Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 05:47 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,755,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Even within rural Illinois, Cairo is a world away from Champaign, which is a world away from Galena.
Cairo is closer to Oxford, MS, than it is to Chicago. And you're right about the Champaign comparison: central Illinois is definitely the North. Well before Cairo or even Carbondale, you're talking about the South. the southern areas of IL, IN, and OH were all settled via the Ohio River, the first areas of settlement in each of their states. this migration westward was more a southern thing, a movement with roots in Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 07:44 AM

10,720 posts, read 23,628,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
In all seriousness though, i've always thought of West Texas as not really all that Texan. More like New Mexico. It's much different there than it is here in the triangle.
That's interesting, here we think Hobbs, Clovis, and Portales, NM should be given away to Texas as they are culturally closer to Lubbock and Amarillo. I could see El Paso fitting into NM though, they have an accent that is pretty close to the native New Mexico accent.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:53 AM

43,303 posts, read 43,968,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm thinking of areas like Upper Michigan, the far western reach of Florida/Pensacola, the far west area of Oklahoma or Maryland, as examples.

Do you live in an area of a state where you identify more with a neighboring state?
I live in NYC and I don't particularly identify with Upstate NY. But I don't identify either with the neighboring states of NJ and CT. but they are closer and interacts probably with people from these areas in NYC more than the Upstate NYC.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:56 AM
cml

180 posts, read 288,587 times
I completely agree with this post

Old 01-11-2014, 08:50 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,923,965 times
I'm located in the western third of Montana, about 170 miles west of the Continental Divide, and I've always thought that this area would combine nicely with Northern Idaho (and of course the best part of such an arrangement ever materializing would be a shorter drive to North Dakota!).

Old 01-12-2014, 10:38 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,248,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Charleston in South Carolina. Charleston and the surrounding area is a quaint nostalgic place on the scenic Atlantic coast, where the rest of the state is basically very rural and unattractive.
I don't find South Carolina unattractive at all. Charleston might be the only architectural gem in the state, but there's natural beauty all over SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.