U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-18-2010, 11:42 AM

19,646 posts, read 51,198,428 times

Advertisements

The far West Coast gets the least lightning if I remember right. The south gets hit the hardest, followed by the Plains States. We get several thunderstorms a year here in the Midwest, but theyre short lived. The skies can darken quickly, get tons of lightning and rain, then theyre gone, just like that. I remember last summer we were at a Burger King grabbing some dinner. The ride there was gorgeous, 80 degrees, sunny. When we parked we noticed it getting dark out west. Real dark! While ordering our food it started to pour (this all happened in a 2-3 minute time span) with lots of thunder. THis lasted about 15 minutes, then just as quick as it happened, it was gone, pure sunshine. 30 minutes later the roads were completely dry like nothing ever happened.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 11:57 AM

9,218 posts, read 12,366,786 times
Growing up in Southern California, I remember having thunderstorms less than a dozen times between birth and age 20.

Here in Denver, we have T-storms seemingly daily during the summer. We get pretty severe storms here. I've seen some pretty intense storms in Ridgecrest, CA, and Pullman, WA (worst I've ever seen) as well (though neither place seems to get too many).

Old 04-18-2010, 12:21 PM

7,413 posts, read 3,481,056 times
California has very few thunderstorms & most occur during winter along the coast & during summer in the mountains & deserts. According to climate data, the Pacific NW has the least amount of thunderstorms after Alaska. But I have heard that Hawaii also has very few thunderstorms. So the entire Far West is probably the region for least amount of thunderstorms.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:48 PM

3,394 posts, read 2,590,988 times
Don't move to these places if you don't like severe weather!!!

Old 05-21-2010, 01:37 PM

74 posts, read 95,778 times
im asking because i hate thunderstorms.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:48 PM

424 posts, read 527,722 times
I love thunderstorms, and I grew up in San Francisco. I think I may have seen 20 thunderstorms in my first 20 years of growing up. 15 out of those 20, only had one random bolt of lightning. There may have been 2 or 3 real thunderstorms.

Seattle, SF, LA, SD (however LA and SD can have moisture from the southwest creep on over which may spawn a few t-storms) rarely get Tstorms. Parts of Maine, and extreme north east dont get Tstorms often. Florida, Gulf states (execpt extreme southern TX) get tons of Tstorms.

http://www.weather.gov/os/lightning/..._Flash_Map.gif
Vaisaa

Map of lightning strikes per km.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:53 PM

745 posts, read 1,081,525 times
I know in really Humid States, the Southeast it may rain and storm almost everyday, like its doing here in Charlotte.

I love Storms and Rain, Born during Hurrican Hugo when it hit Charlotte in '89

Old 05-25-2010, 05:04 PM

240 posts, read 563,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chtucker18 View Post
im asking because i hate thunderstorms.
Having been born and raised in the South, I began to dislike thunderstorms with a passion. They are pretty in pictures, but the constant booms scare the heck out of me and I much prefer a storm where you just get the rain without all the constant flashing and booms. But I agree with those who said that CA and other Western states do not get many thunderstorms.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:38 PM

1,583 posts, read 1,423,855 times
West Coast..

Old 05-25-2010, 10:14 PM

3,010 posts, read 3,017,826 times
I live in Michigan and we get lots of severe thunderstorms here. We had a guy at work transfer out here from the northeast, and he about freaked out the first time he saw one of our storms. They must not get real severe weather over there, because that guy would jump so high everytime you would really hear a boom. It was kinda funny, he looked like a scared dog looking for a place to hide. We have all lived with them every spring/summer for our entire lives, but he had never really seen anything like that. If your looking for a place without severe storms, Id say the northeast must be your place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.