state does not have an SEC team, you're definitely not in the South. Except for Texas, they're kind of an exception, at least in the Houston and Dallas areas. But no other exceptions!

Old 09-10-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
No part of Richmond feels Southern to you?? Are you sure? To me Richmond is more Southern than say Atlanta or Charlotte.

I would agree about Hampton Roads and NOVA because they are so transient- but Richmond oozes Southern.

Richmond is in no way shape or form a "northern" city. That is absurd.

In some ways Virginia rivals the Deep South in Southern things- like cooking, bbq, accents, etc.

Robert E. Lee was from Virginia and Richmond was the Capital of the Confederacy

Virginia was the Birthplace of Country Music. Country Music Legend Patsy Cline was from Winchester.

Lots of people in Virginia have Southern accents. Virginia was a Southern state before Alabama even existed.

How is Richmond different from Baltimore or D.C.? They're both fairly fast paced, large metropolitan East Coast cities. They all have that same, intangible, hard to explain, northeastern feel. I don't see Richmond being very southern at all. Not now, not in 2007. At one point in time, sure it was a southern city, capital of the Confederacy. I know the history, I know about the Civil War. But that was then, this is now. Again I ask, what about Richmond is southern?

I know VA in and out I have family there. Even in Roanoke, VA, which is not far from Tennessee and North Carolina, it didn't really seem........southern. The accent thing is big. If I don't hear locals who speak with that infamous southern twang, it can't be a southern city. You sent me a youtube link of you speaking with your "Virginia accent" and I have to tell you - you don't have a southern accent at all. Don't feel bad - people have always told me that I didn't sound like I was from the South, and now that I live in Chicago I hear it all the time. Doesn't offend me in the least bit, becuase I know they expected me to sound like a buffoon as soon as I open my mouth. Clearly I don't so if anything I take it as a complement.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:17 PM

699 posts, read 2,236,555 times
Quote:
Not trying to start anything, I"m a student working full time. I hardly have the time. I know historically the Mason Dixon line is b/w Maryland and Pennsylvania. I know that really means nothing anymore, because Maryland is not the South. Just offering an opinion. I already said ahead of time that I posted the exact same thing on the other thread because I didn't see this thread at first. I just have a different take on this and wanted to hear what other people have to say. As someone who lived in Alabama for over 20 years, I have to say that I don't consider any part of Virginia southern. I don't see it. I really don't. Hell, VA doesn't even have any SEC schools. That alone IMO is good criteria as to what is southern and what is not. We all know how much southerners love college football. If your state does not have an SEC team, you're definitely not in the South. Except for Texas, they're kind of an exception, at least in the Houston and Dallas areas. But no other exceptions!
What about North Carolina then? North Carolina doesn't belong to the South since they don't have any schools in the SEC?

The VA schools of UVA and Virginia Tech are in the ACC. All the schools in the ACC with the exception of Boston College which was recently added and Maryland are regarded Southern Schools.

Virginia, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Duke, Wake Forest, Clemson, Florida State, Miami, Georgia Tech

Old 09-10-2007, 03:21 PM

Damn, I forgot about North Carolina not having SEC schools. OK, you beat me

I don't know................let's just say it like this - if Virginia is in the South, it's kind of like a borderline southern state if you will. It's certainly not the Deep South like Mississppi, Alabama, Louisiana, and Georgia. Virginia is kind of like a lite version of "the South". The "semi-South" if that makes any sense. It gets in by default, it's considered part of the South only because of history; it's never been considered part of any other region. Kind of like how the title of Queen of England doesn't mean anything but since that family has been royalty for so long they continue to call her the Queen? It'd be like that. Agreed?

Old 09-10-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Damn, I forgot about North Carolina not having SEC schools. OK, you beat me

I don't know................let's just say it like this - if Virginia is in the South, it's kind of like a borderline southern state if you will. It's certainly not the Deep South like Mississppi, Alabama, Louisiana, and Georgia. Virginia is kind of like a lite version of "the South". The "semi-South" if that makes any sense. It gets in by default, it's considered part of the South only because of history; it's never been considered part of any other region. Kind of like how the title of Queen of England doesn't mean anything but since that family has been royalty for so long they continue to call her the Queen? It'd be like that. Agreed?
I never said Virginia was the Deep South- but yes I will take "border South" But really I prefer the term "Upper South". Kentucky is also the Upper South as well. If you go 'round calling us Virginians and Kentuckians Yankees, you will have to prepare for another War.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:05 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,765,129 times
NOVAns are yankees

Old 09-10-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
How is Richmond different from Baltimore or D.C.? They're both fairly fast paced, large metropolitan East Coast cities. They all have that same, intangible, hard to explain, northeastern feel. I don't see Richmond being very southern at all. Not now, not in 2007. At one point in time, sure it was a southern city, capital of the Confederacy. I know the history, I know about the Civil War. But that was then, this is now. Again I ask, what about Richmond is southern?

I know VA in and out I have family there. Even in Roanoke, VA, which is not far from Tennessee and North Carolina, it didn't really seem........southern. The accent thing is big. If I don't hear locals who speak with that infamous southern twang, it can't be a southern city. You sent me a youtube link of you speaking with your "Virginia accent" and I have to tell you - you don't have a southern accent at all. Don't feel bad - people have always told me that I didn't sound like I was from the South, and now that I live in Chicago I hear it all the time. Doesn't offend me in the least bit, becuase I know they expected me to sound like a buffoon as soon as I open my mouth. Clearly I don't so if anything I take it as a complement.
Richmond fast paced? Are you kidding?

Richmond is very very Southern. I don't know where you get the idea that Richmond is some megalopolis city. We're the Capital of the South!

I have been to Atlanta and Charlotte and they aren't half as Southern in feel as Richmond. Why, Richmond just oozes Southern on every corner.

The tree lined streets of dogwoods and magnolias. The large white columned Mansions on Monument Ave.

People who talk about the Country Club of Virginia and "The James Rivah".....

The Old South is very much alive and well in Richmond....

Not all Southerners are gonna sound like "Larry The Cable Guy". There are regional differences in the South in the accents.

Many people from Georgia and South Carolina I know feel very much at home here in Central Virginia- some even say our Southern feel rivals the Deep South.

And yes- I actually do have a Southern accent. Its very light, but its there. I don't sound like any Yankee.

Its just not your garden variety hush mouthed South Alabama accent that is hyped over and over.

These pictures alone testify Richmond's Southern city pride. D.C. may be like the North now, but Richmond is Southern to the core!

Beautiful Richmond, Virginia Photo Gallery by Meade Skelton at pbase.com

Old 09-10-2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
NOVAns are yankees
Thats 'cause 90% of them are not from Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.