Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Washington DC: Southern, Northern, or No Man's Land?
Northern City with Southern Overtones 13 33.33%
Southern city with Northern Overtones 4 10.26%
A hybrid of both 13 33.33%
No Man's Land- its neither duck nor pond. 9 23.08%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 03:37 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Are the things I listed not characteristics shared by Southern states?

I'm certainly not erasing history. I've already said that DC, MD, DE, WV have some Southern history, but in most cases the Northern qualities/attributes drown that out. Over 90% of DC residents think it's Northern. Could so many people be mistaken? Atlanta is still undenaibly Southern, shown in the facts I've pointed out before and it's subjective culture.
Sorry, but you have shown no facts at all, just extremely subjective, misinformed opinion.

We've been down this road many times. Facts are backed up by sources and links, not biased opinion.

Oh, and as far as Waffle House goes, Atlanta is their HQ's. Of course they are going to be blanketed across the city - the exact same way DD is blanketed across Boston. Also, there are no Harris-Teeters or Piggly Wiggly's here (please!) - try Publix & Kroger for the market leaders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 06:52 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
um, it kind of will. once a strectch of burbs goes completely to richmond they WILL call it northern, because for that to happen there'd need to be huge amounts of northern immigration, thus changing the culture forever.
Then Charlotte, Raleigh, and Atlanta are Northern. C'mon now....

Old 03-03-2010, 09:26 PM

871 posts, read 2,248,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Then Charlotte, Raleigh, and Atlanta are Northern. C'mon now....
more and more everyday

Old 03-04-2010, 12:58 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,747,321 times
Charlotte, Raleigh, and Atlanta are surrounded by the South, even if they aren't very Southern, so it's hard to call them anything but Southern. DC on the other hand is closer to the North, so I can see how people would include it in the lower part of the North.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Charlotte, Raleigh, and Atlanta are surrounded by the South, even if they aren't very Southern, so it's hard to call them anything but Southern. DC on the other hand is closer to the North, so I can see how people would include it in the lower part of the North.
no its hard to ay that they arent in the southern region. but when discussiing their culture you can call them like they really are

Old 03-04-2010, 11:41 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Here are some tests to determine whether a city fits properly into the Northeast Region:

How many Dunkin Donuts are there? Compare Boston to Washington, DC.

https://www.dunkindonuts.com/aboutus/store/search.aspx

Compare the number of Sunoco gas stations to the number of Exxon gas stations in a given area. The more Sunocos, the more northern the city is. The more Exxons, the more southern the city is.

station locator
http://www.sunoco.navisite.com/index.html

Is the city known for a particular food? For example, Boston Baked Beans, New York Style Cheesecake, Philadelphia Cream Cheese, Baltimore Crab Cake.

Do you have to pay a toll anywhere to either enter or exit the city?

Can you drive more than 15 mins in any direction without being detoured?

Old 03-04-2010, 06:49 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,214,446 times
I can't believe some of you get so bothered by this. How is this a 30 page topic? DC is DC. That's it. It doesn't matter what region it is in. Cities don't change just because you cross an imaginary line into another region. DC is just as different from Philly as it is from Atlanta as it is from Austin as it is from LA. It's it's own city.

If you want to go by stereotypical traits, it would be more northern to us. I don't know anyone from DC that considers it a southern city and we live here. Those of you that visited once or saw it in a movie most likely don't know much about it. We all consider it northern and I don't think anyone in DC really loses sleep over what some tourist on an internet forum thinks about the city.

And about that last post... Dunkin Donuts? Are you serious? That's your way of determining the region of the country that a city is in? HAHA Also cities all over the country are known for certain foods. Half smokes are one of DC's things. As well as mambo sauce. Still not sure what that has to do anything pertaining to its region. You also get detoured all the time in DC. Especially downtown. Makes it tough memorizing running routes for my job. When I have to respond to an emergency and barricades get put up in certain spots for whatever is going on. Many are built into the ground and raised up so being in a shiny red truck with lights doesn't even help. haha

Old 03-04-2010, 07:36 PM

chains are an idiotic way of gauging a regions culture. just look at dialect, ancestry, customs, cuisine, etc. not whether or not they have bojangles

Old 03-05-2010, 05:50 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Here are some tests to determine whether a city fits properly into the Northeast Region:

How many Dunkin Donuts are there? Compare Boston to Washington, DC.

https://www.dunkindonuts.com/aboutus/store/search.aspx

Compare the number of Sunoco gas stations to the number of Exxon gas stations in a given area. The more Sunocos, the more northern the city is. The more Exxons, the more southern the city is.

station locator (http://map.exxonmobillocator.com/locator.php - broken link)
http://www.sunoco.navisite.com/index.html

Is the city known for a particular food? For example, Boston Baked Beans, New York Style Cheesecake, Philadelphia Cream Cheese, Baltimore Crab Cake.

Do you have to pay a toll anywhere to either enter or exit the city?

Can you drive more than 15 mins in any direction without being detoured?
What is there's neither? I do think it is funny that all the sunocos are in Indiana lol

Old 03-05-2010, 05:51 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
chains are an idiotic way of gauging a regions culture. just look at dialect, ancestry, customs, cuisine, etc. not whether or not they have bojangles
We used to have bojangles. I miss it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.